Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #16
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
When I first got my Glo, I tried a class 10 16GB Adata card that never worked in my Touch. It worked great with the Glo. Then I did the stooopid stuff i will not admit to in public and I had the reboot debacle that is the subject of this thread. I inserted the 4 GB class 2 Lexar SD card into the Glo and had the same issues: non-responsive to page turns, reboot after several dead taps on the non-responsive book, and reboots when attempting to open a book from the book list that was not among the five books displayed on the home page.

I tried a factory reset, but it did not fix this issue.

What did fix it, on both cards, was reformatting the cards (fat32). After reformatting the cards I did a sync without the cards, inserted the card, and then transferred my books (I used calibre and transferred my 32 books in two batches).

I am confident enough to recommend trying this. How to prevent it from happening, is another issue. From what I can tell, using a new sd card, or a freshly formatted sd card, should work, Pulling a card from my older reader and inserting it into the Glo did not, but that may have been an anomaly.

Last edited by taming; 10-07-2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar, oh my
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #17
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
When I first got my Glo, I tried a class 10 16GB Adata card that never worked in my Touch. It worked great with the Glo. Then I did the stooopid stuff i will not admit to in public and I had the reboot debacle that is the subject of this thread. I inserted the 4 GB class 2 Lexar SD card into the Glo and had the same issues: non-responsive to page turns, reboot after several dead taps on the non-responsive book, and reboots when attempting to open a book from the book list that was not among the five books displayed on the home page.

I tried a factory reset, but it did not fix this issue.

What did fix it, on both cards, was reformatting the cards (fat32). After reformatting the cards I did a sync without the cards, inserted the card, and then transferred my books (I used calibre and transferred my 32 books in two batches).

I am confident enough to recommend trying this. How to prevent it from happening, is another issue. From what I can tell, using a new sd card, or a freshly formatted sd card, should work, Pulling a card from my older reader and inserting it into the Glo did not, but that may have been an anomaly.
Hey I did that as well. I took to reformating the card. But then it still happened. So I tried your suggestion, which was to transfer to the main memory of the unit..... result was the same, reboot hell. I did notice that this reboot happened with a purchased book, "THE FOURTH AWAKENING" and I purchased it from kobo for a decent price. Not sure what to say, but I am going to make an edcuated guess to the cause. I think its the glo light that is at fault here. Specifically due to the magnetic switching off. By that not the physical act of the magnet doing its thing, but the software waiting for the indication of the act of closing the cover ( usually detected by a reed switch, may not be the case for TG).

Ugh Gonna have to wait for a result from Kobo, But for now I am going to eperiment using the sleep button only not the sleep cover method.

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am getting some help trying to figure out if the fact that i did a sync after the mass removals of books from the main memory or the card might have cleaned up the Db a bit, thus improving my results. I have no reason to think the light is involved.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
Andrey6
Andrey6 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Since I did a factory reset. Which of course resulted in the reinstallation of the firmware, I have not had a spontaneous reset. So I am thinking that the first set up via wifi, probably was corrupt. Either way its still early days as far as that goes. And hopefully Kobo will be on top of this like Flies to S**t.

Regards

Jack
jackastor,
thank you.
I've done it and Globo is working well now.
Globo is my first Kobos gadget so I have many questions.
Can I add other dictionaries in Clobo? And if it's possible how can I do it?

Last edited by Andrey6; 10-07-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: adding question
Andrey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #20
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
the spontaneous reboot also occured without the light on (same book as before). The card I use is the one that was on my Touch before and worked greatly with it. As much I can bear some dead taps, slow page turning and so on (nobody's perfect ) but this one drives me crazy. Please Kobo people, do something to fix it as soon as possible
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #21
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I had the reboots issue and found that my Touch SD card did not work until I did a reformat of the card and added the books back in when the card was in the Glo. YMMV.

Last edited by taming; 10-07-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #22
DarrellAtKobo
Kobo Customer Care
DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I don't have any magic, but I do know that on the Touch, using the same card I have always used and running 2..4 I had no problems. Using a new card in the Glo, I had no reboot problems. Somehow I screwed this idyllic situation up on the Glo. (I am not going to embarrass myself by telling you the weird stuff I tried with the Glo within the first 24 hours of having it in my hot little hands, but a factory reset truly is a wonderful thing from time to time).

Reformatting the SD card and then adding books in seemed to work, but I suspect that for now it is a fragile situation and have decided to pass on the SD card until the Kobo team figures it out for us.

I have a feeling (not supported by any facts at all) that this will be the problem that the development team will be looking at with some degree of urgency after they take a breath and enjoy our Canadian Thanksgiving weekend.
Hello Taming,

I have been able to confirm with a member of our development team and you are correct they will certainly be looking into this. I hope to have an update on Tuesday.

Regards,
Darrell.
DarrellAtKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #23
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I am assuming you mean you are hoping to have an update regarding the existence of the problem and confirmation that Kobo is working on it, rather than an update to the firmware. It could take more than a day to get this resolved.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #24
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I'm actually 82% in the book I'm currently reading, so, I'll finish this one, and afterward will format my SD card, then put my books back on it and will tell you if those (censured) spontaneous reboots still occure
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #25
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellAtKobo View Post
Hello Taming,

I have been able to confirm with a member of our development team and you are correct they will certainly be looking into this. I hope to have an update on Tuesday.

Regards,
Darrell.
Darrell thank you for letting us know that Kobo is on top of this situation. We always knew that you guys were, but its nice to know that you are.

Jack
Old 10-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #26
Big Mack
Enthusiast
Big Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of light

Device: iPod Touch 4; iPhone 4; Kobo Touch; Kobo Glo
HELP! I formatted my SD card (through the Kobo Glo) and it doesn't seem to recognize it anymore. I transferred the books via Calibre after formatting but after ejecting and unplugging, the Glo doesn't seem to detect it. I took the card out and re-inserted it to no avail. When i plugged it back into the Mac, Calibre doesn't list any books that it previously copied onto it. I can see them when opening up in Finder, but not in Calibre....
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When you formatted, what format did you use? I think you want to ensure it is formatted FAT-32.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #28
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
( usually detected by a reed switch, may not be the case for TG).

Maybe a Hall effect sensor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect_sensor
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #29
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Tried reformatting it on your computer, via a MicroSD adapter? Or through a phone with a MicroSD slot?
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #30
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
ACtually i think your right.

Thanks for the tip.