Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My Smart Phone Is My Newspaper

I stopped reading paper newspapers some time ago because the news they thought was important didn't usually matter to me.

So I created my own newspaper using RSS feeds on topics that fit my work and personal interests and read it on my computer, usually using Google Reader.

This has worked great, but my smartphone (Galaxy Note) is taking this to a new level. I use Pulse.me and it gives me a graphic handheld magazine on all my favourite topics, automatically updating every day.

So now I have my newspaper wherever I go.

Another benefit. This morning I came across a Linux article I thought my son would be interested in and a new green building material I thought a friend would be interested in. I just clicked on the email button in Pulse, and since it is connected to my Gmail, typed the first few letters of their names and was able to forward the articles in seconds.

I haven't bought a national newspaper in years. I still look at the local one for our small city, but I could even get that one online as well.

I wonder how print newspapers are surviving.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
They aren't, they're in dire straits. I ended my subscription more than eight years ago. I've noticed that typos, grammar errors are on the rise, that surely can't help.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I've always wanted a newspaper that would be sent to me using something like a fax machine every morning, with a subscription I could customize to add more science articles and comic strips, and cut out the sports pages entirely. Sad thing is, the newspapers probably wouldn't consider something like that. Like the Big 6, they're using a business model that was already old during the world wars.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I still like the real "newspaper feel". So I use newspaperdirect.com. You get an exact copy of a great number of newspapers from around the world and can choose a different one to read each day for just $9.99. I usually read the IHT, and a local paper or a German paper on Sundays. Works great on a PC, Android-, or iTablet. I occasionally read on my 5" phone when traveling, although I much prefer the reading experience at 10" or above.

They give you a free trial month if you ask them.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Hubby still likes his paper newspaper, me, I think I could do without. And yes, the papers are in trouble, our local paper is now going to 5 editions per week as opposed to six.

They had a stand out front of Walmart the other day, touting a drawing for a $50 shopping spree gift card, I'm sure they were hoping to sign up some subscribers. The guy manning the stand sounded way too surprised when I told him I was already a subscriber.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Thanks for the tip on using pulse.me. Do you have to specify news sources when using this service?

I stop my newspaper subscription several years ago. Currently I'm using Google Alert. By entering keywords, I don't have to specify any news source. Google just emails me once a day all sources containing the specified keywords.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I ended my daily subscription (Denver Post) years ago, but kept the weekend edition until a few months ago. I do/did enjoy reading the special features, but it just wasn't worth the price. Though actually (even before I saw this thread) I was thinking of going out and picking up the Sunday Edition....just to see....

I've tried reading it online, but the figgin intrusive ads and popups are far too annoying.

My home page on my various devices is set to Google News ... that's where most of my info comes from.

I'm also increasingly annoyed with the local TV news (dropped cable years ago as well) and have considered just dropping that (removing my dvr schedule) as well.

Oh and I LOVE Pulse!

Last edited by kennyc; 09-09-2012 at 08:11 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
my parents still prefer to read the newspaper, and that's good. the person who delivers our newspaper surely needs the income he receives from that.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
Thanks for the tip on using pulse.me. Do you have to specify news sources when using this service?

I stop my newspaper subscription several years ago. Currently I'm using Google Alert. By entering keywords, I don't have to specify any news source. Google just emails me once a day all sources containing the specified keywords.
With Pulse.me you can choose from the news sources they offer or add any RSS feed.

So you could add CNN or BBC and pretty much every blogger on the planet. I have screens set up for my Internet marketing feeds (business research) my astronomy hobby and general ones about other topics I am interested in like e-reading and mobile technology.

No newspaper could give me the range of articles that I can assemble myself using RSS feeds.

I also use Google Alerts to search for mention of me. No I'm not vain, I do this to monitor my business reputation online.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
That's wonderful. I'll get an account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
I also use Google Alerts to search for mention of me. No I'm not vain, I do this to monitor my business reputation online.
Meeeeeee too!
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I ditched newspapers and television news years ago. I now get all of my news content from the web. My three favorite news sites are:
  • Google News - for national & international news
  • Pulse - for magazine content (interests & hobbies)
  • NWCN (Northwest Cable News) - for local news
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
newspaper is always handy when you have a broken glass in the house
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
newspaper is always handy when you have a broken glass in the house
We need it to catch parrot poop. So we get old newspapers from our neighbors.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I still like the real "newspaper feel". So I use newspaperdirect.com. You get an exact copy of a great number of newspapers from around the world and can choose a different one to read each day for just $9.99.
$9.99 per day is a pretty steep price for a newspaper.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
I have to have my morning paper. I can scan a page and read what I want. No pages rolling up and down as ads load, no corners rolling in for more ads, just a slow relaxing read. Sometimes the lack of electronic media devices is a good thing. Of course I'm 70 so that may effect my outlook.
Marty
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote