Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #16
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert501 View Post
So, my question is this: will I be able to actually SEE the Kindle screen? Is it really "just like paper"? Because if it is, I may need to rethink my Kindle dreams and look at something else.
There are two things to consider, as I mentioned in my previous comment. If your problem is really contrast of text on paper, and not size of the text, then an e-paper reader won't be a great buy. However, if you think a little font enlargement would make a paper-like screen more readable, then e-paper might do the trick.

I posted a little comparison of the new versus the older E-Ink generations compared to a hardcover and a paperback. The photos are very small close-ups but they give an idea of the relative contrast of the various reading surfaces. You can see those photos in this post.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hello! Been lurking here for quite a while and now find myself with a question.

While researching my potential ereader purchase, I've been enjoying the heck out of reading ebooks on the Kindle PC. But, that is ALL I've been reading lol

I haven't picked up a "real" book in 3 or 4 months. So today I happened to try to read one and I can't see the darn thing! The flat print with these old eyes just ain't working anymore.

So, my question is this: will I be able to actually SEE the Kindle screen? Is it really "just like paper"? Because if it is, I may need to rethink my Kindle dreams and look at something else.

Thanks for any input!! Chris
I've held an iPad without finding it too heavy. So I think a DXG would be good for needing a larger type size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
With kindle, you need a very good light source. You know how the ads say you can read it in the sun? What they don't say is you practically NEED sunlight to read it . The more light, the better it looks. I like to go outside, put on sunglasses, sit in the shade while positioning the kindle so sunlight falls right on it. In the evening, I use a bright white light on a flexible arm mount and position it so it points toward the kindle and away from my eyes. This gives the kindle 3 the maximum contrast and makes its background look paper like white.
Of course everyone's eyes are different so you need to figure out what works for you. But don't go cheap and buy a used kindle 2. Buy the kindle 3 with the better screen. If you find you need the font so big that you get too few lines on a page to read enjoyably, then return it and get the DX latest generation. You have 30 days and amazon service is excellent.

I beg to differ. I read indoors exclusively, and the only time I need a lamp is when its getting dark out.....just like with a paper book.

The contrast is just fine without added lighting.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #19
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
With kindle, you need a very good light source. You know how the ads say you can read it in the sun? What they don't say is you practically NEED sunlight to read it . The more light, the better it looks. ...
No more so, and no less so, than a paper book. The Kindle display is IMHO better than the common paperback, certainly better than the cheap paperbacks that pack the page full to the edges with small type to reduce the number of pages and hence the printing cost.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #20
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Yes, the blessing of the Kindle and other readers is the ability to enlarge the font. I had a problem with my eyesight starting last fall and lasting through most of the summer, which was why I got a reader in the first place. After awhile I needed the print so large I was only getting about 5 lines on the page, so I bought a 3rd hand Kindle DX too because of the larger screen. Now my sight is much better but I still love 'em. And I agree with desertgrandma, I don't need any more light than I would with a regular book.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #21
bert501
Connoisseur
bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, bert501.

The beautiful thing about the K3 is the adjustable font...yes, you will be able to see the screen and words beautifully.

Try it already! You have 30 days to return it, no questions asked, if you do not like it. Just pay return shipping. They'll even provide the label.

And......you can download some of the beautiful books here for free to check them out.....Enjoy the forums.
Yes, that 30 day return is VERY tempting!!
bert501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #22
bert501
Connoisseur
bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
This may well be an indication that you need to see an optometrist. It quite possible that you simply need reading glasses.

As others have said, the adjustable text size on the Kindle can be a aid. It isn't, though, a replacement for getting proper correction lenses.
sadly, I'm already in reading glasses...maybe I need Harry Potter magic glasses ;-)
Old 11-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #23
bert501
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkov View Post
Real, paperback editions, are with too small fonts and is made of very low quality paper (yellowish, with fibres and grains) ...
I grabbed the book I was trying to read and checked it out under a bright white light bulb with magnifying glass (not much of a nerd, eh?!) anyhoo, the paper looks very weird up close with lots of little "specks" in it. Never noticed that before and wouldn't have even thought of checking it out!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #24
bert501
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
There are two things to consider, as I mentioned in my previous comment. If your problem is really contrast of text on paper, and not size of the text, then an e-paper reader won't be a great buy. However, if you think a little font enlargement would make a paper-like screen more readable, then e-paper might do the trick.

I posted a little comparison of the new versus the older E-Ink generations compared to a hardcover and a paperback. The photos are very small close-ups but they give an idea of the relative contrast of the various reading surfaces. You can see those photos in this post.
Yep, that is what my paperback looks like up close. That Kindle font looks really nice-if that's what I can plan on seeing then my decision is made!! I can play with the contrast and fonts and get it perfect.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #25
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Why wouldn't you go to a store that has a working display to play around with the K3. Don't be shy read the different sample books, adjust the fonts and play with the lighting of the environment while using the K3 in a variety of different Brick and Morter stores. I would recommend a store that has a large variety of ebooker reader to choose from so you can do a side by side comparison.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:51 PM   #26
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Yep, that is what my paperback looks like up close. That Kindle font looks really nice-if that's what I can plan on seeing then my decision is made!! I can play with the contrast and fonts and get it perfect.
Unfortunately, the font I used in the Kindle pictures (Palatino Linotype) was embedded in a PDF, and is very different from the stock fonts (of which there are only two on the Kindle). I'm one of a small minority on this site that still strongly prefers PDFs to the native MOBI and EPUB files. When making a PDF, I have practically complete control over how the document looks, but the resulting layout is fixed, and is not really customizable.

There are indeed hacks and methods for getting different fonts on the Kindle, but the defaults are very limited. That said, Caecilia is not terrible, and with its big footprint and low contrast (stroke/serif tapers, not white/black contrast), is pretty easy to see and read.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #27
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
it's pretty easy to put your chosen font on the kindle. You can choose a bold, semi bold, or demi style font for your default font/ This makes everything darker, as I did (see attachment). the font I'm using is souvenir.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-58152.gif
Views:	667
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	61335  
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #28
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
it's pretty easy to put your chosen font on the kindle. You can choose a bold, semi bold, or demi style font for your default font/ This makes everything darker, as I did (see attachment). the font I'm using is souvenir.
How? Sounds interesting to blind folks.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #29
bert501
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckeedoug View Post
Why wouldn't you go to a store that has a working display to play around with the K3. Don't be shy read the different sample books, adjust the fonts and play with the lighting of the environment while using the K3 in a variety of different Brick and Morter stores. I would recommend a store that has a large variety of ebooker reader to choose from so you can do a side by side comparison.
That would be an ideal solution, oh how I wish it was possible! I'm out in the boonies so not much hands-on comparing going on. Thankfully I have all these excellent comments to read and use your all's experiences to help me make my decision.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #30
julian1982
julian1982 began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle 3 is a good reader, but dont compare ereaders to paper. i think that it will take some years that an ebook reader would be like paper.
the pearl eink was an improvement
julian1982 is offline   Reply With Quote