Old 05-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
MartinZ
Zealot
MartinZ doesn't litterMartinZ doesn't litter

Device: PB903, PB603
PBChord - Your Guitar Companion - beta

Hi Folks,

it's christmas again...

I implemented a Guitar Lyrics-with-Chords program based on the legendary program "chord" and a successor named Chord4.

It is a kind of songbook, that takes songs as simple textfiles containing lyrics and chords mixed up like:

{title: Funny Song}
{subtitle: The Threetels}
This [Am] is a [C] funny [F#] song.

You can load either a song (".crd") or a file list (.txt).

For several songs in a list (file containing full pathes/names) my program has got a Table of contents, where you can hyperlink (with stylus or keys) to the songs.

Simply make a folder "PBChord" on your PocketBook
(e.g. under /mnt/ext1/PBChord) and put appended files inside.

Program is just a beta so far, some bugs (and some "conceptional" problems) are known.
Quick Zoom +/- and Settings do not work by now.

But I want to show you the actual level.

Be free to try and feedback.

P.S:

you can use some commands to format text:

{textsize:24} or {ts:24}
{chordsize:22} or {cf:22}
{monosize:20} or {ms:20}

{textfont: DroidSans} or {tf: DejaVuSans}
same for monofont and chordfont.

{title:A Title}
{subtitle: A Subtitle}

{grid}
{no_grid}
{no_toc}
{no_subtoc}
{new_page}
{new_song} (for more than one song in one ".crd" file)
{start_of_tab}
{end_of_tab}
{start_of_chorus}
{end_of_chorus}
{comment}
{comment_italic}
{comment_box}
{signature:/mnt/ext1/PBChord/xyz.bmp} (a little signature bitmap)
{signature:Jack London} (a text/name as a signature)
{define: D4 base-fret 1 frets - - 0 0 3 -} (defines a chord additional to the built-ins)

Martin
Attached Files
File Type: zip PBChord.zip (149.2 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by MartinZ; 05-08-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Additional Info
MartinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
MartinZ
Zealot

PBChord -Your Guitar Companion - beta

Here a screenshot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	360
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	86216  
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
This looks awesome! Too bad I have no musical ability, and thus, no guitar.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
MartinZ
Zealot

PBChord

Quote:
This looks awesome! Too bad I have no musical ability, and thus, no guitar.
You could learn it (using PBChord) ) and if you need one - I have a nice but cheap guitar for sale....
Old 05-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinZ View Post
You could learn it (using PBChord) ) and if you need one - I have a nice but cheap guitar for sale....
Ha! Sounds tempting, but I have no rhythm. Playing instruments, dancing, skipping rope, even long flights of stairs, are a challenge past the first 10 seconds or so. I've tried playing guitar in the past, and it's a waste of time. If you want to see something hilarious, you should see me on a set of drums.
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
yuryfdr
Connoisseur
yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.

Device: pocketbook 301, pocketbook 603
Great idea. PocketBook may produce new accessories - music stand and reader guitar holder. :-)

but I have a problem with 603 and 2.0.4 fw. chords with frets is drawn good but no text rendered.
yuryfdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
MartinZ
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuryfdr View Post
Great idea. PocketBook may produce new accessories - music stand and reader guitar holder. :-)

but I have a problem with 603 and 2.0.4 fw. chords with frets is drawn good but no text rendered.
I'll have a look.
Perhaps try another font with (textfont : DejaVuSans) or so?
Emulator has got different fonts than device and perhaps your 603 with 2.0.4 has different fonts than my 903 2.0.6 ?
It is really quite amazing how different programs act on emulator and on real device.
For example "FullUpdateHQ()" crashs on device but not on emulator.
PBChord works well on emulator but sometimes does funny things on device.

Do you have some hints about what to avoid or to do about this?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
I'll have a look.
Perhaps try another font with (textfont : DejaVuSans) or so?
Emulator has got different fonts than device and perhaps your 603 with 2.0.4 has different fonts than my 903 2.0.6 ?
It is really quite amazing how different programs act on emulator and on real device.
For example "FullUpdateHQ()" crashs on device but not on emulator.
PBChord works well on emulator but sometimes does funny things on device.

Do you have some hints about what to avoid or to do about this?
In the inkview documentation thread, there's a link to a recent document from PB on the API. I'm pretty sure they marked FullUpdateHQ() as deprecated. Anyway, check it out (called PocketBookSDK.pdf) for more info.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
MartinZ
Zealot

ScreenUpdate-functions

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they marked FullUpdateHQ() as deprecated.
You are right. This document says, only PartialUpdate, SoftUpdate and FullUpdate are not deprecated. I forgot about that document.

But I mainly took this as a sample, how different emulator and real device react sometimes.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
But I mainly took this as a sample, how different emulator and real device react sometimes.
I'm not surprized that they are so different. Based on the emulated buttons, I always had the impression that the emulator was written quite a while ago, and wasn't really kept up to date. I think the fact that it works at all should be considered a blessing rather than a right. Personally, I never use it, and do all my testing right on the device. With WiFi and the sshd daemon installed and running, copying over a new file is as easy as repeating an old shell command.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
MartinZ
Zealot

PBChord beta2 is released

Hi folks,

as my work proceeds i want to let you share it.

Changelog:

- Settings menu
- QuickZoom (all fonts +3 / -3)
- File "chordrc" for predefining chords or some other settings
- Long pressing OK opens log (or closes it)
- better handling of signature image
- recognize "gesture" (stylus slide to top or bottom of page turns page)
- lots of bugs removed (and new ones added?)

still not everything works, of course. It stays a beta.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PBChord_beta2.zip (163.5 KB, 311 views)
Old 06-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #12
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
thanks Martin, now I want to learn to play the guitar
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Very Nice! A suggestion: is this could be implemented for bass guitar? I am a bass player. I will give it a try when my PB902 returns from warranty ;-)

thank you
Quote:
Hi folks,

as my work proceeds i want to let you share it.

Changelog:

- Settings menu
- QuickZoom (all fonts +3 / -3)
- File "chordrc" for predefining chords or some other settings
- Long pressing OK opens log (or closes it)
- better handling of signature image
- recognize "gesture" (stylus slide to top or bottom of page turns page)
- lots of bugs removed (and new ones added?)

still not everything works, of course. It stays a beta.
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
MartinZ
Zealot

PBChord

Hi skydive,

PBChord is more or less a song book (that makes sense for an ebook reader device ).

is (as it name says ) mainly chord based. As far as I know, a bass guitar is played more or less note by note. So you would need tablatures and not chords for bass, right?

Until now PBChord can print out chords and lyrics and -as PBChord treats the chords as separate objects- can collect all used chords of a song and show assigned fingering diagrams or transpose to a different key.

The tablatures however are not treated as musical objects but printed out exactly as they are defined in the source text.

What would a bass player need exactly?
Old 06-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
I will installed and see how it goes, then I will tell you about bass guitar.. thanks!
Quote:
Hi skydive,

PBChord is more or less a song book (that makes sense for an ebook reader device ).

is (as it name says ) mainly chord based. As far as I know, a bass guitar is played more or less note by note. So you would need tablatures and not chords for bass, right?

Until now PBChord can print out chords and lyrics and -as PBChord treats the chords as separate objects- can collect all used chords of a song and show assigned fingering diagrams or transpose to a different key.

The tablatures however are not treated as musical objects but printed out exactly as they are defined in the source text.

What would a bass player need exactly?
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote