Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free books (nook) - Phenomenal Girl 5 [Romance] + B&N free book roundup

Phenomenal Girl 5, by A.J. Menden, is some sort of romance/adventure book, part of the SHOMI series.

This comes courtesy of Dorchester Publishing, who have been very generous with the freebies lately. This is available at B&N, which we all know is basically US-only.

Synopsis
An up-and-coming superhero finds love with the man assigned to train her—and a plot that will push the couple to the extent of their powers.

A large number of other books have become free in the B&N store lately, but are labelled under Kindle threads, so nook users may have missed them. For convenience, rather than make you click through a dozen or so threads to check if the one you wanted was one of them, I'll be posting a round-up below.

Happy reading!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's all the stuff that's still available. Subject to expiry at any time.

First a post for all the faith-based stuff, since there was so much of it released today. Non-religious books follow in next post for ease of editing.

For Sony/other ePub users, some of these are also available free at the Kobo store. They have a handy and reasonably accurate Free eBooks link right on their front page, and you'll be able to find whichever of them are available in your area right there.

Extra links now added below. May not be everything, so check if there's a particular one you want. Unless otherwise noted, the Sony and Kobo versions should be available to Canada, and possible elsewhere.

Christian Fiction

Never Blame the Umpire, YA by Gene Fehler. Also at Kobo and Sony.

Preacher Creature Strikes on Sunday, YA by Mike Thaler. Also at Sony.

Mozart's Sister, historical by Nancy Moser.

Naomi and Her Daughters, biblical character novel by Walter Wangerin. Also at Kobo and Sony.

The Malacca Conspiracy, thriller by Don Brown. Also at Kobo and Sony.

The Choice, Amish romance, 1st in Lancaster County Secrets series, by Suzanne Woods Fisher.

The Aedyn Chronicles: Chosen Ones, fantasy, 1st in Aedyn Chronicles series by Alister McGrath. Also at Kobo and Sony.

Christian Non-Fiction (mostly self-help)

I Quit: The Day I Stopped Pretending Everything Was Fine and Changed My Life, My Marriage, and My Church by Geri and Peter Scazzero. Also at Kobo and Sony.

The Land Between: Finding God in Difficult Transitions, by Jeff Manion. Also at Kobo and Sony. Sony version is US-only (which I now notice they've changed to say "Unavailable"), Kobo version is not.

The DNA of Relationships, by Gary Smalley. Also at Sony, US-only, I think it was.

Common English Bible: New Testament, a new translation by the Common English Bible people.

Last edited by ATDrake; 10-20-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Remove expired, add Sony and Kobo links where relevant.
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard

Mystery Thriller Suspense

Chinatown Beat, 1st in SoHo Crime Series by Henry Chang

Sandman Slim with Bonus Content, 1st in series by Richard Kadrey. Apparently this needs to be warned for violence and language. Also at Kobo and Sony (US-only there).

Hunt at the Well of Eternity, 1st in Hunt series by Gabriel Hunt.

Ian Rutledge: Mysterious Profile #24, behind-the-scenes promo packet for series by Charles Todd, pseudonym of a mother/son writing team. Also at Sony (US-only).

The 7th Victim, 1st in FBI thriller series by Alan Jacobson. Optioned for a Hollywood film. Also at Kobo.

Billy Boyle, WWII mystery, 1st in series by James R. Benn. 2nd book in series is only $3.44. I've read partway through this and I have to say that the Norwegian is less crap than I was expecting, given how authors tend to love to show their profound ignorance of actual non-English languages by seeming to choose random words out of a phrasebook/dictionary.

Hour of the Hunter: Free with Bonus Material, thriller by J. A. Jance who apparently went above and beyond to get the horrible typos in the first version fixed. Part of Brandon Walker series.

The Glades, by Clifton Campbell. Screenplay for the A&E television series.

Romance/Erotica

Outlander, historical time-travel romance, 1st in a very long series by Diana Gabaldon. Also at Kobo and Sony, both US-only so I can't dig up the Kobo link due to the particular way that Kobo geo-locates.

Enchanting the Lady, historical paranormal romance, 1st in Merlin's Relics series by Kathryne Kennedy.

An Unwanted Hunger, paranormal erotic romance, 1st in Soul of V'Kar series by Ciana Stone. Also at Sony and direct from the publisher, Ellora's Cave.

The Ghost Shrink, the Accidental Gigolo, & the Poltergeist Accountant, a "Tickle Me Fantasy" paranormal probably erotic romance by Vivi Andrews.

The Wicked House of Rohan, prequel novella to historical erotic romance series by Anne Stuart. Also at Sony and direct from the publisher, Harlequin.

Colters' Wife, familial ménage erotic romance novella in Colters' series by Maya Banks. Also at Kobo.

Seducing Jane Porter, 1st in BDSM erotic romance series by Dominique Adair.

I Thought it Was You, paranormal erotic romance novella, labelled #2.5 in Grimm's Circle series by Shiloh Walker.

Short Stories

Stuck On You, excerpted from the collection And Thereby Hangs a Tale by Jeffrey Archer. I've forgotten which one exactly. Literary fiction. Also at Sony, US-only I think it was.

Outta the Bag, a free prequel story to Me, Myself, and Why, which seems to be a paranormal chick-lit comedy by MaryJanice Davidson. Also at Sony (US-only).

Chapter 15.5: Intersections and Interlopers
, by Ken Scholes and Lisa Desrochers. Crossover fantasy. Also at Sony and Kobo like the rest of the Tor.com shorts below, you can search for them yourselves. Sony versions are US-only, though, but Kobo available elsewhere. Can also download DRM-free in multiple formats straight from the Tor.com website, which I personally encourage.

Overtime, part of Laundry Files series. Hugo-nominated paranormal agency story by Charles Stross. Very funny, especially if you like Lovecraft.

First Flight, Nebula-nominated sf/fantasy story by Mary Robinette Kowal.

A Memory of Wind, Iliad-based fantasy, and Eros, Philia, Agape, science-fiction romance, both by Rachel Swirsky, both Hugo and/or Nebula nominated.

Non-Fiction

Lonely Planet 5 of USA's Best Trips: Our Favorite Themed Itineraries Across America , 5 full trips excerpted from longer book as a sampler by Lonely Planet.

Emotions, essay or presentation excerpted from longer book as a sampler by OSHO.

Shakespeare in an Hour, part of In an Hour series of Cliff Notes-like quickie overviews of stuff.

That's probably about it, aside from the permafreebie bunch of Harlequin romances, Star Wars novellas, MobileReference non-fic, and Smashwords self-published stuff occupying the official B&N Free eBooks page, which I link here in the hopes that increased traffic will make them update it more often and relevantly, which is probably a vain and empty hope.

Last edited by ATDrake; 10-23-2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Remove expired, add Sony and Kobo links where relevant.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Thank you, thank you for taking such time to put those lists together. You continue to help me build a great library of freebies.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #5
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Phenomenal Girl 5, by A.J. Menden, is some sort of romance/adventure book, part of the SHOMI series.
I've read this in paperback and enjoyed it.
Just wanted to say that Shomi is actually a now defunct line/imprint (futuristic action/adventure romance), not a series. There are some Shomi books that are connected, but I think most of them are stand alone titles. This one in particular does have a related book, Tekgrrl.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
TM98
TM98 began at the beginning.

Device: PC, Kindle, Nook, and iPad
Mr Darcy's Diary, Austen-based derivative by Amanda Grange does not seem to be available at this time. While you can download a sample, if you try to download the book you get a "not found" error
TM98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I suspect the price on it was supposed to go up, as the others in that lot all did. That may be why it's in a weird status and can't be downloaded.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard

Well, it's gone back to pay in the other stores, and it says "A new copy is not available from Barnes & Noble.com at this time." when I do general author/title search at B&N (which is silly, since it's not like e-books w/out special promo content go out of stock), so I've removed Darcy's Diary from the list.

I've also put in the links for most of the Sony/Kobo available ones now, and also there appears to be an author royalty non-payment issue which might make you want to hold off on purchasing any Dorchester books until it gets resolved, or at least do some due diligence on the particular authors you intend to get.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:18 AM   #9
Susan Crealock
Online Novels
Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple iTouch
Phenomenal Girl 5 is now available from Kindle
Susan Crealock is offline   Reply With Quote