Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #46
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Hi mgmueller,

I don't know if you've viewed your own photos, but they have a very bluish cast to them. Possibly white balance, or an auto white balance on your camera that's less than stellar? In post 6, you set the readers on white paper, so it should have come out white...

BTW, thank you for the photos and your ongoing comparison of different units!
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #47
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeReader View Post
Oh yes, it left the nearest Depot (thats for me "Frittlingen") this morning at 8:00. Usually UPS is very reliable with shipments to my adress, so I hope it will arrive today.

But back to the DR800S: The missing "intelligent zoom" feature is really a negative aspect, I use this on my Iliad for nearly all PDF files. So I expected that feature on the DR800S too.
Me too. And I agree, one of the main arguments for iLiad. But I don't think I've missed anything. I'm pretty sure it's not there.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #48
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
It is readable. But I don't see significant advantages in comparison to, let's say, Sony 900. Significantly less glare and slightly better contrast, but PDF capabilities aren't any better. Actually, Sony 600 and 900 can zoom and reflow within PDFs. But only for a single page, so cropping margins isn't easy there as well.
Isn't the bigger screen a significant advantage? I think reflowing academic documents which have graphs and formulas and 2 columns usually messes them up. So, I'm thinking of buying a ebook reader soon (I'm in Finland right now) and the main requirement would be that it should display well academic documents and textbooks. Between Sony 900 and DR800, which one would you recommend? (I need something with a big screen, Que, Pocketbook, Skiff or Edge are too far away, timewise) Can you put some photos with the same document I sent you on both devices? What are your impressions on that? (Sorry for so many questions, I hope I'm not bothering you).
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #49
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
Hi mgmueller,

I don't know if you've viewed your own photos, but they have a very bluish cast to them. Possibly white balance, or an auto white balance on your camera that's less than stellar? In post 6, you set the readers on white paper, so it should have come out white...

BTW, thank you for the photos and your ongoing comparison of different units!
I've seen it. No idea, why quality of the pics is that bad. I certainly have bad lighting conditions here, but still it should be better. Theoretically, it's a great camera (Sony DSC-F707). I'll try again later on...
Old 01-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #50
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
.mobi and .prc don't even show in the booklist. Didn't find any way to access them (DRM free of course).
Then it's a no-go for me. What formats does it read? Except epub and pdf, that is?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #51
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
My unit arrived , now away for unpacking and testing, will report soon!
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #52
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
Isn't the bigger screen a significant advantage? I think reflowing academic documents which have graphs and formulas and 2 columns usually messes them up. So, I'm thinking of buying a ebook reader soon (I'm in Finland right now) and the main requirement would be that it should display well academic documents and textbooks. Between Sony 900 and DR800, which one would you recommend? (I need something with a big screen, Que, Pocketbook, Skiff or Edge are too far away, timewise) Can you put some photos with the same document I sent you on both devices? What are your impressions on that? (Sorry for so many questions, I hope I'm not bothering you).
I'm not sure yet between Sony 900 and iRex 800. But quite frankly: Given my great experience with iRex iLiad (one of my alltime favorites and my very first eInk device) I've expected a little bit more. Maybe there's a reason, why iRex 800 is cheaper than iRex iLiad?
For PDFs, the "intelligent" zoom of Sony 900 (just exploding whatever area of the screen to full screen) comes in handy. But it's only working for a single page, which doesn't help for cropping margins or issues like that.
So, for the moment, I really have to say: iRex iLiad seems to remain the undefeated champion for PDFs.

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-21-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #53
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Then it's a no-go for me. What formats does it read? Except epub and pdf, that is?
So far, I've only checked B&Ns .pdb.
It's working flawlessly for my old files (bought from fictionwise, if I remember correctly). But I couldn't make it work for the .pdb I've bought 2 hours ago as a test from B&N.
Both protected by credit card, but different ones.
But still: Very nice, as long as I'm waiting for my Nook (will arrive in about 1 week).

EDIT: The new .pdb I've bought this morning from B&N is working as well. Simple password issue.

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-21-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #54
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
My unit arrived , now away for unpacking and testing, will report soon!
Congratulations. So the first 2 reviews seem to be from Germany.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #55
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
So, I'm thinking of buying a ebook reader soon (I'm in Finland right now) and the main requirement would be that it should display well academic documents and textbooks. Between Sony 900 and DR800, which one would you recommend? (I need something with a big screen, Que, Pocketbook, Skiff or Edge are too far away, timewise
Not trying to sound like I'm jumping on you, but I just wanted to comment on this. I've done that many a time in my life: convinced myself that I couldn't wait for a device that would be perfect for my needs and accepted a substandard unit just because I could have it right now. If you're displaying a lot of paper-sized scientific PDFs, just a bit of advice: don't even consider anything smaller than Skiff or Que. Everything I've seen and read of those devices indicate that they will be perfect for what you need. The DR800 will be a compromise, and you'll kick yourself when those other readers do come out. Just a friendly thought.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #56
DeReader
Connoisseur

First pictures with a size and thickness comparison between my Readers (from left to right): Iliad, DR800S, Sony PRS-300.

The DR800S is actually quite thin, as thin as the PRS-300!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800SComp1.jpg
Views:	1179
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	43965   Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800SComp2.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	43966  

Last edited by DeReader; 01-21-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #57
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
Not trying to sound like I'm jumping on you, but I just wanted to comment on this. I've done that many a time in my life: convinced myself that I couldn't wait for a device that would be perfect for my needs and accepted a substandard unit just because I could have it right now. If you're displaying a lot of paper-sized scientific PDFs, just a bit of advice: don't even consider anything smaller than Skiff or Que. Everything I've seen and read of those devices indicate that they will be perfect for what you need. The DR800 will be a compromise, and you'll kick yourself when those other readers do come out. Just a friendly thought.
I'm in Europe, so Skiff or Que will be launched even later here. As far as I can see from mgmueller's photos, the document looks pretty decent, so the DR800 looks that almost can do the job. My plan would be to buy the DR800 and sell it when a better device comes on the market (would lose 1-200€, though). Other advice is welcomed, as I have not decided for sure yet.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #58
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
First pictures with a size and thickness comparison betwenn my Readers (from left to right): Iliad, DR800S, Sony PRS-300.

The DR800S is actually quite thin, as thin as the PRS-300!
Wow, that's great to see it as nice and thin as the Sony's as well as the size comparison to the iLiad. It looks like they've done a really good job on the hardware. If the battery life is decent I'll definitely be picking one up.

Certainly interested in your battery life experiences over the next few days, how stable you find the device and how well the suspend function works.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #59
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Any sign of a SIM slot? Anybody willing to pull it apart to see if a Wifi card could be put in.

It looks like a very good device but I would like Wifi so I could access some safari books.
Hmm this or wait till there is an 8'' boox.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #60
DeReader
Connoisseur

I did a comparison of a PDF-file on the Iliad (zoomed) and the DR800S, as additional bonus the page from the original book is also on the first picture.

The text is still readable on the DR800S, but beeing only a software issue it is really sad they left the zooming feature out.

On the next picture I reflowed the PDF, but then there's only text without the diagram.

The DR800S is a lot faster in turning pages of the PDF than the Iliad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800SBook.jpg
Views:	1084
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	43968   Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800SReflow.jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	43969  

Tags