Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
masud.shorif
masud.shorif began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
File transfer from android to kindle

I would like to know is there any way to copy/paste or transfer directly any files to kindle paperwhite's document folder. Much like pc.

As now a days we do our lots of downloads and browsing with smartphones, I think it would be really great if we could directly transfer file from android phones to kindle.

Thank You.

P.s.: By transferring I doesn't mean that you upload a file from android then download it to kindle. No, I know that thing. What I want is a direct data transfer.
masud.shorif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Connect both via USB. Drag and drop the file from the Android to the Kindle's documents folder. Just make sure that the file is in a compatible format.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2014, 12:41 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
How to mount a USB storage device to an Android device:

http://www.howtogeek.com/129800/how-...droid-devices/
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
How to mount a USB storage device to an Android device:
The method you quoted seems a little long-winded. I would just connect the Android device and the Kindle to a PC (or Mac), and drag the files from one to the other.

As Susan Cassidy says, the files have to be in the correct format - and also with no DRM issues - but apart from that the process should be completely straightforward.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
The method you quoted seems a little long-winded. I would just connect the Android device and the Kindle to a PC (or Mac), and drag the files from one to the other.
I would too.

The OP specifically asked NOT to connect both to a host computer, but rather to connect the Kindle directly to the Android device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masud.shorif View Post
P.s.: By transferring I doesn't mean that you upload a file from android then download it to kindle. No, I know that thing. What I want is a direct data transfer.
And thus I provided the answer to that. It is now up to the OP to decide whether it is worth it.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-14-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Advert
Old 09-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
But it doesn't answer the question, as the OP wants to transfer books directly from one device to the other. That is, I'm guessing, without a third device in the middle.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have to have some way to connect the 2 devices, and USB is the only way I can think of. You don't have to copy the files to the pc, just from one device to the other.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You have to have some way to connect the 2 devices, and USB is the only way I can think of. You don't have to copy the files to the pc, just from one device to the other.
And the suggestion I linked to does exactly that, but without a third device in the middle.

Really, why would you imagine that the issue is with storing the files on the third device? I think the OP made clear that the question is about not relying on having a PC handy. And I have provided a solution that does just that. The OP can now choose between doing things to their Android device to allow USB mounting, and using their PC.

The OP has the right answer, you have made your token moral objection, and now everyone can be happy, right? Again, it is now up to the OP to decide whether it is worth it.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard

I still don't understand how enabling USB mounting on Android does anything to connect the Kindle to it. You can't connect the Kindle directly via USB to another device.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
I still don't understand how enabling USB mounting on Android does anything to connect the Kindle to it. You can't connect the Kindle directly via USB to another device.
Have you tried it?

As the Kindle shows up as a USB storage drive, and this method is designed to mount USB storage drives, I will go out on a limb here and say that it is probably going to work, as that is the whole point of "it" in the first place.

Please note that when you say "You can't connect the Kindle directly via USB to another device." I have to wonder how you think it connects to the PC....
Old 09-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard

It only acts as a client device, not as a host. Depending on how you think the USB connection would work, if it requires that the Kindle act as a host device, it won't work.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'd think it would work if the Android device supports USB OTG.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:03 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
It only acts as a client device, not as a host. Depending on how you think the USB connection would work, if it requires that the Kindle act as a host device, it won't work.
Yes. That is how the PC treats it, and that is how the Android device treats it as well. Why are you trying to create problems where none need exist?

Where did I suggest that the Kindle act as a host device to mount the Android (?!?!) as removable storage?

This really isn't complicated.
When the Kindle is connected via USB, it attempts to export the userstore as Removable Storage, in the manner of a flashdrive. That is how it will show up on a PC.
Android devices are not PCs, and don't recognize "flashdrives", like the Kindle or like a traditional flashdrive.
Using a USB On-The-Go cable, you can physically connect a USB2.0 drive anyway. Using certain apps, you can tell the Android to mount the USB2.0 drive, just like it already mounts MicroSD cards, and just like PCs already mount the selfsame USB2.0 drives.
The Kindle, when connected via USB to anything, manifests as a USB2.0 drive.
The USB2.0 drive with the label "Kindle" will be mounted to the Android device.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-15-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:05 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can confirm that connecting a Kindle to an Android tablet via USB OTG works absolutely fine. Just tried it with my Nexus 7 and Kindle PW2.

BTW, eschwartz, I have to respectfully disagree with your assertion that "Android devices are not computers". They are not PCs, but they are certainly computers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
BTW, eschwartz, I have to respectfully disagree with your assertion that "Android devices are not computers". They are not PCs, but they are certainly computers.
You are right, that was inexcusable laziness (of thinking) on my part. Corrected.

Tags
android, file, kindle, paperwhite, transfer