Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
suzy
suzy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony psp 300
Can a Sony Pocketreader use Kindle or Nook ebooks?

Can I buy a Kindle or Barnes and Noble ebook and, after downloading it on Calibre, transfer it to my Sony 300? I'm very new to this.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Not directly. Basically, Sony requires ePub (or PDF) either DRM-free or using AdobeID DRM (encryption). Kindle ebooks are usually in the MOBI (AZW) ebook format, and usualy have DRM. B&N ebooks are often in the eReader format with password, and even if they are in the ePub format they use a password-based DRM that isn't compatible with the Sony Readers.

It is possible to buy from Amazon (Kindle for PC) or B&N, strip the DRM, and then convert to ePub using Calibre. This is (probably) legal in the US for your own use of ebooks you bought. The best single source for news about DRM is Apprentice Alf's Blog. However, the K4PC approach is reportedly broken by Amazon's latest update and even Apprentice Alf isn't on top of this yet.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 01:19 AM   #3
suzy

how do you strip a drm?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy View Post
how do you strip a drm?
I did not answer this earlier because we can't give details on these forums. In general you need to download and use the tools discussed in (say) Apprentice Alf's Blog. This is easier than it used to be - the tools are mostly point and click now.

DRM is encryption, so all the tools do is remove the encryption to give you back the original text and formatting. Once you have a DRM-free ebook, Calibre can convert it to whatever format you want.

Last edited by wallcraft; 05-04-2010 at 01:41 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
suzy

Sounds too challenging for me! I guess I'll just stick to other sources. Thanks.
Advert