Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
kenm
Enthusiast
kenm doesn't litterkenm doesn't litterkenm doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, Nook Color, Acer Iconia Tab A500
Which authors are must reads for you?

I have a list of authors that are must read for me, from the top of my list, in no particular order(I couldn't decide which is my favorite or least favorite).

Fred Saberhagen
Stephen Lawhead
Douglas Preston
Lincoln Child
Arthur C. Clarke
Anne McCaffrey

Stephen Baxter is coming on strong also, I have only read a few of his books(other than the ones he co-wrote with Arthur C. Clarke), but so far everything has been great.

Please add some from your own list, who knows I may find the next author to add to my list.

Last edited by kenm; 12-31-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Needed to add something.
kenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Thumbs up

I have to say my favorite is Lois McMaster Bujold. I only discovered her this past year and have devoured book after book. I finally forced myself to slow down and save the last few in the Vorkosigan series (and Cryoburn in 2010) and the last in the Sharing Knife, Horizon. I love her wit, humor and the subtle way (or not so subtle) she incorporates some social issue, most of which are as relevant today as they were when the books were written over the past 30 years.

I often wonder how many other 'jewels' of authors are out there I have yet to encounter. So, thanks for your list, I will have to check them out!
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Tessie6
Connoisseur
Tessie6 doesn't litterTessie6 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
David Weber and his Honor Harrington series. His other books are good but these are the best.
Mercedes Lackey and her Valdemar stories.
Sharon Lee and Steve Miller - in particular the Korval series. Although anything by one or the other or together is wonderul.
Tessie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Robertson Davies, Martin Amis, Ian McEwan, William Trevor, Anne Tyler, Arthur C. Clarke.

(There are a host of writers from further back in time as well, but that'd get boring .)
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
In no particular order: Jayne Ann Krentz (Amanda Quick & Jayne Castle; same person, different genres of romance); Laura Childs, Beverly Connor, Donna Andrews, & Maggie Sefton.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
J. D. Robb is the one that comes to mind as the one I always read, no matter what. Others I like very much, but I can think of genres they write in that I won't read...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
Archergal5219
Semi-retired semi-hero
Archergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Palm Zire71, EEE PC901, Sony PRS-505
Let's see:

Terry Pratchett
Peter S. Beagle
Peter F. Hamilton
Last year I'd've said Dan Simmons until I read Drood. But I hated that book so much I may have to reconsider.

ETA:I knew I was forgetting some important folks:
Connie Willis
Robin Hobb
who both have new books coming out in 2010.

Last edited by Archergal5219; 01-01-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: My failing memory.
Archergal5219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:11 PM   #8
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
There are just a few authors out there that when I see they have something new I have to have it, even if it is only in hardback. They are:
Neil Gaiman
Terry Pratchett
Harlan Ellison
Charlie Huston
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Alastair Reynolds
Joe Abercrombie
Kurt Vonnegut
Vladimir Sorokin
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
  • Steven Erikson
  • Tad Williams
  • Peter F. Hamilton
  • David Zindell
  • James Barclay
  • Isaac Asimov
  • William Gibson
  • Jules Verne
  • Edgar Allan Poe
  • Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Mark Twain
  • Kurd Laßwitz
  • Paul Keller
  • and many more
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Douglas Coupland
Margaret Atwood
Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb
Connie Willis
Charlaine Harris
Stephen King
J.M. Coetzee
Neil Gaiman
John Irving
Cory Doctorow

I will at least investigate books by these authors and usually will buy them.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Banana Yoshimoto, Haruki Murakami, Robertson Davies, Neil Gaiman, George R.R. Martin, among others. I'd like to give Margaret Atwood an honourable mention, as well.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #13
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Jack McDevitt and Terry Brooks for me. My wife always gets McDevitt's latest for Christmas for me, and it's usually the first book I read in the new year.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #14
FantasyDweller
FantasyDweller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I would have to say there are some great fantasy authors I am enjoying as the New Year starts.

I just got a Kindle for Christmas and I have already downloaded The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (http://tinyurl.com/ygc5t7k), The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks (http://tinyurl.com/yhrjcth), Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (http://tinyurl.com/yhvtkuq), and The Stolen Moon of Londor by A.P. Stephens (http://tinyurl.com/yf9udd9).

Got to love the Kindle and a bunch of Amazon giftcards for the holidays.
FantasyDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:57 AM   #15
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Alastair Reynolds, Greg Egan, Charles Stross, Steven Brust, Richard Morgan
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote