Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Help! My Sony PRS-505 won't stop scanning.

Help! I can't get my PRS-505 to turn on. I have about 150 books on it. After the start-up screen, it scans the books for about two minutes, then turns off. I can't get it on. It's done this about 10 times in a row now.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Plug it into the computer and remove all the books and see if that helps. Maybe one of the books is corrupted. If that works, you can try putting them back on a bunch at a time and if it happens again, you'll know what batch the book is in and can figure it out from there.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your quick response. I erased all the books on my reader. I put one book on, and it crashed. I erased that book and tried a different one, it crashed. I tried erasing all the books and then putting some books on my produo stick, it crashed again. My reader stays on if there are no books on it. As soon as I put a book on, it crashes.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try a reformat from the settings and see what happens.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try a reformat from the settings and see what happens.
How do I do that?

Do I hit format - fat?
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Deleted

Last edited by Latinandgreek; 10-18-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

I reformatted, and I even installed PRS+. Nope, no luck. It works when I have no books on the device, as soon as I put a book on the device it crashes.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Here is an update. My reader now only reads files with no images in them. Has this happened to anyone else? I find that it can now read epubs and rtfs, but not epubs with images. I haven't tried PDFs yet. Any suggestions from anyone? Where can I re-download Sony's firmware?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
Sapphire
Enthusiast
Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Sony 505 & 650
I would try the reset button on the back of the reader.

Firmware is available at http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sel...AVDISP=portaud.

The most direct firmware link is http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PRS505.
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Here is an update. My reader now only reads files with no images in them. Has this happened to anyone else? I find that it can now read epubs and rtfs, but not epubs with images. I haven't tried PDFs yet. Any suggestions from anyone?
Shot in the dark - try opening up a command prompt in Windows and doing a CHKDSK on the mounted drive. If you run linux, then open a bash shell and run fsck. Might help, but definitely can't hurt or make things worse.
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And if the suggestions given do not work, plug the 505 into the computer and delete all the content and see what happens. Might have a bad book that's causing a problem.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I had a case where a bad book caused a continuous download. I deleted the problem book and the problem has not recurred.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote