Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #31
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
The only idea I can recall being suggested for this that is outstanding is the ability to filter the result groups. I don't want to add it unless more than one person requests it though
I don't want to weigh in on how useful that feature might be to others, but it's not one I'd be likely to use.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #32
Stampercam
Connoisseur
Stampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to behold

Device: ipad, MiGear
I love love love this plugin. You have saved me hours of work. Many thanks.
Cam
Stampercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #33
wolfelric
wolfelric began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
Awesome, I have been needing this for awhile.
wolfelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #34
geordiejohn
Zealot
geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
hello i have downloaded the zip file but can you please tell me how to install in Calibre.
Thank you.
geordiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejohn View Post
hello i have downloaded the zip file but can you please tell me how to install in Calibre.
Thank you.
Open Preferences
click plugins (icon)
at the very bottom

Try the big button

point the file browser to the downloaded ZIP (do not un-zip)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #36
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
You will lose any book or author exemptions when you upgrade to this version.
Since you said it is important wanted to ask before updating. I don't know what exemptions are . If it is only related to this plug in, then I can update with no worry, since I just installed this plug in. But just in case it is something other I wanted to check
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #37
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Exemptions are created in this plugin only. They are when you tell the plugin that a specific group of books (or authors, depending on the type of duplicate check you ran) that it presented you with are actually not really duplicates. It means that the next time you run the duplicate check you will not be presented with that particular combination of books appearing together again.

You create exemptions using the menu option "Mark group as exempt" on the plugin menu, or "Mark all groups as exempt".

It becomes particularly useful when you use some of the "fuzzier" algorithms which are more likely to present you with groups of books that actually are not duplicates of each other.

For example an "Ignore Title, Fuzzy Author" search takes the first letter of an authors first name along with their last name and compares those, so that books by "L. Child" and "Lee Child" would appear as a group. It could be that you have another author called "L.J. Child" in your database that would also be in that duplicate group from this algorithm, but in actual fact it is a valid different author. So you would want to resolve any genuine duplicates out of the group (e.g. lets say L. Child and Lee Child were duplicates so you renamed the L. Child book authors to Lee Child). Then you can mark what remains as exempt in future, which would be an exemption of L.J. Child with Lee Child.

Note that exemptions are for that particular combination of book titles or authors, not that they are never considered as possible duplicates at all. If for instance you added a book by an author called Larry Child and ran the same search again of Ignore Title, Fuzzy Author, then (Larry Child, Lee Child) would be presented as one group, and (Larry Child, L.J. Child) would be presented as a second group. Because of the exemption it is not putting all three authors together in the same group.

The change made from 1.0 to v1.1 of this plugin was to change the way exemptions were stored in the configuration file to something far more efficient. However by doing this, it meant that any users of the 1.0 version would lose their exemptions they had already created, as it was too complex to try to migrate them to the new way of storing them. That is what the warning was about.

Hope that makes sense.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #38
garyft
garyft began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I installed this and it doesn't seem to give me a button or any way to use it. Just installed on .8.
garyft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #39
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you add it to any toolbars or menus? If you missed that step, go to Preferences->Toolbar. For more information see the Introduction to Plugins sticky thread.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #40
garyft
garyft began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kiwidude, thanks for the help. That worked great!
garyft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #41
Giuseppe Chillem
Groupie
Giuseppe Chillem doesn't litterGiuseppe Chillem doesn't litter

Device: IREX DR1000
Can't Download The Zip file either with Firefox 4 and IE9.

A page full of characters is open.

Giuseppe Chillemi
Giuseppe Chillem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #42
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Giuseppe - there must be something going on with your downloads, there is nothing wrong with the zip file on the site. Perhaps anti-virus or something else interfering? Also you could try instlaling it via the plugin updater plugin - assuming you are able to download its zip file of course...
Old 05-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #43
lgladen
lgladen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgladen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgladen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Chillem View Post
Can't Download The Zip file either with Firefox 4 and IE9.

A page full of characters is open.

Giuseppe Chillemi
@Giuseppe -

That means your browser is set to "open" the zip file, instead of saving it - it's trying to "read" the file like a notepad, instead of downloading it to a location you can point calibre to. You might also check the file association settings in your operating system - it might be set wrong for "zip" files.
lgladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #44
Narcio
Narcio began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have been using the binary compare mode for my rather large library (its a bit of a mess.)

I notice that if you have multiple formats for one book, the plugin seems to flag the book as a duplicate, but it does not provide an easy way to determine which (one, multiple, or all) of the formats of a book are duplicates.

example: Lets say you have two book entries in Calibre, A and B, each with formats x, y, and z. If any one of the formats x, y, or z are binary duplicates in both A and B, it will flag books A and B as dups even if the other formats are not.

I find there is no easy / non tedious way to figure out which of the formats are dups and which aren't. Is there any quick way to figure this out? What I've been doing so far is to look at the file size for each format, but this is time consuming and also not a sure solution.

BTW, thanks for the plugin; I've used it extensively.

Last edited by Narcio; 05-17-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Narcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:51 AM   #45
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@narcio - yes what you are doing is the only way. I did raise this exact issue on the development thread for this plugin.

My further thought on this was that the problem you are trying to solve now is a merge issue. As what you are wanting to do is merge those book rows together, taking into account that for any binary duplicate formats within that set there is no user intervention required. My idea for a solution for this which I also mentioned on that thread is a new "smart merge" plugin. This would just be another type of merge, but give you a popup dialog detailing the books and formats in the selected rows. So you could double click on formats that are duplicates to view them to decide individually which to keep etc. If there are no duplicate formats within the group, or if the only duplicate formats are binary duplicates, then it will be able to make all the right decisions for you without you rolling up and down the rows trying to figure out which duplicate formats there are, opening them up and trying to remember which format you opened from which row etc.

However that is nothing more than an idea for a plugin at this point, and it has had no serious thought on what it should look like. There is also the question of book metadata, as to whether as a user you should be able to pick and choose fields from that to win. Thinking about this now I think that is unnecessary, particularly given how much better the metadata sourcing is now in 0.8 compared to previous. It could always be added as a later feature with a second tab anyways if it was thought worthwhile.

So the only other problem is the viewing of formats. In a perfect world what I would like to have is a side by side ebook viewer for this scenario. So you could pick a format with duplicates and open up that format to see them next to each other and decide which to keep. However this is unlikely to ever happen, as it would require calibre changes that would only be useful in this one scenario, and still only marginally so, way too much work.

What might be more practical is if there was a command line argument added to the ebook viewer allowing passing of a window title rather than it just being read from the book metadata. So when you opened a pair of duplicate formats, it would pop open the two book format windows but you could see something in the window title to know which is which from the merge dialog. Maybe this ability exists already, I haven't checked.

Sorry to have rambled onto another subject but my point is there isn't a practical alternative I can think of. What the binary duplicate check is telling you is that you have a group of two or more books that need merging because at least one of their formats is a binary duplicate. A menu item to remove all but one of the binary duplicate formats from that group would be a simpler solution but it only addresses one of the issues that you will need to face when merging the group. I would rather we figure out a more generally useful merge plugin approach that has binary comparison as one of it's weapons to help give a more intelligent merge default.

Tags
cross library duplicates, in library duplicates