Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Cute sayings?

Who thinks up those cute sayings that pop up when you hover the pointer over the asterisks under a user's name? Are they generated by a robot? Or do the moderators of this board have incredible amounts of time on their hands?

I hope it's the latter. Or maybe both.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
they are plucked from the ether ....

[How they know about me, the angels and the head of a pin, I'll never know - I thought that one was a secret known only to those who were in the know].
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 05:04 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
They are a large conglomerate of contributions from quite a few people, but credit must be given to Nate (the Great) for not only being a major contributor but for being the one responsible, I believe, for initiating and organizing and implementing the massive expansion of them. Nate's humour has a tendency to take the most delightfully amusing quarter-turn to eleventy-past-odd, for which I am most grateful, especially in this particular example.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:36 AM   #4
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
They are a large conglomerate of contributions from quite a few people, but credit must be given to Nate (the Great) for not only being a major contributor but for being the one responsible, I believe, for initiating and organizing and implementing the massive expansion of them. Nate's humour has a tendency to take the most delightfully amusing quarter-turn to eleventy-past-odd, for which I am most grateful, especially in this particular example.

Cheers,
Marc

If, by example, you are referring to your current blue squaredness, then YES .... !
Old 09-02-2010, 05:38 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm currently on my iPad = I don't know what it says.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #6
GeoffC

you are 'considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world' ...

assuredly so !
Old 09-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I'm having trouble with this computer on MobileRead only, where nearly all of the images are not showing up. I do get the texts though. And for the little blurb under the names, I seem to get about 10 or 12 boxes of them.

That said, what I see is "GeoffC can grip it by the husk" and "montsnmags gives new meaning to the word 'superlative'". Does that mean that besides having a screen full of red x boxes and text, I'm not even getting the right comments? (Maybe I don't really have a set the Star Wars action figures? )
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
GeoffC

I wouldn't worry about it ... mine seems to change every time I look at it ....

If you say "I can grip it by the husk", that's a different saying to the one I noticed yesterday, and is different to the one I can currently see ..... (I'm at one with the great books in the World" [does that mean I'm old, musty, with a tinge of mildew and out of touch !!!!!!!!])
Old 09-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is like a game! Is it karma-driven? Now it is "GeoffC is not required to obey the law of gravity."

I'm more concerned about the fact the I don't have any pictures, although it is nice to see what everyone is without hovering. I miss having avatars and smilies and all of the other little icons. (I still don't know what is wrong. I saw two avatars yesterday! Maybe I need to delete my cookies or something.)
Old 09-04-2010, 02:27 AM   #10
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
This is like a game! Is it karma-driven? Now it is "GeoffC is not required to obey the law of gravity."

I'm more concerned about the fact the I don't have any pictures, although it is nice to see what everyone is without hovering. I miss having avatars and smilies and all of the other little icons. (I still don't know what is wrong. I saw two avatars yesterday! Maybe I need to delete my cookies or something.)
Check in your

User CP
>> Edit Options
>> Thread Display Options (part way down the list) ....
>> Check Show Signatures/Avatars/Images, according to your preference ...

See if that helps at all ....
Old 09-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #11
sakura-panda
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Check in your

User CP
>> Edit Options
>> Thread Display Options (part way down the list) ....
>> Check Show Signatures/Avatars/Images, according to your preference ...

See if that helps at all ....
If I uncheck those boxes, then the red x boxes for the avatars go away. All the other red x boxes are still there.

It's just odd because this is the only site that does it.

Last edited by sakura-panda; 09-08-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viseguy View Post
Who thinks up those cute sayings that pop up when you hover the pointer over the asterisks under a user's name? Are they generated by a robot? Or do the moderators of this board have incredible amounts of time on their hands?

I hope it's the latter. Or maybe both.
actually Teh Karma knows all, and tells all.

also, "they are plucked from the ether .... "

or something.

but really, rendering to Caesar, and all that, the original batch of sayings were invented by NatCh, who is sadly a bit less present around here lately. they were further supplemented some time later in a group effort which nate the great (among several others) did participate in. i may have had a hand in organising the sacrificial offerings to Teh Karma in hopes that our collective suggestions would be considered worthy. i am pretty sure it was the bottomless ZCD which did the trick.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 09-08-2010 at 06:31 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
If I uncheck those boxes, then the red x boxes for the avatars go away. All the other red x boxes are still there.

It's just odd because this is the only site that does it.
try refreshing the page / emptying your cache (ctrl + F5). that sometimes helps.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote