Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
chazcop
chazcop began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (Wifi only)
Anyone Using An eReader on Gym Equipment?

I just got the Nook yesterday. I hoped it would make reading on my recumbent bike excerciser easier (having to turn/tuck pages of a book was the problem--I have several book holders but you still have to tuck the page (so it's like I'm still sort of using an old fashioned rubberband to hold the page!).

Alas: To use it whilest biking I have to use large (instead of medium) font which means there's just 2 paragraphs per page: Entirely too many page turns required! I guess Nook-page turning relieves the tedium of monotonous biking but....it's all I'm doing. Also to get a pulse read out I'd have to use the chest monitor since I'm taking my hand off the grip too much.

I'm interested in what ayone else has found (there's very little to be found about this on Google!).

Otherwise the Nook seems to have been the right choice. Already downloaded 4 books from the NY Public library (Heck they have 600 listings just under 'biography"!).

I've spent a lot of time on forums getting up to speed (before buying & over the last 24 hours).
chazcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I have used my reader on the treadmill. Yes, you will have to keep turning pages, but it's better than doing it with a book.

Do you need constant heartrate monitoring? I start slow on the treadmill to warm up, then get up to my target, then monitor every so often just to be sure I am holding fairly steady. Then the cooldown. Usually you can tell how you are doing by how you feel, once you get used to judging by that.

Also, you can delay a page turn on your nook long enough to get a rate reading, if you need one. Unless your bike is slow, readings don't take too long (it just seems that way sometimes).

I do tend to find that if I'm not careful my reading speed and walking speed are directly related. LOL Then I end up walking too fast.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Make sure perspiration cannot fall onto the screen. Salt water is VERY damaging to electronics items.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I have thought of using my Sony while on the treadmill, exercise bike, or elliptical machine and I decided not to do it. I don't want to get sweat all over it, I don't want to accidentally drop it, and trying to hold my head somewhat still in order to focus on the words just sounds hard. Someone should invent some glasses or goggles that one could wear that would display the words for those of us with the worst cases of reading addiction.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:41 AM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
One of the reasons I was specifically interested in the Kindle was text to speech. I use it all the time when I walk on the track at the gym.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I put my PRS500 into an oversized ziplock bag and I'm good to go on the treadmill. It adds a little bit of glare, but it's worth the piece of mind that I'm not getting my reader wet or salty.
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
whiz16
whiz16 began at the beginning.

Device: sony
how the hack u guys read while bobbing up and down on the treadmill....
whiz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:10 AM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I use my iPad on a rowing-type machine that lets you sit and just use your legs, if you like. I used to read print books on a treadmill. Pretty much the same thing, except no pages to turn. I walk at a steep incline instead of run, which allows for reading. I hold up my tablet or book, so I'm not dripping on it.

I think you can buy or rig up brackets for e-readers on some gym equipment. At least I've read about people using such. Depends on what the equipment is, of course. Maybe try googling?

In my home gym space, I have a TV / DVD player set up. I've found that watching subtitled movies is good while exercising, because it distracts me from how much I hate exercising. With subtitles, I have to pay attention, lol.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:25 AM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
By the way, if you're able to hold your e-reader while on equipment, but worry about dropping it, you might consider buying a waterproof bag (many of them have a lanyard or have holes for such). A cheaper alternative to that is buying a translucent pencil case, the kind with three holes, for inserting into a binder. You can run a cord through one of the holes, slip in your e-reader, zip the pencil case and wear the cord around your neck or wrist if you're worried about dropping. I'm not, so I don't bother. The pencil case also could protect against sweat.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 08-02-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:42 AM   #10
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
I have a semi-recumbent bike at home. I'd had hopes of using my Sony, but just found it too awkward. Reading in general doesn't work out well for me on the bike. Instead, I got one of those little DVD players with a carrier designed for the back seat of a car. I rigged that up so that I can watch movies or home-recorded TV shows while I cycle. It's great!
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:51 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I use my kindle in the Oberon cover on both the bike and the elliptical. prop it up on the display panel. my page turns don't effect the heart rate monitor. I suppose they expect one hand will ;eave to wipe sweat or scratch something occasionally. doesn't work on the pilates machine though. that's kind of ok. entirely different experience
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
On the treadmill, that was the main reason I bought my first Kindle. And with TTS I can listen to my book while I'm performing body weight exercises (pushups, squats and crunches) and while stretching. I just place my Kindle on a hand towel and have a second one handy for when I get sweaty.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #13
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
The treadmill/bike is one place I still use my T/X to read. It has an autoscroll feature so is hands free once I get the right speed set.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I used to listen to audiobooks on my mp3 player while walking, but I really cannot do it while running or doing anything that raises my heart rate. I need to hear some kind of fast music or else I'm stuck in first gear.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #15
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I used to read on my Sony Clie with eReader because it had an autoscroll function so I didn't have to tap to turn pages ... the words just scrolled up the screen at the speed that I designated.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote