Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Two-column-text possible on M92 (NOT in PDF)

Hello all,

I am currently trying to make up my mind whether to add a 9.7" e-Ink reader to my current arsenal (Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod, Windows PC and in the neer foreseeable future Windows 8 tablet), and which one.

One important question for that is whether the device supports 2-column text in electronic book format (NOT in PDF, there it's of course possible, but the disadvantages of reading PDFs might be mitigating the advantages of having a large reader).

So a quick question ... is it possible to convert a book, say, an Amazon book, with Calibre to an ebook format and read it in 2-column format on the M92?

(What I am looking for is something like the Kindle Reading app on the iPad, but with e-Ink).

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I am not sure, if it is possible now. I read only PDF...

But, in a few months, might be android running on M92. So, probably also Kindle Reading app.

Someone might write, if 2-collumn in epub is possible now.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Hello all,

I am currently trying to make up my mind whether to add a 9.7" e-Ink reader to my current arsenal (Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod, Windows PC and in the neer foreseeable future Windows 8 tablet), and which one.

One important question for that is whether the device supports 2-column text in electronic book format (NOT in PDF, there it's of course possible, but the disadvantages of reading PDFs might be mitigating the advantages of having a large reader).

So a quick question ... is it possible to convert a book, say, an Amazon book, with Calibre to an ebook format and read it in 2-column format on the M92?

(What I am looking for is something like the Kindle Reading app on the iPad, but with e-Ink).

Best regards,
Andy
There is a "two column" mode for EPUBs on M92.

1) In new PDF Reader. Just switch to landscape mode and select thumbnail view.
2) In CoolReader in advanced settings you can select "two landscape pages"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot_1.png
Views:	296
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	99785   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot_2.png
Views:	310
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	99786  

Last edited by Booxtor; 01-20-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Thank you for the quick answer, that really sounds good!

Regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #5
Knorke
Enthusiast
Knorke is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
There is a "two column" mode for EPUBs on M92.

1) In new PDF Reader. Just switch to landscape mode and select thumbnail view.
No . In the new PDF Reader the layout option and thumbnail view does not exist in my opinion. To use the thumbnail view you have to use the old PDF reader. And in the thumbnail view you have no zooming options.

In the new PDF reader there is a hidden column view. It's occurence depends on the zoom level. In my case it switches below 160 % to 2 column mode, at 100 % (?) to 3 column mode.

It would be nice if you could choose the column mode explicit and undependently of the zoom level (--> wishlist).

Thanks
Knorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorke View Post
It would be nice if you could choose the column mode explicit and undependently of the zoom level (--> wishlist).
Yes... +1.... what he said!

CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJY View Post
Yes... +1.... what he said!

CJ
Is already in process..
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Is already in process..

Cheers!
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote