Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
RadarReader
RadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Backlit e-reader that can run Moon+ Pro?

I'm interested in getting a Paperwhite, but one thing that is a dealbreaker that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to - can I run Moon+ Reader Pro on the Paperwhite (whether jailbroken or not)? It seems to be that I won't be able to, since my understanding is the Paperwhite runs some stripped down version of Android that probably can't run apps, but I want to confirm if the Paperwhite is not an option for me.

If not, is there an e-reader out there that has the backlight (or is it frontlit?) that would allow me to read in direct sunlight AND use Moon+ Reader Pro?

Last edited by RadarReader; 07-14-2013 at 10:30 PM.
RadarReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Paperwhite & Kobo Glo don't run Android. The Nook Glow does, but the version of Android is so old that you'd have to track down an old version of the app to get it to run after rooting the device maybe check XDA to find an older APK and make sure it actually runs OK. Onyx was working on having their devices run Android (like an eInk tablet almost), but I don't know if anything ever came of that.

And yes, it's a front light not a back light.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
RadarReader
RadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipseRadarReader can illuminate an eclipse

Thanks for the info AnemicOak. That is what I figured. That Kobo Glo looks interesting. How is the reader software for that? While the options in Moon+ Reader are great, my main concern is I'd like to be able to easily read (non-DRM'd) EPUB and MOBI files, and easily sync them to the device (like with Calibre).
Old 07-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
tedpeer
Enthusiast
tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook, iOs
Yes. I think. I'm running Moon+ Reader Pro 1.6.5b on a Nook Simple Touch. I'm assuming that a Glowlight version of the Simple Touch will run it.

Ted
tedpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarReader View Post
Thanks for the info AnemicOak. That is what I figured. That Kobo Glo looks interesting. How is the reader software for that? While the options in Moon+ Reader are great, my main concern is I'd like to be able to easily read (non-DRM'd) EPUB and MOBI files, and easily sync them to the device (like with Calibre).
The Kobo eReaders handle ePubs fairly well. There are some foibles, but none are particularly bad. It will also handle MOBI, but not as well. I always convert them to ePub before reading.

The integration with calibre is very good. But, I am a little biased about that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
RadarReader

Anyone know what type of shipping times I'd be looking at from the Kobo website shipping to the U.S.? They currently have the Aura HD in stock and I was looking into getting one, but one of the main reasons I want it is for a beach vacation I'm leaving for in 9 days. When I start the checkout process all it says is free 10-14 day ground shipping, with no other options.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anyone know what type of shipping times I'd be looking at from the Kobo website shipping to the U.S.? They currently have the Aura HD in stock and I was looking into getting one, but one of the main reasons I want it is for a beach vacation I'm leaving for in 9 days. When I start the checkout process all it says is free 10-14 day ground shipping, with no other options.
You could get lucky, but I wouldn't count on getting it in time. Some have gotten theirs pretty fast while others quite slowly going by the shipping threads in the Kobo forum. Of course it's possible they've improved, but Kobo doesn't seem cut out to do direct sales of hardware as well as some other retailers.

Some independent book stores are carrying them in the US. You might have better luck getting on that way. Even if there isn't one near you you might have better luck on getting one shipped quicker.

Here's one store selling them (I'd call to make sure you'd get it in time)...
http://www.greenlightbookstore.com/product/kobo-aura-hd

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-15-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
RadarReader

I also just found this thread -

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212549

Nothing very recent, but in the April/May timeframe it seems most waited at least 2 weeks before receiving their Aura HD. Perhaps now they are more on top of the orders but I wouldn't count on it.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
I also just found this thread -

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212549

Nothing very recent, but in the April/May timeframe it seems most waited at least 2 weeks before receiving their Aura HD. Perhaps now they are more on top of the orders but I wouldn't count on it.
They use a third party (Imgram Micro) and I think that adds some delay to the shipping process. At least that's where mine was shipped from when I pre-ordered.

Some other Indie's that seem to have the Aura...
http://www.steamboatbooks.com/classi...ura-hd-ereader
http://www.cavalierhousebooks.com/product/kobo-aura
http://www.thirdplacebooks.com/ereaders
Old 07-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
RadarReader

Thanks Brian. That first place in Brooklyn is only about 4 hours from me. I called them and they said they could ship one out tomorrow afternoon and I should have it within a week. They only have the onyx color though. Is that the silver looking one or is it black? I've always known onyx to be black, but on the Kobo site it appears to be silver looking.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Onxy = Black
Espresso = Brown
Ivory = White

Not sure why the little color circle on the Kobo site is a silver/gray color.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
RadarReader

Thanks, that's good to know. Wasn't crazy about silver.

Now just need to decide if the Aura HD is worth the extra $40 over the Glo.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Now just need to decide if the Aura HD is worth the extra $40 over the Glo.
Overall YES. Nicer screen quality, bigger screen, nicer lighting (more even, no dark cones at bottom). Only downside is that it is a little heavier and doesn't have the quilted back of the other Kobo's.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote