Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
JonnyG
JonnyG began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Is CM7 really stable on NC?

I want to believe! Took the plunge this week-end and not good so far.

Followed directions to put CM7 on SD card (anamardoll on Youtube and referenced from this forum). Granted I am using an A-Data 16gb micro SD card so according to what I read that could be the issue (cannot find a positive or negative on this card).

When I tried the first time I got a bunch of Force Closures making things basically unusable.

Tried a second time after completely reformatting the micro SD card using someone's directions on the Panasonic reformatting program. This time I thought I was heading in the right direction because I didn't get FC's all over the place. But then tried to get Pandora downloaded which seemed to download but then started getting the FCs when I went to launch Pandora.

So question is do I go by the Sandisc card people seem to be recommending and try this again OR is CM7 really not stable.

Also why is the last stable CM7 version posted over a month old?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments
JonnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyG View Post
So question is do I go by the Sandisc card people seem to be recommending and try this again OR is CM7 really not stable.
CyanogenMod7 is actually very stable in the 7.0.3 release that I am using. I had it on an SD card for a while, but I got to liking it so well that I erased the Nook internal memory and put CyanogenMod7 there.

Quote:
Also why is the last stable CM7 version posted over a month old?
How often do you think that it should be between new releases?
But to respond to your question, I saw on the CyanogenMod nightlies discussion forum that a new kernel had been adopted, and that seems to have made some new bugs crawl out.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
The card can be like night and day. I have 8gb Adata class 6 and get FC's on certain programs mainly pulse. I use it to test out the nightlies but for general every day use am using a 4gb Sandisk class 2 and it works great.

Stick to CM 7.0.3 with 040411 overclock and things should be fine especially with a Sandisk card.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
CM7 is VERY stable, especially when run from the internal memory. The newer versions of CM7 with the new kernel also have much better standby battery power, too.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
JonnyG

Thanks folks.....I'll try the Sandisk card and see how that goes

When you say "Stick to CM 7.0.3 with 040411 overclock" excuse my ignorance but how do you get the 040411 overclock? I am just a newbie schmuck who can follow the directions about creating the SD card image and then moving the zipped CM7.0.3 file onto the card. So keep that in mind with your response.

Dave you are right a monthly release (stable version) would actually be a lot. With all the nightly releases and forum chats I guess I was getting spoiled into thinking stable releases keep popping out given all the advancements being done.

I can't wait to get my Sandisk card and give this another shot

Thanks for the tips!

-Jon
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:

When you say "Stick to CM 7.0.3 with 040411 overclock" excuse my ignorance but how do you get the 040411 overclock? I am just a newbie schmuck who can follow the directions about creating the SD card image and then moving the zipped CM7.0.3 file onto the card. So keep that in mind with your response.

Dave you are right a monthly release (stable version) would actually be a lot. With all the nightly releases and forum chats I guess I was getting spoiled into thinking stable releases keep popping out given all the advancements being done.

Thanks for the tips!

-Jon
The overclock is a separate kernel that overclocks the nook color. Personally I would install a nightly with no overclock because as jasoraso correctly points out the nightlys after 76 or so (I am running 82) are much more efficient with battery life. 7.0.3 eats that battery
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
JonnyG

What's the opinions out there, should I go with a nightly (if so which one)? or should I go the stable 7.0.3?

Are the nightly's numbered "after" the stable? Meaning is nightly number "82" the 82nd update after 7.0.3?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
irisclara
irisclara is on a distinguished road

Device: eee 900ha, CM7 Nook Color
My .02 cents is that you should go with the newest nightly. Get it here.
CM7 updates
It's not 100% stable but it does fix the deep sleep issue and improve battery life. I like 7.0.3 but the better battery is crucial for me.

As for the numbering, look on the page I linked. I think 7.0.3 (the most recent stable build) was around 65 or so. It came out on May 8.
irisclara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What's the opinions out there, should I go with a nightly (if so which one)? or should I go the stable 7.0.3?

Are the nightly's numbered "after" the stable? Meaning is nightly number "82" the 82nd update after 7.0.3?
I recommend you do what I do keep a working CM 703 on an SD card and use another SD card to put the nightlies on and try them out. If you use the same size card then you can make an image of your main working card load it on your test card and then update it to the nightly and retain all your apps etc.

There is a reason why it is still a nightly and not a stable. (it doesn't work correctly for the majority of people, is it close maybe!) Maybe those contemplating using Nightlies should follow this thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...60542&page=358

Personally I can live with the battery problem more than I can live with the having to reboot when wifi doesn't connect. The battery is not a problem if you charge it overnight anyway, I get at least 6 hours a day use of mine between reading and browsing. Some people don't seem to have the wifi problem and you may be lucky. I also found that my browser seems faster opening pages with the stable version than the nightly, again it could be just my problem. It seems every SD card can be different.

Obviously the way to go would be put cm7 on the NC and forget about running from SD but I am not ready to do that, changes are happening so fast with this android stuff that I like the flexibility of the SD cards and moving between different versions. You could also try out Phiremod / Honeycomb to see if you like those systems on a card. Link below to a dual boot for that.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1045018

Last edited by goldberry; 06-14-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
goldberry
Groupie

Quote:

Thanks for the tips!

-Jon
Overclock kernel download site

http://coachz.inetpro.org/~dalingrin/nook/kernels/
Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
If you decide to try an overclock kernel, you download the .zip and put it in the top (root) directory of the sd card; then boot into Clockwork Recovery and select the install zip option. Then, while still in the Recovery, go to advanced/clear dalvik cache; then reboot.

After the NC boots up, go into Settings/CyanogenMod Settings/Performance and you can adjust the top clock speed. Most NC's will easily run up to 1200mhz (instead of the default of 800). The clock speed is variable - the NC adjusts on the fly according to the demand, but allowing it to run up to 1200 mhz makes CM7 soooo smooth ... like butter!

One last note: if you are not having a good experience on cm7, then something isn't working right - probably your SD card. With any of the stable versions, or even the "nightlies" - cm7 runs VERY well on the NC. Yes, there might be a few issues on the nightlies - like wifi being tempermental (I don't experience this, though), or some small issues like the o/c clock not adjust quite properly in certain circumstances and with certain beta kernels (these are 2 of the recent issues reported on the nightlies), but overall, cm7 should be a GREAT experience on your NC. If you don't find that to be the case, then something isn't right with your installation - either your SD card or something like that.

Last edited by jasoraso; 06-14-2011 at 12:10 PM.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
JonnyG

GB now I know what you mean. Put CM7 nightly on a new Sandisk card and the experience was much better than my Adata card. However, when I picked up the NC this morning the wireless was off which didn't bother me much as I just reset. However now the wifi can't hold. I reboot, I power off, I try to turn wifi off / on. Nothing. So I guess I just figured out the second major issue with CM7 (after the first being having to have the right SD card).

So my question is I guess I need to go to the stable version. Can I just copy the stable zip file over to my SD card on my PC and get rid of the nightly zip file? Or is it more complicated?

It sounds like once I go to the stable version, the wifi issues should go away but all of a sudden my battery is going to drain faster. Is that about right?

What's the next place I am going to trip over after that?

Don't mind a little effort but this is getting boarder-line.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
It sounds like once I go to the stable version, the wifi issues should go away but all of a sudden my battery is going to drain faster. Is that about right?
WiFi and Bluetooth both work fine in the stable versions, and I have not seen any WiFi problems with the few nightlies I have tried. The power drain with the older kernel is not really bad in use, but since it does not ever fully sleep the battery would drop about 15% overnight in my experience.

Quote:
Don't mind a little effort but this is getting boarder-line.
Nobody can really hold your hand with the nightly releases, so you should probably stick with the stable releases. I followed my own advice in that respect up until nightly #102, and just had to try it out. Now my overnight battery drop is about 1% or less.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #14
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
So I guess I just figured out the second major issue with CM7 (after the first being having to have the right SD card).
Your Wi-Fi issues aren't universal, but others have had them. You might want to look over the last couple pages of verygreen's size-agnostic SD thread on XDA for people having similar problems. You might also try a different nightly rather than jumping back to the last stable, which is rather old at this point. All you have to do is drop the new .zip on your SD card from the PC (won't work over USB) and boot into recovery (simplest way is to boot into CM7, hold the power button a second, then choose Reboot>Recovery from the power menu). Verygreen's installer will do the rest.

Also, in CM7 as in pretty much any OS on any device, a lot of problems will resolve themselves after hard reset: hold power until the device shuts off, release, then hold power until it boots back up.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
WiFi and Bluetooth both work fine in the stable versions, and I have not seen any WiFi problems with the few nightlies I have tried. The power drain with the older kernel is not really bad in use, but since it does not ever fully sleep the battery would drop about 15% overnight in my experience.
If by 'Bluetooth works fine' you mean 'works about six inches distance', then I'll agree with that statement. I had to buy a Bluetooth transmitter to use my headset with the NC - can't watch video while holding the screen up by my ear.

It probably works OK for keyboards and such, not for listening devices.

I'm running CM7.0.3 stable.

OP, I had the same problem with force closes and Pandora until I switched to a Sandisk Class 2 card. Now it runs beautifully. I don't overclock, and I'm itching for the next stable release, too. I lose about 10% battery overnight, and if I leave it alone for a couple-three days, I lose pretty much all the power.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote