Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-07-2014, 04:21 AM   #1
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
How to change the "inline TOC" template?

The editor lets you turn the internal ToC into an inline ToC (an XHTML file called "toc.xhtml"), but where is the template for this? The heading is normally "Table of Contents" but I've noticed that when editing books (in English) from foreign sources the heading will come out in German or Swedish or whatever, and I have to edit this manually... where does this get picked up from?

Also the page includes a set of standard CSS rules, which for <li> include "padding-left: 2em", and I generally change this manually to zero.

I can't find the template that generates the ToC file anywhere... so my question is, is there a way to fix it so that (a) it always uses English and (b) I can set the standard styles the way I want them?
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:30 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is not user customizable.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2014, 04:38 AM   #3
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

OK. But:
a) I'm still puzzled how it picks up the language locale... is this encoded in the book somewhere? Where does Calibre get the localised text from?

b) Wouldn't it be a good idea for the future to generate the inline ToC from a template in a file somwhere that users can customise, rather than hard-coding it?
Old 11-07-2014, 04:55 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

a) language is taken from the book's metadata

b) Not particularly, the only templatable part is 3 lines of css which is trivial to replace with your own. And it will become even more trivial once the editor gets support for snippets
Old 11-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
b) Not particularly, the only templatable part is 3 lines of css which is trivial to replace with your own. And it will become even more trivial once the editor gets support for snippets
Hmm, but it's still something i have to do by hand every time... and yet there are user-editable templates for HTML and CSS files which seem to be just as trivial...
Advert
Old 11-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I have no objection to making it a template, I just have higher priority things on my plate, patches are welcome
Old 11-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I had a minute, so here you go: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...ffa656b01c7fb7
Old 11-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
I had a minute, so here you go:
Words alone cannot express. You're amazing.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Just upgraded to 2.11, and in the editor Prefs -> Editor Settings -> Change Templates, I still only have a choice of HTML or CSS.

The 2.10 release notes say "Edit Book: Make the CSS used for styling the generated HTML Table of Contents user customizable via http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/customize.html#overriding-icons-templates-et-cetera" but if I follow the instructions given by this link I can't find the template to change it.

Am I just being stupid again, or is something missing?
Old 11-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Read http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...ates-et-cetera

and follow those instructions for customizing the template
Old 11-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #11
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Read http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...ates-et-cetera

and follow those instructions for customizing the template
Uh huh. This is what I did (see my previous post) but I can't find the template anywhere... Which file do I need to look at?

(Also, wouldn't it make sense to add this to the "edit template" menu as TOC along with HTML and CSS? More work for you, I know, but...)
Old 11-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

templates/inline_toc_styles.css
Old 12-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #13
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

I go to Preferences->Advanced->Miscellaneous and press Open Calibre Configuration Directory, and there is no "templates" folder... let alone the CSS file you specified.

Of course I could create the folder and the file, but it seems a bit bizarre if everyone has to go through this process and pester you for the correct filename every time...
Old 12-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
I go to Preferences->Advanced->Miscellaneous and press Open Calibre Configuration Directory, and there is no "templates" folder... let alone the CSS file you specified.

Of course I could create the folder and the file, but it seems a bit bizarre if everyone has to go through this process and pester you for the correct filename every time...
Paragraph 2 in the referenced instructions

It is quite possible that Resources or their children do not exist yet in the configuration folder, since they are almost always created by user actions.

BTW If you don't find the source version of the template/Icon/whatever in Resources of the install folder. You my not be running a current version of Calibre (Like us XP users).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #15
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
BTW If you don't find the source version of the template/Icon/whatever in Resources of the install folder. You my not be running a current version of Calibre (Like us XP users).
Aha. Yes, it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\resources\templates. (I'm running Win7/64, Calibre 2.10 btw)

What a pain to run around all over the place to find this -- must nicer if it were on the template menu in the editor preferences... oh well.

Thanks for solving this for me!