Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #16
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Hah! found the link to the user guide: I was "locked". Life is so much simpler when we read the directions (sheepishly) ...
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #17
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
And after calling customer support (where I got through right away) it appears that my battery ran down. I was impressed that it appeared to have come with a full charge but looks like that was not the case; I'm to leave it plugged in for 3 hours or more.

Symptom: Nothing at all on the screen; when I plugged in the charger, an orange light shows (it was green before).
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Arrgh! Has anyone figured out yet how to download from Android Market? I enabled apps from outside sources, but I don't know (anything) much about Android or their apps. I'm trying to install Kindle app ...
Old 10-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #19
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
* In settings, turn on "Unknown sources" (Allow installation of non-Market applications)?

See Scion's post (#11 in this thread)

That's great! You should be able to download a file explorer from the app market. Astro is common and will suffice. Transfer your app file to the device. You can create a folder if you want. Find it in the file explorer (Astro), then click on it. Should install.

Haven't tried this yet.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #20
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
Arrgh! Has anyone figured out yet how to download from Android Market? I enabled apps from outside sources, but I don't know (anything) much about Android or their apps. I'm trying to install Kindle app ...
Android Market is not open source - it's owned and licensed by Google. Therefore, you can't use it. There are many other free app markets (like getjar). http://slideme.org/ is a big one - they might have the Kindle app. A google search for "kindle apk" will probably get loads of hits too for direct download.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #21
friktion
Zealot

Background color and Slideme.org

Thank you! Signed up to slideme and downed Kindle app - words perfectly! It even downloads my "archived" books.

NOTE: I love the "sephia" setting in the "fonts" - you change the background from pure white to a light caramel color, much easier to read from if you're going to read for a long time (for my eyes, anyway).

I'm starting to get used to this thing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Android Market is not open source - it's owned and licensed by Google. Therefore, you can't use it. There are many other free app markets (like getjar). http://slideme.org/ is a big one - they might have the Kindle app. A google search for "kindle apk" will probably get loads of hits too for direct download.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #22
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Is the headphone jack capable of using a microphone for recording, Skype etc?
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #23
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
No.No microphone.No Skype or Google Voice.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #24
psy65
Enthusiast
psy65 doesn't litterpsy65 doesn't litter

Device: kobo touch
How is the web browser on the kobo vox?
psy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #25
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
No.No microphone.No Skype or Google Voice.
Outch!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #26
grepknob
grepknob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Here is my problem, I bought my first Kobo Vox at Futureshop, set it up, it did its upgrades no problem. The thing was the battery monitor had a question mark on it, and when I checked in the settings it could not see the status of the battery. Also I copuld not power it off. I would hold the button for 20 seconds and it would stay on. I decided to return it, so I wiped all the settings it came up with a message that I had a low battery and had to plug it in to proceed.

Anyway I returned it and got another one.

I plugged the new one in immediately and then turned it on, it goes though the update process and then when it reboots it tells me the battery is too low and it needs to be plugged in. But it is.

Anyway I called Kobo support and they said to charge it fully for 3 hours, which I am doing. They said I was the first to report this but I cannot believe that I got 2 bum units ina row.

Anyway I really want this thing to work...
grepknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #27
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Well, for an extra $100 or so, you get all of that and a camera, too with the Acer Iconia. There should be no surprises here if you had looked at the tech specs.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #28
Atilla
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Well, for an extra $100 or so, you get all of that and a camera, too with the Acer Iconia. There should be no surprises here if you had looked at the tech specs.
That or the new 8" Archos.

I was hoping the head phone connector would let me us a head set with microphone.

Well, such is the nature of the econo tablet.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #29
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Gah, now I'm getting nervous! I'm okay with not being the first batch now. Haven't been charged yet, either, so I know it won't be going out until Monday at the earliest.

Quote:
Well, such is the nature of the econo tablet.
Yep. Some day I'll be able to afford a really good one, but it's hard to justify now. Hopefully I don't get burned; been there, done that. Shelled out a little more $$, got burned again. I really like my work's Galaxy, but it's not mine and I prefer the 7-inchers for reading and occasional surfing. But I can't justify spending what Samsung is asking for the 7-inch Galaxy!

The downside of ordering directly from Kobo will be if I get a dud and have to ship it back. Saved money with the coupon and no tax, but that could bite me in the bum, I guess. However, I noticed a lot of people haven't been charging it out of the box, and usually computer device recommend fully charging before using (at least, in my experience). I wonder if that's part of it, as well as Kobo firmware issues (which from what I've read is kind of their standard way of things).

Argh, I hope it works out, because Coby burned me, Lenovo isn't to be trusted right now, and I can't throw in with Velocity or Viewsonic after reading so many terrible reviews. But that's the budget life, I guess!
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #30
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Actually, the instructions suggest you plug it in right away and keep it plugged in while you set it up and play with it. I did that and have had no issues. It cycled through a couple of times loading the new firmware. Then it took considerable time to load my purchased Kobo library (about 100 titles); I have not yet added an SD card.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote