Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Khelbiros
Khelbiros is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin v5, Stanza
Microsoft Courier and Asus tablet 'e-readers'

According to this Gizmondo report, Microsoft is working on a new tablet style gadget that is an 'infinite journal' - and can read PDFs, 'Courier file' documents and Powerpoints.

Asus are also developing a tablet-style reader, that opens out like a book that may be cheaper than the Kindle at launch.

However, both gadgets appear to use LCD screens, which means shorter battery life than comparable ereaders. Do you think that these tablets will edge out the market on ereaders rather than Kindle-esque e-ink devices? I'm still hanging out for shots of Apple's rumoured tablet gadget as well.
Khelbiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
The Courier concept video looks amazing.

I don't think those type of things will replace e-ink devices for the hard core readers on this site.

But they would be fantastic once they can do all that for a decent price for those of us with academic jobs etc. that need something with big color screens, mark up capability, and would love internet, e-mail, pda functions etc. all intergrated in a device that we can use to read and mark up academic books/articles, grade and markup student papers electronically etc.

I'm fine with LCD and shorter battery life for these devices. I seldom read more than an hour or two in any one stretch anyway. But again, they aren't for avid readers who read their e-ink devices for hours on end day in and day out. There's room for both types of devices in the market. Though I do think multi-purpose devices will hurt dedicated reader sales some as less hard core readers opt for them over dedicated readers.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I want one of those Couriers, I hope they think up a better name for it though!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
For a device like that, it has to be ready for full day use. I don't see it.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
For a device like that, it has to be ready for full day use. I don't see it.
Once it gets to 6-8 hours I'd be fine. I'm be using in the office etc. near an outlet most of the time. Easy to plug it in after a long meeting or something when I'm back to using the PC.
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The courier concept video looks incredible, however Microsoft is somewhat adept at screwing up concepts. The courier file format would no doubt be proprietary, so I wonder how well you could share information with other platforms. From MS's track record they would lock it down so companies need to buy 10 courier devices to share data and that data can only go across to other MS devices.

I think the ASUS device would be more promising because any software would probably be linux based and very open, easily transferring data into other formats.

Also there have been more Apple tablet rumors, apparently Apple has been talking with newspapers and magazines recently eg. the new york times. They have no other reason for talking to those guys other than a forthcoming tablet afaik. Rumors still abound on sites like cnet/wired but they are talking somewhere before Jan 2010.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yep, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what all the first batch of tablet devices from MS, Apple and others brings.

I sit it out a generation or two and let the kinks be worked out, standards reached, and prices to fall before picking up one.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:51 AM   #8
Xerxes
Addict

Also instead of a fake Moleskine app, I'd rather an enhanced OneNote app.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yep, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what all the first batch of tablet devices from MS, Apple and others brings.

I sit it out a generation or two and let the kinks be worked out, standards reached, and prices to fall before picking up one.
I am trying to do the same thing...usually when I get this way, itching to buy, I go look at my Kindle and I get better right away. Man that display bugs me no end.

Quote:
OneNote would be wonderful...love that app.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #10
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Hm, to me, one great thing about a tablet is, that I can hold it easier than a hard-cover.

I personally want a large screen, but not really a double screen.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
One of the videos or blogs about this posted exactly that sentiment. The design sprang from the perspective of creating a hardware that supported the OneNote style of data manipulation.

If they create this with the wireless charging, I could picture having one of these lying on a charging mat as you work at your computer at home or office, and when its time to go to a meeting or go sit in the recliner, you fold it up and take it with you. An electronic portfolio, and with WiFi sync to a shared documents folder, I'd HAVE to have one. But to be powerful enough to do all the things shown in the video, what hardware spec level do you think they are running?
  • Sub-netbook specs
  • Netbook specs
  • Low-end laptop specs
  • Business laptop specs
  • Faster than current laptop specs
The reason I ask is price of course.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
From MS's track record they would lock it down so companies need to buy 10 courier devices to share data and that data can only go across to other MS devices.
Uhhh? Aren't you thinking of the wrong company? It's Apple that is notorious for locking stuff down!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Uhhh? Aren't you thinking of the wrong company? It's Apple that is notorious for locking stuff down!
Not really. The description he gave sounds like MS applications. Sharepoint style.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Hm, to me, one great thing about a tablet is, that I can hold it easier than a hard-cover.

I personally want a large screen, but not really a double screen.
Yeah, I kind of think I'd prefer one letter sized or so screen as well.

Easier two hold, and seeing one large page at a time is fine--or you could hold it side ways had have two pages displayed that way.

I think a two screen device would be more awkward to hold and read, write notes in a meeting etc.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:56 AM   #15
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yeah, I kind of think I'd prefer one letter sized or so screen as well.

Easier two hold, and seeing one large page at a time is fine--or you could hold it side ways had have two pages displayed that way.

I think a two screen device would be more awkward to hold and read, write notes in a meeting etc.
well, then why not two independent devices that can be paired together and then function as the Courier concept demo shows...then you can have what you want and the rest of us can have what we want and nobody gets to tell anyone what they need...

This is not a technically difficult idea to implement...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote