Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
rjmatyi
rjmatyi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
New PRS-700 -- PDFs in Collections?

Hi there,

I just turned on my new Sony PRS-700 today (the Xmas present that was the main item on my "really want it" list). So far so good, but I could use some input from this forum, so please feel free to respond.

While having a collection of e-books will be nice (obviously), a major reason for having the -700 is the ability to read PDF files. Some background: I am a university professor in the physical sciences -- and like every other professor I know, I have several hundred PDF reprints of articles downloaded from the journals that are relevant to my research. Also, and like many other faculty, I travel frequently, and how better to spend my time on (for instance) my upcoming 15-hour flight to Korea to go through the important papers in my electronic library? Hence the appeal of the -700: the ability to have all of this literature in a convenient and compact package that (unlike the -505) allows you to zoom into important passages for close scrutiny.

The problem is file organization: I have all of these electronic papers organized in the Research folder on my Windows XP hard drive, and it would be *real* convenient if a similar file structure could be imported onto the PRS-700. I've played with the Collections option, but I'm running into problems -- dragging and dropping groups of PDFs is not working (maybe I'm just screwing up....) Any thoughts or experience in this?

Thanks, and merry Christmas!
rjmatyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
I am too in academics and read a lot of research papers which are in pdf format, what I have found is multicolumn pdf do not render ok, multicolumn do not reflow the way you want them, and text is way too small if you want to retain their aspect ratio on the screen, there exist few tools in these forums but they are still experimental.

So in my opinion single column text based pdf just render fine without any intervention, but graphics, tables and graphs are just not good.
Pdf file format is not meant for 6 inch screen.

If you are using sony ebook library than you can read this thread on how to
make collections. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15797

If your primary concern is pdf reading than iliad with full screen is the option or you can wait for eslilk from foxit software to be released in few weeks.

I use calibre and it does make collections of all newspapers rss feed.I honestly dont know how calibre does it, may be via tags?

For experiment I am using trial version of foxit pdf creator to generate pdf files from my existing pdf and surprisingly it works fine with pictures, tables and graphs but unfortunately not for multicolum pdf.

I have decided to wait for eslick their link is http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ebook/
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf, prs-700