Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
ebook creator
Curious Member
ebook creator began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question E-book's you want to see being made?

Hi there everyone, I hope life is treating you all well.

I'm curious to see your opinions on this question. If you could ask for an ebook to be made that you would want to read, what would it be about?
ebook creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I wouldn't buy any ebook from someone who doesn't know how to use apostrophes.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I'd like to read an ebook about ebooks, that turns into an ebook.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agreed. Learn the rules of grammar before you even think about starting to create ebooks, especially if you want other people to read them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
ebook creator
Curious Member

Talking

Ok chill out. I didn't know the grammar police was in town. I will check in future to keep you happy, bless you
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, now I know I won't be buying any of your books.

Yes, the Grammar Police are indeed in town. They're also called "ebook buyers," and they're the ones who expect their pbooks without torn pages and their ebooks without torn grammar. They don't believe any number of smilies can make up for bad punctuation.

I really don't understand people like the OP. They dont' seem to think that ebook readers have the same expectations of quality that, say, movie viewers do. They wouldn't want to see the wires when Superman flies, so why do they think there's something unreasonable about ebook readers wanting the technical aspects of writing to be done correctly?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
ebook creator
Curious Member

Thumbs up

yh i no wot u mean. dont u just h8 it when ppl can't use the english language correctly. so annoying. i luv the analogies u used as well, it really getz yur point across - thumbs up for you

Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Well, now I know I won't be buying any of your books.
Yes, the Grammar Police are indeed in town. They're also called "ebook buyers," and they're the ones who expect their pbooks without torn pages and their ebooks without torn grammar. They don't believe any number of smilies can make up for bad punctuation.
I really don't understand people like the OP. They dont' seem to think that ebook readers have the same expectations of quality that, say, movie viewers do. They wouldn't want to see the wires when Superman flies, so why do they think there's something unreasonable about ebook readers wanting the technical aspects of writing to be done correctly?
Hmm but isn't that what editors are for? Granted it would be great if all would-be authors had perfect grammar but that does not seem to be so, as I've just read a comment on another thread about Stephen King and his own grammar shortcomings. I do agree that I would never read a book so riddled with grammar errors but at the same time was rather surprised by the initial comments on this thread. The grammar error could have been pointed out politely and not in such a seemingly below-the-belt manner. Just my two cents (as the OP was also asking about something else). I don't agree with the OP's response but I can understand if they felt just a little bit attacked.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

The problem is, very few indie authors hire (or, in many cases, can afford to hire) an editor. Since the big publishing companies don't visit MobileRead and ask what we want to read, it's a fair guess that the OP is (or wants to be) such an indie. That would leave the burden of quality resting squarely on his back, and from that first post, it looks like he dropped it.

Also, we're not talking an entire book here. We're talking a seven-word headline. One would think that someone who wanted to look good to readers would be able to manage to get seven words and their punctuation correct.

Finally, there's the fact that this particular error shows a lack of reading. People who read don't make that error because it just looks wrong. They know what "right" looks like because they read it on an daily basis, so when they get something wrong, they can see right away that it doesn't match what they're used to reading. They might not know how to fix it, but they know something needs to be fixed, and they'll check it where and as necessary to find out what. I trust the writing of a person who doesn't read about as well as I trust driving of a person who only rides buses.

And I have no trust at all in someone whose response to being informed of a flaw in their product is not "oops, I'll fix that right now" but defensiveness and snark.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Unconnected with the OP, but connected with grammar: my books (paper and electronic) need to be of a certain standard, or it jars me out of the story. One example that sticks in my mind, to the point that I almost set the book on fire, was a book written by an American author. His inability to insert the word "of" after the word "couple" ruined my enjoyment of the book (such as "a couple minutes", "a couple days", etc). I had no problem with it being part of character dialogue, but the laziness of it in-text irked me every time I saw it.

Phew, I've bottled that up for years.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
@WW from what I've read around here, it seems that hiring editors seem to be quite costly (and for good reason. My sister teaches IELTS and I pity her for all those essays and conversations she has to correct. I can only imagine what a real editor goes through) but they could always ask for a beta to look over their work. It's better than nothing. I do admit that grammar makes me hesitate to purchase some indie authors I've been eyeing (sp) for some time now.

And while we're on the subject of grammar, I wasn't aware that the phrase "waiting on" was correct. English isn't my first language (though I'm better at it than my mother tongue). I've been seeing this phrase used a lot more often recently and I wonder why people won't just use "waiting for". An explanation would be great
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
They dont' seem to think

Stop this grandma-tickley criminal behaviour!!!
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebook creator View Post
If you could ask for an ebook to be made that you would want to read, what would it be about?
Are you offering to write ebooks on demand? I'll have one on late 1970s UK cassette culture.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why are so may people picking on the OP when the OP hasn't even said he's going to be writing these eBooks? Maybe someone else will and he'll just format them as eBooks. I don't know what the story is. But why not pick on him? This just sounds like a tar & feather type situation. Give it a rest. And I have to say, I'm very disappointing in HarryT. He's a moderator and yet he also is jumping in with the tar.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not at all, Jon. I'm simply saying that somebody who wants to create eBooks really needs to get the elementary stuff, such as using apostrophes correctly, right. That's a perfectly reasonable comment to make. No tar and feathers - just stating my views as to what the essential pre-requisites are for the job.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, ebook creation, help please, question, read