Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Pbook "library" pics

Whenever I go to someone's house I always look at their library - do they have one, what type of books do they read, do we share any interests or authors. Have they read something I'm aiming to read. Sometimes it's interesting just to see which books were bought but never opened. Sometimes even the way the books have been arranged gives a interesting perspective: randomly, by date purchased, by category, by author or sometimes arranged like Russian dolls by size. Mostly I think I just like to see that people value the concept of books.

One of the major flaws in ereaders is that I can't do this and I now have no idea what makes other people tick. I wondered if anyone would like to take a picture of their own pbook library and perhaps offer a little description? I'll start with a small picture of a few bookshelves and I'll admit to only putting the more interesting novels in them while the more trashy lit gets hidden in more out of the way bookshelves about the house and then all the IT books, hard science and chess books etc go up into the loft:
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Ring-a-round the room

Last edited by theducks; 07-26-2015 at 12:39 PM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I actually got rid of all my books shortly after I got my Kindle. It was right around the time I tried to read a pbook for the first time since I got my Kindle and decided I preferred ebooks. I found new homes for some of them and donated the rest to my local library.

I do miss having bookshelves filled with books, but it's also been really nice to have that extra space in my office. Someday I'd love to have some sort of screen mounted on my wall that displays all the covers of my ebooks It'll have some sort of touch screen and let me flip through them, and with a click I'd like to be able to "send to device" wirelessly.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I actually got rid of all my books shortly after I got my Kindle. It was right around the time I tried to read a pbook for the first time since I got my Kindle and decided I preferred ebooks. I found new homes for some of them and donated the rest to my local library.

I do miss having bookshelves filled with books, but it's also been really nice to have that extra space in my office. Someday I'd love to have some sort of screen mounted on my wall that displays all the covers of my ebooks It'll have some sort of touch screen and let me flip through them, and with a click I'd like to be able to "send to device" wirelessly.
What a great idea! If the screen could look like a bookcase, all the better.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Sadly I have no pbook.lib pictures to post. Happily, that is because I've just converted over (nearly entirely) to ebooks! (Current ebook.lib count running at 8,793 ebooks - and rising! )

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I have three six foot shelves in my bedroom where I keep songbooks and unread p-books. All the rest of my books (other than the ones I've already scanned) are in 22 large heavy duty office document storage boxes awaiting their fate with a guillotine and a scanner.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:29 AM   #7
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Someday I'd love to have some sort of screen mounted on my wall that displays all the covers of my ebooks It'll have some sort of touch screen and let me flip through them, and with a click I'd like to be able to "send to device" wirelessly.
Perhaps when e-ink becomes as cheap as paper we can have (colour) e-wallpaper and then a little application could show your whole library, just the parts you want to show or perhaps someone else's library. Perhaps if that worked then we could just read the books directly off the wall paper.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Great idea. I'll play too.

I don't have all of my books on display anymore, about three banker's boxes worth have ended up in storage, here's my office/library.

This is where the magic happens.

The bookcase closest to the computer contains all my nonfiction and research books. Topics range from pirates to secret histories and wars to indians and just about everything in between.

The shelf above my couch used to span the length of the room until my hardcovers got too heavy and part ripped out of the walls. So, now it holds some small statues and misc. hardcovers that I think have some sort of value, personal or otherwise. Up there is my 1920's copies of great expectations and dracula. The bookcase on the far wall was supposed to span the wall, but the missus put the kibosh on that one. So that's why I had to put three boxes away. Most of my favorite hardcovers and paperbacks growing up are displayed there with various other pop culture blasts from the past.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0969.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	775.5 KB
ID:	56678   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0970.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	56679   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0971.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	56680   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0972.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	56681   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0973.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	56682   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0975.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	987.1 KB
ID:	56683   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0977.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	56684   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0978.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	56685  

Last edited by jaxx6166; 08-14-2010 at 10:30 PM.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I have no pics of books on shelves, because there ARE no bookshelves in our new apartment. Well, there's one, but it holds all my plates and bowls like a china hutch. I have two paper boxes of books I wanted to keep in storage. The rest I got rid of before the move. We move way too often for me to have much of a collection. Hubby kind of puts his foot down on moving heavy book boxes all the time.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Someday I'd love to have some sort of screen mounted on my wall that displays all the covers of my ebooks It'll have some sort of touch screen and let me flip through them, and with a click I'd like to be able to "send to device" wirelessly.
I recently blogged about this very idea. Ultimately I want a holographic display of all my book covers, no screen needed.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I posted a tour of my various book homes on Teleread awhile back.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I recently blogged about this very idea. Ultimately I want a holographic display of all my book covers, no screen needed.
Great minds think alike?

Read the post – I do a similar thing where I just like to flip through my covers every once in a while (thank you, Calibre!). Even though I prefer ebooks, and do still read the occasional pbook, I have come to the realization that my house will never the Giant Library that I've always dreamed. My house now has a modest-sized library, and I added a couple bookcases to it for more shelving. When I got my first ereader I even sold my bookshelves!

I'm one of those people who love to go to friend's houses and peruse their book collections, so I'm battling with the technology I love to use and the way it's taken away something I love. My Kindle and I have a bit of a love-hate relationship going on.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't have any current pics, but here's my library/office when I was still moving in to my house a few years ago.

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Gosh all your bookshelves look so neat. If I was able to organize like that, I might never have purchased a Kindle!
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I just got some beautiful white bookshelves to turn one of my rooms into a library, and I found out I don't have enough books! Actually I probably do, but they are sequestered in various locations throughout the house and my parents (moved here a year ago). But I've been pretty much ignoring that and have been purchasing books at book sales. I'll come back with a pic.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote