Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Thumbs up Sony Reader and ebook websites launched in Belgium in October

According to De Morgen and eReaders.nl, the websites boek.be and boekenbank.be will start selling e-books for the Belgian market in October.

At the same time, the Sony Reader will be launched in Belgium.

Great news if you ask me!

Last edited by AlfonsVH; 08-12-2009 at 06:09 AM.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Nice! Although I don't think I'll be able to wait until October...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:30 AM   #3
Mycropht
Optimist
Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Which models?

I hope Sony will not pull the old trick: "You will get the last year's models but they will have this year's price".

I have read some comments that the European e-book readers market potential is not as big compared to the US. Is that really so? Maybe if the offer would be the same and prices comparable then we could judge the size of the market.
Mycropht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:37 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycropht View Post
I hope Sony will not pull the old trick: "You will get the last year's models but they will have this year's price".

I have read some comments that the European e-book readers market potential is not as big compared to the US. Is that really so? Maybe if the offer would be the same and prices comparable then we could judge the size of the market.
Of course it's not as big... First, I'm not sure how many literate people Europe has and how many literate people the US, but at least in the US, it's primarily all in one language. In Europe, the amount of people available are also splintered over the various languages and countries, all with different rules and regulations...

And I doubt we'll get the last year's models, but the prices will be much higher (as they always are, I'd be very surprised if they weren't this time).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycropht View Post
I don't know if the potential is not as big, but I'm sure it will take much longer time. With the many different languages, it's (generally) smaller publishers and many more of them. All of them will have to to learn how to sell ebooks. Plus, right now the situation is that the devices are still expensive and in most languages there's not a lot of content, if any, yet, so very little incentive for buying an ebook reader, which might keep the price up for a good while yet.... I'm certain it will take years.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:08 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I believe it's being launched in Spain and Portugal, too, at pretty much the same time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:11 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Of course it's not as big... First, I'm not sure how many literate people Europe has and how many literate people the US, but at least in the US, it's primarily all in one language. In Europe, the amount of people available are also splintered over the various languages and countries, all with different rules and regulations...
Hey, we're just as literate as you are !

One of the problem with E-book in europe, weel; All the e-book i bought are in english. The offer in french is poor. So basicly,you'll have a real hard time finding the book you want unless you speak english.
Publishers are waiting for reders to take off, and readers won't take off until the publishers sells e-books. See the problem ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
One of the problem with E-book in europe, weel; All the e-book i bought are in english. The offer in french is poor. So basicly,you'll have a real hard time finding the book you want unless you speak english.
Publishers are waiting for reders to take off, and readers won't take off until the publishers sells e-books. See the problem ?
Exactly. But I believe that it will resolve itself in time. A few of the larger publishers in Denmark are working on ebooks, so they are aware of them, and at some point there will be enough books published that more people might be interested, and devices will get cheaper. But I expect it will take at least 5-10 years for this to happen in a small market like Denmark. It will probably be faster with the larger languages, like German, Spanish or French.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe it's being launched in Spain and Portugal, too, at pretty much the same time.
Harry, where did you get that info?
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdiogo View Post
Harry, where did you get that info?
I saw it mentioned a few months ago. I could, of course, be wrong!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:36 AM   #11
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I saw it mentioned a few months ago. I could, of course, be wrong!
You're not. (If you mean the PRS 505 and 700.)
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:53 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Hey, we're just as literate as you are !

I'm Dutch

But I said literate people, because only those will buy books (at least, that would make sense to me...)

And I know about the problem, which is why I'm glad the largest Dutch online book seller will be trying to put some movement in it, by trying to get publishers so far to publish their books in electronic form. I can't wait till the end of August!

Nobody mentioned this so far, but they mention they want to publish the books that are published in Flanders on the internet. I think this might mean it only applies to the Dutch books, not the French ones...
Old 08-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
PaweL_L
Greetings from Poland :-)
PaweL_L began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Sony Reader in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
At the same time, the Sony Reader will be launched in Belgium.

But the Sony Reader has been available in Belgium for some time.

Firstly, it was available in Waterstone bookshop.

Later, in Sony shop.
PaweL_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaweL_L View Post
But the Sony Reader has been available in Belgium for some time.

Firstly, it was available in Waterstone bookshop.

Later, in Sony shop.
Waterstones isn't Belgian and it's not available from sony.be. (while it is available from sony.de, for example) So far, the Sony has only been officially introduced in the UK, Germany and France.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
crazyheinz
crazyheinz began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I'm curious how much the sony 505 will cost here. Will buy one tomorrow for 190 euro, second hand. Greets from belgium
crazyheinz is offline   Reply With Quote