Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #16
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurat View Post
I'm looking to jump into the e-reading world. I've looked at the Kindle, Nook and any small sony e-reader.

Mainly I'll be using it for pdf ebooks(screenplays etc) and some normal ebooks. What I want out of it is ease of use and good battery life and portability-something small and light. The sony ereaders have sony software something of which I was never really a fan.

Can you connect them to a mac and use them just as USB drives? How do I transfer pdf to Kindle or Nook? Do I have to pay extra to use the wireless technology on either one?

I'll also be in Europe mostly so something intl. compatible would be great although I've read you can use a VPN?

If I'm in say Germany and I buy a book with the Kindle do I pay in US Dollars or in Euros? Does the price change depending on where I am?
Only Sony 900 does offer 3G - which you can't use outside of US.
If "wireless" is of importance to you, Sony fails.

Personally, I don't care that much about 3G. But I find WiFi quite convenient.
In that instance, nook is kind of benchmark. It does offer both. You even can exchange the US AT&T SIM and replace by your own (needs hacking the OS but is really simple to do). I've done so and easily can download my books via WiFi or 3G over here in Germany. You even can download books from your "calibre" library.
You have to buy books from B&N via VPN. Either on your PC or on hacked nook itself.

Both Kindles are the most "international" ones from your batch. I've got the US versions. I can purchase from Amazon in whatever country I want. Usually, I buy from the US store, a few times I bought from the UK store. Unfortunately, there's not much German content. If you're into "open formats", ePUB is the format of choice - which Kindles can't handle natively.

Personally, I love my Sony 900. I simply find its design and UI perfect.
I love nook for its design as well and it's a rare treat with its WiFi capabilities.
I prefer Amazon's webshop a bit over B&Ns though.

Recommendation:
From the Sony units, I'd only recommend 505 (kind of outdated, but still tops) and 900.
900 makes most sense, if you aim for a touchscreen unit.
If you're into wireless, Amazon is the most international one. But you can do similar on nook (with a little bit of effort). Between nook and Kindle, I'd mainly focus on the file formats and the webshops.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote