Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
slickhead
slickhead began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Can't reinstall ebook library.

I have WindowsXP Professional SP3.

I had the latest version of ebook library and it locked up and was blanked out and wouldn't respond. I restarted my computer several times and it would open, but would be partly blanked out and wouldn't respond. I uninstalled it. When I try to reinstall it with the same newest version, it says,

"A later version of eBook Library by Sony is already installed on this computer. The setup can not continue."

I have deleted the Sony Corporation and kinoma folders. There was no marlin folder. I have also searched the computer and got rid of everything with ebook library in it as well as anything in the registry that has to do with it.

Does anyone know where the eBook Library Installer.exe gets it version info from?

The Sony technical support guy said it was from the add or remove programs list in the control panel. He still said this 3 times after I continually told him that I uninstalled it and there was no entry for it there.

I just got a PRS-700 and now can't load anything on it. I previously had a PRS-505 and I was using it when the program crashed.

I guess I could use Calibre, but I liked the sony program.

I have searched and have not found the same problem mentioned anywhere.

Thanks

If I posted this in the wrong place, please let me know where it should go. I see its had over 50 views. Its my first post and I'm definitely not a forum guru or anything.

Guess I'll have to wait for the 3.1 version. Its due on Dec 11. Maybe it will work.

Last edited by slickhead; 12-08-2009 at 10:07 PM.
slickhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
bumping you to see we have anyone on who can help.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhead View Post
I have deleted the Sony Corporation and kinoma folders. There was no marlin folder. I have also searched the computer and got rid of everything with ebook library in it as well as anything in the registry that has to do with it.
You've probably already done this but, if not, try following these instructions from Sony Support. They have always worked for me to remove any remnants of the eBook Library.

Make sure you reveal any hidden folders as per instructions.

There is a registry key for the eBook Library, but all I can see it contains is the country and language. This should just be overridden on a new install.

I don't know what else to recommend if this doesn't work other than to wait for the new v3.1.

I hope you get your problem solved.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, slickhead. I seem to remember seeing something about XP prof and SP3 but can't find it exactly..

I don't have any experience nor have I had any problems so far as I am still using v2.5. Just in case you haven't seen the below threads.. here are the links....
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55041

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56428

I hope you get it solved. If you do, please post back here so we can learn also. Thank you.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
slickhead

Thanks

I have done searches including hidden and system folders and files for and Sony ebook library and reader and deleted all that had anything to do with it. Also did search and removed in registry. I even used installshield program to break the setup program into it separate parts and examined what it may be looking for. I think it is looking for a product number which identifies what version, but I can't find it and Sony won't tell me what it is. It is probably a alpha-numeric string of numbers that is not identified by the tags of Sony or ebook library or reader. My fear is that it got corrupted when the program crashed and was not removed when I uninstalled. Now the install program looks for it and sees a higher version number due to the corruption. I hope it doesn't read higher than 3.1!

As you can probably tell, I'm not exactly a novice when it comes to this stuff, but this has thrown me for a loop. This almost ticks me off as much as Microsoft not allowing a direct upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows XP!

Last edited by slickhead; 12-09-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: grammar corrections
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Wait until Friday and then ry installing eBook Library 3.1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
slickhead

3.1 does the same thing? How is that possible?

Called Sony telephone support. After 1.25 hours waiting, someone finally came on the phone. I told him the problem and he did a remote login.

He re-downloaded the file and renamed it ebl.exe. The ran it from a command prompt with an /a switch and it installed. Had to make a shortcut myself since it did make a program entry. It all took about 15 minutes (after the long wait time).

The tech support actually impressed me. Of course I work for AT&T as a service technician so I am used to dealing with customers that have to deal with the world's most horrible tech support about ADSL!

Thanks for the comments. Maybe this will help someone with a similar problem in the future.

Last edited by slickhead; 12-13-2009 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Problem solved!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
rollingstone
rollingstone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
I had a similar problem and solved it using information from two Sony supplied linnks and a procedure I found in a forum. Here is the info:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1001458

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1003504

Procedure suggested on internet by party with similar problem:

1. Uninstall Reader Library
2. Go to the installation directory (C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader, typically), and rename the Reader folder to ReaderBackup.
3. Use msconfig to disable all startup programs.
4. Reboot
5. Turn off antivirus protection
6. Install Reader Library 3.1
7. Use msconfig to reenable the startup programs previously disabled.
8. Reboot
9. Verify that antivius protection is enabled, and enable it if it is off.

At this point I could access the Sony Reader Store.

I believe that the problem was related to something left over from the Reader 3.0 or from the nonworking installation of Reader 3.1. Changing the name of the Reader folder assured that all new programs were stored in the folder, and no older programs were kept around.

I am not sure that I had to disable the startup programs or the antivirus. Disabling them guaranteed that the Reader Library installation was able to update everything in the registry that it needed to update.

You may want to add this information to your data base. I imagine that you are receiving
incident reports from many parties, and this may be helpful.

Rolling Stone
rollingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
slickhead

Thanks but I tried those and they didn't work.

Final solution:

Bought new computer, installed software.

Reformatted and reinstalled windows on old computer, installed software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingstone View Post
I had a similar problem and solved it using information from two Sony supplied linnks and a procedure I found in a forum. Here is the info:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1001458

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1003504

Procedure suggested on internet by party with similar problem:

1. Uninstall Reader Library
2. Go to the installation directory (C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader, typically), and rename the Reader folder to ReaderBackup.
3. Use msconfig to disable all startup programs.
4. Reboot
5. Turn off antivirus protection
6. Install Reader Library 3.1
7. Use msconfig to reenable the startup programs previously disabled.
8. Reboot
9. Verify that antivius protection is enabled, and enable it if it is off.

At this point I could access the Sony Reader Store.

I believe that the problem was related to something left over from the Reader 3.0 or from the nonworking installation of Reader 3.1. Changing the name of the Reader folder assured that all new programs were stored in the folder, and no older programs were kept around.

I am not sure that I had to disable the startup programs or the antivirus. Disabling them guaranteed that the Reader Library installation was able to update everything in the registry that it needed to update.

You may want to add this information to your data base. I imagine that you are receiving
incident reports from many parties, and this may be helpful.

Rolling Stone