Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Kindle Can't Open Sideloaded Books

So this is a new issue. I've been using Calibre to edit the ebooks I purchase from Amazon. When I transfer an ebook from Calibre to my device, my Paperwhite for some reason could not open it. I tried with several books, same problem with every book. The only solution is to login to my account on Amazon and deliver the book to my device and download it from the Cloud. Anyone know why this is happening?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_11_12T21_07_41+0400.png
Views:	355
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	115071  

Last edited by Gazella; 11-12-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert the book to azw3 before sending it to the kindle. If it is already in azw3 do an azw3 to azw3 conversion.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Convert the book to azw3 before sending it to the kindle. If it is already in azw3 do an azw3 to azw3 conversion.
The book is initially in AZW format. So I did an AZW to AZW3 conversion and have sent the book, but my PW is still unable to open it. I get the same message.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is this happening for a particular book or all books? If it is the altter, then your PW needs to be reset.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Is this happening for a particular book or all books? If it is the altter, then your PW needs to be reset.
I've only converted one book, I haven't converted the others to check if converting the book before sending it to my PW fixes the issue with the rest of the books. But I guess other books will be the same?.

I've never had this problem when I used Calibre on my MacBook Air running Lion. I'm using my MacBook Pro and on Mavericks. Do you know of any issues with Mavericks and Calibre? Could it be the OS X?

Last edited by Gazella; 11-13-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Gazella
Wizard

Okay, so since I'm back home I converted the rest of the books like you suggested, and they all open fine on my Kindle PW after converting. So the problem is just this one book.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's likely that book has something in it the kindle cant handle, impossible to say what that might be without looking at the file.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
It's likely that book has something in it the kindle cant handle, impossible to say what that might be without looking at the file.
Being a paid book from the Kindle Store, I can't send it to you to check, right? I'm not really an expert in this thing, so I won't know what is causing this if I looked at the file. Oh well
Old 11-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The book works okay when downloaded directly to the device from the Amazon cloud?

Your Calibre version (and Alf's tools assuming you're using them) are both up to date?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The book works okay when downloaded directly to the device from the Amazon cloud?

Your Calibre version (and Alf's tools assuming you're using them) are both up to date?
Yes, my Kindle can open the book when downloaded from the Cloud on my device. The book is DRM-free, so I didn't have to use the tools.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If ti is DRM free opena bug report and attach the file to it. Mark the bug report as private do other people will not be able to see the file.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #12
Gazella
Wizard

Open a bug report? How do I do that?
Old 11-14-2013, 03:12 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

http://calibre-ebook.com/bugs
Old 11-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #14
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you. I haven't yet opened a bug report as I can't find the option to make it private. Do I get to make it private after posting?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes, you can make it private at any time.