Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Grandero
Grandero began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Calibre not detecting Kindle 4

My System: I am running Calibre 0.8.56 along with the plugin Kindle Collections 1.7.10 on an Ubuntu 10.04 laptop.

The Problem: When I connect my Kindle 4 (and it mounts properly on my system), Calibre fails to detect it.

Additional Information: I launch calibre from the command line with "calibre". The following is written to the terminal while Calibre opens:

Code:
grandero@grandero-laptop:~$ calibre
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/utils/config.py", line 264, in refresh
  File "site-packages/calibre/utils/config.py", line 253, in raw_to_object
  File "plistlib.py", line 103, in readPlistFromString
  File "plistlib.py", line 78, in readPlist
  File "plistlib.py", line 401, in parse
  File "xml/parsers/expat.py", line 4, in <module>
ImportError: /usr/calibre/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/pyexpat.so: undefined symbol: XML_SetHashSalt
When I mount my Kindle 4, nothing changes on the GUI, but the following is written to the terminal:

Code:
Unable to open device <calibre.devices.kindle.driver.KINDLE2 object at 0x9a2cc6c>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 166, in do_connect
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 857, in open
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 618, in open_linux
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 591, in mount
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 565, in node_mountpoint
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/udisks.py", line 8, in <module>
  File "site-packages/dbus/__init__.py", line 78, in <module>
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'exceptions'
Some Background:
I use Calibre and this plugin with my Kindle on a different machine, my Ubuntu 10.04 desktop, without any trouble. However I wanted to be able to manage my Kindle on the road as well, so I decided to install it on my laptop. I installed it with this command:
Code:
sudo python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info[0] > 2; u = __import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1); exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read()); main(install_dir='/usr')"
Then I installed the plugin from within Calibre. But then I took a shortcut. I simply copied my Calibre library from my desktop machine to a new directory on my laptop, and then I copied my .config/calibre folder from my desktop to my laptop. Finally, I edited line 23 in global.py within that folder to accurately reflect the new location of my library:
Code:
library_path = u'/home/grandero/Calibre Library'
This seemed to work just fine, and I'm 80% sure I even plugged the Kindle in to the laptop and calibre detected it that first time. Has this shortcut create the problem?

One final observation: There are three files present at the root of the Kindle's file system: driveinfo.calibre, kindle_collections_path_cache.calibre, and metadata.calibre. Does Calibre expect one Kindle to always be connected to one install of Calibre?

Thanks in advance!
Grandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181552
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Grandero

Thanks, but I wasn't asking about DRM removal. Is this an autoreply?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Click the link I posted:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181552

kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Grandero

Ah, my mistake, sorry! I just read the text!

Thanks so much for the prompt feedback!
Advert

Tags
calibre, kindle, linux, ubuntu