Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Any of the Prs 600 / 700 users tried a Nook

I'm curious. Has anyone of the Sony Touchscreen useres tried the Nook? Could you please tell me your experience. What is good or bad compared to the Sony's.

I realy like the designe and the features of the Nook. But after having bought the Kindle 2 and not liking it a at all. I would love to hear some opinions on the Nook. Since it has also touchscreen features in some way.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I played around with the Nook, in store, a few weeks ago for about 10 minutes. It's a nice device and would be nicer if they ever expand the capabilities of the LCD screen. What was most irritating was every selection that is made on the LCD must be mimicked on the e-ink screen. I would prefer to have only have the e-ink update when you actually open a book or change font sizes. A few times I wanted to touch the e-ink screen as I thought that would be the quickest way to select what I wanted. I didn't play with everything and didn't try out the dictionary or virtual keyboard.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I'll add that in terms of polish, Sony is years ahead of B&N (quite literally). I managed to get the nook to crash out to the home screen 3 times in 5 minutes with just the preloaded content. It lacks the same level of organization and navigation that the Sony has (sideloaded content is basically a no-man's land where none of the cool UI things work like cover flow, nor can you sort sideloaded content by anything other than author). In general, it has promise, but it has a lot of catching up to do before it shakes my Sony fanboyism on the Sony Reader line. Sony's got the closest thing to "It just works" on the device itself that I've encountered (the desktop software is another story).

Ergonomically, it is better than the 600/700, as the better placement of the next/prev buttons balances out the heavier weight of the nook.
Kolenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
I have also played with the Nook in-store, and came away with the same thoughts. The navigation is just too wonky. Either have a touch screen like the 600, or a physical button like the 300. The virtual D-pad just doesn't work. And selecting words for dictionary lookup is atrocious. You have to move the "cursor" around to select a word, and every time you move it, it's a screen refresh! It's so slow, it's simply not worth doing.
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Personnaly I like the nook, but I would not buy one based soley on its touch features. I owned a 600 for about 3 hours last week but I could not get past the screen issues and returned it. But the touch features on the Sony are far better then on the nook.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
Mohammad Reza
Mohammad Reza began at the beginning.

Device: IREX-DR800SG
I didn't have either one (although I want to buy prs-600 and I have no option for considering nook because it is not available internationally) but I have some sony devices. sony is quit good in hardware but it sucks in software (improvements). in other hands when you haven't a feature in a sony device there is a low probability that sony adds that feature in its later firmware updates.
I think prs-600 is better device by now, although both device's hardware have a lot of capabilities for adding new features but from what I mentioned about sony, prs-600 will remind where it is while nook will advance in software features.
Mohammad Reza is offline   Reply With Quote