Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Different approaches to Electronic Text Design (iPod vs. Sony/Kindle)

Hugh McGuire, founder of LibriVox (a volunteer project to create public domain audiobooks) has a blog entry today at The Book Oven Blog discussing the different approaches to creating eText for the iPod Touch and the more "traditional" electonic book devices like the Kindle and the Sony Reader.

Quote:
eBooks, and digital devices are a different medium, they call for a whole new design approach. The constraints are different, the reader’s needs different, and so how you’ll design a text is going to be different. I was shocked that with the iPod, the small screen actually seems to me an *advantage* over the paper book in some ways. And so where Kindle & Sony Reader have tried to reinvent the book in electronic form, using the same kinds of design principles, the ereaders on the iPhone/iPod have instead tried to build a new kind of design/interaction standard into existing constraints of devices people already have. I find the second approach more compelling because it’s adding real value where before there was none.
It's an interesting discussion, and in some ways goes back to the argument advanced by Doctorow and others that ebooks will never catch on unless they are an application to a multipurpose device. And that this requires a new approach to text design, rather than just mimicking a paper book.

Read more here.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
"...the small screen actually seems to me an *advantage* over the paper book in some ways."

I disagree, unless you talk about color versus black-and-white. I've used Stanza on my iPhone but only when I'm forced. I much prefer my Sony 505 or paper. I see no value in having to touch the screen more often for text. You could argue that the iPhone allows non-linear hypertext linking more easily. I'd respond the new touchscreen Sony should do the same tricks.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
the small screen actually seems to me an *advantage* over the paper book in some ways
Disagree. Even 6" is not enough for me. I wish Sony made 8".
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I cant Wait for folding and rolling displays.

I personally think a 6 Inch Iphone like device would be the perfect Ereader. Screen Technoligy is jumping Leaps and bounds, and Eink is pushing Technologies away from backlight LCDs. The future will be cool.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I think we need to keep in mind that the smaller device is only an advantage in "some ways". In that, I can totally agree. The iPod Touch easily slips into the pocket of a shirt or a pair of jeans, and I imagine, one can easily get a belt carrying case for it as well. It is therefore very easy to make sure you always have it with you and therefore available for reading. In contrast, it less convenient to carry around the dedicated readers.

Now, that being said, I agree totally that once you are reading, the larger screen sizes are a real advantage. I never think, while I am reading, that I wish I had my iPod instead. The only times such thoughts are a serious issue is when I have to retrieve my Jetbook (which is smaller than the 6" readers) from my coat since it is too large to fit in my shirt pocket.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert