Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcat1017 View Post
...publishers that are the worst offenders (*coughMacmillancough*) and try to get them to knock it off. It drives me absolutely bonkers.
They're definitely one of the worst, although Simon & Schuster seems to be trying really hard lately for the title of worst ebook publisher.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Anyway, I don't really know what all this means except that it seems like you need to know someone in order to get anything fixed, but sometimes even that doesn't work. I would love to get some sort of petition or something together to send to the publishers that are the worst offenders (*coughMacmillancough*) and try to get them to knock it off. It drives me absolutely bonkers.
Don't be too nasty to Pan-Macmillan - they are pretty much the only "mainstream" publisher who are producing DRM-free books. That earns them a few "brownie points" in my book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #33
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They're definitely one of the worst, although Simon & Schuster seems to be trying really hard lately for the title of worst ebook publisher.
I'll second that. They are driving me crazy!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #34
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Yes, they use to be the best, now in a matter of months they've become one of the worst.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #35
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'll second that. They are driving me crazy!
I'll third that. They're driving me freaking nuts! I sent them a question a month ago and have yet to get a reply!!!

Last edited by MarciaCat; 02-27-2009 at 01:45 AM.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #36
shadowcat1017
Gadget Geek
shadowcat1017 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Pre (pReader app)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't be too nasty to Pan-Macmillan - they are pretty much the only "mainstream" publisher who are producing DRM-free books. That earns them a few "brownie points" in my book.
Really? Because all the Macmillan books I have in my wishlist have DRM in them. I was unaware that they offered any significant amount of DRM-free material. That does, indeed, earn them some brownie points. I'm a huge fan of Baen for exactly that reason; it's just unfortunate that I don't read all that many of their authors. I'm a huge Lois McMaster Bujold fan, and I like Mercedes Lackey, David Weber and a few other assorted Baen authors, but I wish I liked more of what they have to offer so I could support their DRM-free endeavor. I also wish more publishers would follow their example.
shadowcat1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:36 AM   #37
ssaxt0
ssaxt0 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I saw someone mention a petition but I am not sure what good it will do since they do not even give an excuse. I sent my email to S&S and they have yet to respond and this was days ago but their automated support email stated they would get back to be with 48 hours. Five days and counting.
ssaxt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:10 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Really? Because all the Macmillan books I have in my wishlist have DRM in them. I was unaware that they offered any significant amount of DRM-free material.
Apparently all their ePub books are DRM-free.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ssaxt0, it's not the eBook shops that are at fault for the raised prices of Simon and Shuster's eBook prices. Just go to their website and you will see that the eBook prices are indeed higher than the pBook editions. They are charging $9.99 for a $7.99 pBook. And I know a number of people elsewhere have also sent messages to them (myself included) with no reply. Basically, I think the reasoning is that they could give a shit about eBooks and by raising the price, they can drive us away and when they don't sell, they can justify dropping them. They already seem to have dropped MS Reader as one of their eBook format.

As an example, the latest Star Trek eBook is not available at Fictionwise in anything other than eReader. So what this says is that we have a fight on our hands for decent eBooks with reasonable prices.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ssaxt0, it's not the eBook shops that are at fault for the raised prices of Simon and Shuster's eBook prices. Just go to their website and you will see that the eBook prices are indeed higher than the pBook editions. They are charging $9.99 for a $7.99 pBook. And I know a number of people elsewhere have also sent messages to them (myself included) with no reply. Basically, I think the reasoning is that they could give a shit about eBooks and by raising the price, they can drive us away and when they don't sell, they can justify dropping them. They already seem to have dropped MS Reader as one of their eBook format.

I still think someone new took over their ebook department or something. It's just such a 180 from the way they used to be.

I too have tried contacting them with no luck. I used to get a response within a day or two from them, now nothing.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #41
ClintBrauer
Enthusiast
ClintBrauer doesn't litterClintBrauer doesn't litterClintBrauer doesn't litter

Device: Readius
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I usually buy at Fictionwise, I have to agree that it is easier to have most your books at one site!

However I will buy books at BoB, generally my reason for doing so is that BoB often has new releases earlier than Fictionwise. Fictionwise only releases new books on Mondays, which means if they did not put it on that list then you have to wait a week for it. Hey what can I say? I get impatient! :-)

I think that the competition between Fictionwise and BoB is a good thing.

If I price seems high to me at Fictionwise I check BoB and see what their price is.

Amy
Don't forget about CyberRead.com. We are ramping up and will have all the formats you want soon. (right now we are chiefly Mobipocket)

Also, make sure you sign up for our newsletter as we do offer deals via the newsletter on a weekly basis. (at a minimum)

Sorry about the self-serving post....

Clint Brauer
General Manager
CyberRead.com
ClintBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #42
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintBrauer View Post
Don't forget about CyberRead.com. We are ramping up and will have all the formats you want soon. (right now we are chiefly Mobipocket)

Also, make sure you sign up for our newsletter as we do offer deals via the newsletter on a weekly basis. (at a minimum)

Clint Brauer
General Manager
CyberRead.com
If you can - get ADE with Adobe's DRM so Sony users can buy from your store.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintBrauer View Post

Clint Brauer
General Manager
CyberRead.com
Are you going to be supporting ePub (hopefully)?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #44
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
If only CyberRead had books without DRM. (I'm not anti-DRM; it's just I'm restricted by my Kindle.)
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:29 AM   #45
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Someone mentioned Macmillan and drmless ebooks earlier - just to clear that up; in the UK at least, Pan Macmillan are selling DRM-free ebooks in multiple formats direct from their website.

If they're sold through other websites - Waterstones in the UK, say - they have DRM on them, so the way to go is buy direct from their own website at www.panmacmillan.com (why they would have DRM on outside bookselling websites is a bit strange; I know that their head of digital publishing is very against DRM, so I can only assume that the bookseller sites such as Waterstones insist on the use of DRM, rather than the other way around).

According to a press release last year, the intention of UK Pan Macmillan is to publish all their subsequent black and white titles simultaneously in e-editions. This puts them ahead of most other publishers in my opinion (I'll have to declare some personal interest here since I'm published by them).
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote