Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-31-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Bold font in LRF - or just Calibre

I notice when I create LRFs in Calibre, if I have bolded font, it's always italicized in the LRF, even if it wasn't in the original file.

Is there a way to specify when to add italics (I assume it thinks these are headings of some sort) and a way to have it not add italics?

If it helps to know: I start out with an RTF file that I've formatted the way I like. I import it to Mobipocket Creator and make a PRC file. I use the HTML output from Creator to import to Calibre to create the LRF. (I've had too much trouble with RTF and Calibre, so I don't try a direct conversion from RTF to LRF).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try converting the PRC directly
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 02:33 AM   #3
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope. Bold text is still italicized (only in Sony Reader, not in Calibre viewer). And the book created from the Mobipocket book lost any differences in font sizes, even though the Mobipocket displayed them.

I also tried saving the file as a filter HTML in Word before I converted it to anything else. The resulting LRF first crashed the Reader, then it displayed the same as the HTML created by Mobi Creator.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:43 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Open a ticket and attach the file
Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
FizzyWater

Kovid, I took a second look at this. I thought I should run it by you here, before I wasted your time with a ticket.

As I mentioned above, I regularly use Bold and Bold Italic font in my RTFs. From those, I make a Mobipocket file. From the HTML made by Mobipocket Creator, I make the LRF (and the ePub that keeps crashing, but that's a different thread).

The Mobipocket Reader shows them as I designed them. The Calibre viewer shows the bold, but not the italic.

And the Sony eBook Library shows ALL bold font as italicized, whether I intended it to be or not. The Sony program displays it the way I see it on the Reader.

So it seems to me, this is a Sony rendering issue, and not a Calibre conversion issue. Would you agree?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobi conversion.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	25739   Click image for larger version

Name:	LRF conversion - viewed in Calibre.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	25740   Click image for larger version

Name:	LRF conversion - viewed in Sony eBook Library.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	25741  
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

the calibre viewer should be showing the italics as well, so open a ticket.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
Jens500
Jens500 began at the beginning.

Device: PSR-505 deutsch
I had the same problem. The solution was to insert the used font in the "Embedded Fonts"-Section in the category Look&Feel".
Jens500 is offline   Reply With Quote