Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 11:34 PM   #721
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I tried counting how many books I bought qualifying under the settlement. When I got tired of counting I had reached about $30 worth of credit under the old estimates. Whatever it is, I anticipate a lot of book buying ahead, plus a very small check from Sony.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #722
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
So it's not the cliffhanger that bothers you so much as the size of the book? [or lack thereof ] !

I've done that too, bought a book and not paid attention to page counts and been startled by an abrupt ending, it all comes down to 'buyer beware' sometimes which sucks but very true with most things nowadays. I'm trying to be more fussy with my buys too.

BTW, you never told me how you liked 'Wethering the Storm'?
And, I finally read your recommended 'Escaping Reality' by Lisa Renee Jones and while it was good, it has a major, major cliffhanger and really very little romance, more suspense I thought, but still well done. Hope the 2nd book is a good price too, IIRC we got those when they were $.99 right?
Have not read Wethering the Storm yet. I haven't had much time to read as of late so I would read Lyon book every few days. I want to be able to give it my undivided attention before I start it.

I've read 120 pages before and had no problem with it. I don't mind cliffhangers like the one in Escaping Reality. I thought Escaping Reality has plenty of romance and just enough suspense. I take you don't read alot of Romantic Suspense? The focus is always on the suspense and the romance is there mixed in, It's just not the focal point. I love Romantic suspense because of this. There is a plot that has to be developed. One of my Favorite series is by Shannon Curtis I love Harlequin Intrigues by Julie Miller or Debra Webb and the black ops series by Lora Leigh is probably my all time favorite.

I'm hoping the second book I get ARC of. I'll have to keep an eye at NetGalley for it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #723
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolive View Post
That's pretty much what I do. I read the negative reviews, then I get a sample and read that before I buy. Reading a sample has caused me to rule out lots of books that have been majorly squee-ed over. Finally, I look for any mention of a cliffhanger or abrupt ending. If the sample didn't grab me, or the reviews mentioned bad grammar or continuity errors, or if there's a cliff-hanger, that's it for the book, it's outta the car.

There are just too many books available, so I think we've all had to come up with our own ways to wade through them.
Some great advice! Thank you! I don't read alot of indies just wade through it each day so I didn't realize how bad it's gotten till now.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #724
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, etc
Blossom - thanks for the info.! I didn't think of it having a different title,
I think she should have kept the original one!.
Now I know to look at the original book descriptions in an author's backlist
if I suspect something is backlist and can't find the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

It was originally published by Dorchester in 1995.
Originally titled: The Savage by Parris Afton Bonds
Originally cover can be seen here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg3 View Post
FREE @ Amazon (sorry for the late posting-I just saw it):

The Maidenhead (historical romance) - Parris Afton Bonds
-Author's site/blog says it's only free today (Sat. 8/31) - so 5-6 hrs left!
-Author has published with Fawcett, Leisure, Ballantine, Silhouette, etc.
-Is this newly written and not a backlist title?
kg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #725
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg3 View Post
Blossom - thanks for the info.! I didn't think of it having a different title,
I think she should have kept the original one!.
Now I know to look at the original book descriptions in an author's backlist
if I suspect something is backlist and can't find the title.
I know right. The new title is like OMG what was she thinking?! If I didn't know it was a backlist title I would have not gone near anything title soooo crudely. yuk!

I hoping the title is a name of a saloon or something because this is a western and that term was not really used in the old west much. When I think of that word I think of the Medieval time period.

Last edited by Blossom; 09-01-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Advert
Old 09-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #726
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I have to brag that I'm getting nothing back on the settlement as when the agency agreement went into effect I stopped purchasing books affected by the agreement. Even now I don't buy books that cost more than a dollar or two. Most agency books will hit one of my libraries and I already own more books than I can read.
I kept buying them, but on discounts of $0.99 to $2.99, mostly (there were one or two full price ones in there).

if the average ends up high enough, I may get back more than I paid for the agency titles...
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #727
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The September thread is now available. Please post new free/bargain romance ebook finds there.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #728
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I have to brag that I'm getting nothing back on the settlement as when the agency agreement went into effect I stopped purchasing books affected by the agreement. Even now I don't buy books that cost more than a dollar or two. Most agency books will hit one of my libraries and I already own more books than I can read.
I got emails saying I should get something back in the settlement, so I must have bought a few, but I too stopped buying books after Agency went into affect.

The one thing I remember is that sometime around the same time Agency went in, Target put Sony gift cards "on sale" for 40% off. I bought a *bunch* of them (like maybe $1000 worth, since I was spending $2500 a year on books before Agency) - so I did buy some books post Agency, since I was unofficially getting that at 40% off. After that...very few.

I've probably spent more in the last couple of weeks with these Kobo codes that some folks have been generous to share than I did (after I used up the Sony credits) once Agency pricing rolled out.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote