Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Title Page Confusion

I've just finished editing my eBook with Sigil, and then I discovered that it's on it's last legs and the author has advised that we move to Calibre. I understand that another author has picked it up, but that's not why I'm here. I was reading the Editor User Guide for Calibre and found this text:

Quote:
E-books typically have a cover image. This image is indicated in the Files Browser by the icon of a brown book next to the image name. If you want to designate some other image as the cover, you can do so by right clicking on the file and choosing Mark as cover.

In addition, EPUB files has the concept of a titlepage. A title page is a HTML file that acts as the title page/cover for the book. You can mark an HTML file as the titlepage when editing EPUBs by right-clicking. Be careful that the file you mark contains only the cover information. If it contains other content, such as the first chapter, then that content will be lost if the user ever converts the EPUB file in calibre to another format. This is because when converting, calibre assumes that the marked title page contains only the cover and no other content.
Where is the Title Page used as a Cover page? I cannot find any reference to this in the ePub guidelines and the comments here really are confusing me.

I have a cover image of course, and the information on my current "title page" is the copyright, author and publisher information.
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:05 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Hmm, that description seems a little strange to tell you the truth.

If you right-click on an HTML file, you will see an option to "Mark %s as cover page" -- this will mark a page as the embedded HTML cover. It usually contains nothing but an image file, which is marked as the cover image.

Both of these help ereaders display a cover. The cover image is used when extracting metadata, and the cover page is often given special powers by the ereader. For instance, it can be rendered in the Metadata ToC, and sometimes is the location that should be first opened to.

The semantic value "titlepage" is nothing special, any more than the "colophon" page. You can mark the first page, after the cover image, as the Title Page, if you like. Few if any ereaders will care.
It is the equivalent the page in a paper book that lists the title, author, and publisher. It usually comes right after the obligatory meaningless reviews, and the Also By This Author page.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:09 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
I've just finished editing my eBook with Sigil, and then I discovered that it's on it's last legs and the author has advised that we move to Calibre. I understand that another author has picked it up, but that's not why I'm here.
Not quite true actually. Development was just slowed. There are some additional programmers now and development is progressing. A plugin system has been delivered and more work is in the pipeline.

Continue with the Calibre editor if you want, I just wanted this to be clear. Some prefer Sigil, some prefer the Calibre editor. It makes no real difference in the end product.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Continue with the Calibre editor if you want, I just wanted this to be clear. Some prefer Sigil, some prefer the Calibre editor. It makes no real difference in the end product.
And some of us use both, e.g. I prefer Sigil's spell checker because its faster with large dictionaries, I also find its Reports feature useful.

And I have Sigil on a couple of systems where I don't have or need calibre.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
I hope it keeps going because I really found Sigil comfortable and simple to work with. I'll keep using it as long as it's stable and seems to be advancing along with the standards.
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Never really used reports, but I do find Sigil's semantics editor easier.

calibre does have a nicer Code View.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote