Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
laos369
laos369 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
metadata.opf no longer being created

When adding a new book, and after editing the metadata, I notice that there is no metadata.opf file created in the relative book folder.

This did not occur immediately following my upgrade 0.8.15 (on the 19th) but only started to happen today (21st).

I have gone though REPAIR but to no avail.

I do not know if it is safe to load a previous version so I can test if the problem persists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ...
ty
laos369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just leave calibre alone for a couple of hours, the metadata.opf will get created eventually.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
laos369
laos369 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Ah, so it has .. so it has!

As always, excellent support, Kovid!

Most appreciated ...
laos369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Points began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kovid,

What exactly is the metadata.opf file, and how does it compare to content.opf? It seems to have metadata that could go in content.opf, and that I assumed would be there when I entered it in calibre, but isn't. Instead, it's in this separate file.

Thanks.
Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Points View Post
Kovid,

What exactly is the metadata.opf file, and how does it compare to content.opf? It seems to have metadata that could go in content.opf, and that I assumed would be there when I entered it in calibre, but isn't. Instead, it's in this separate file.

Thanks.
You are in dangerous territory if you can see that file.

metadata.opf is a DB recovery, backup of what you see in the Library view.

Content.opf is part of the book
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
What exactly is the metadata.opf file, and how does it compare to content.opf?
As theducks stated the metadata.opf file and the content.opf file don't have anything to do with one another. The metadata.opf is strictly a database recovery tool in case of a corrupted library.

Quote:
It seems to have metadata that could go in content.opf, and that I assumed would be there when I entered it in calibre
The metadata you add to calibre is inserted in the book when the book is exported from calibre's library. Send to device and Save to disk are two methods for exporting books from the calibre library. When exporting using these methods the metadata is embedded in the book and the content.opf file is updated in the exported book.

Good Reading.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
The metadata you add to calibre is inserted in the book when the book is exported from calibre's library. Send to device and Save to disk are two methods for exporting books from the calibre library. When exporting using these methods the metadata is embedded in the book and the content.opf file is updated in the exported book.
Thanks.

Quote:
You are in dangerous territory if you can see that file.
OMG, the black helicopters are circling! Have to get out of haaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks.

OMG, the black helicopters are circling! Have to get out of haaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Did you survive?

Seriously. If you are asking these type of questions, you really are not ready to be messing around inside the library.
Think:Bull in the china shop.
The simple reason: Calibre has no idea what is done with that folder once it was made. Change 1 letter and the item disappears to calibre the next time it wants something it left there.

Your questions are a good step to get ready so you don't do damage later.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Bulls are far more graceful than they're given credit for. I remember watching a Myth Busters episode where they set loose a bull in a pen with shelves of china and by far, I think I'd have been a lot clumsier than the bull.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Seriously. If you are asking these type of questions, you really are not ready to be messing around inside the library.
The simple reason: Calibre has no idea what is done with that folder once it was made. Change 1 letter and the item disappears to calibre the next time it wants something it left there.

Your questions are a good step to get ready so you don't do damage later.
I'm truly awed at your superior knowledge and your graciousness in sharing it with me, and in pointing out my own contemptible ignorance. I'm much stupider than you think I am and would never have been able to figure out, or even intuit, any of what you said myself. Having only worked with computers since the 80s, I frequently make arbitrary changes to files, especially when I don't know what they are. You undoubtedly saved me from serious consequences, because I don't use calibre for library functions--just for conversions--and wanted to know what that file was before making manual changes to the epub I created. I'm so glad you didn't take an arrogant, superior tone and make your post come off like a putdown.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I don't use calibre for library functions--just for conversions--and wanted to know what that file was before making manual changes to the epub I created. I'm so glad you didn't take an arrogant, superior tone and make your post come off like a putdown.
I am not a mind reader. (and I have another 8 years of computer usage on you. A PDP-8L )
Newbies (to calibre) are used to making changes to file names. Part of the Database is the File. Change that and the linkage is broken.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #12

It has nothing to do with being a mind reader. Did you notice DoctorOhh's post? He answered the question (which you didn't) without feeling the need to issue a putdown about my supposed ignorance. There will always be people on this forum whose knowledge is inferior to yours. That's what it's for--so people can learn. If you can't provide answers without trying to make them feel stupid, then don't reply. Thanks for your apology.