Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Kindle DX goes International

Amazon just released a pair of press releases about the KDX now being availble with global wireless in over 100 countries. (Apparently they thought the news was so importantly it had to be said twice.) It's up for preorder now, and will ship on 19 January.

BTW, there was a story a few weeks ago about a KDX shortage. I guess Amazon sold out of the KDX with US wireless a little fastrer than anticipated.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....185&highlight=
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....183&highlight=
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I just watched Amazon's Kindle DX video and I didn't realise how big a 9.7 inch reader is. I don't think you'd want to be lugging that around the park or at the beach but as it says in the video you can also use it for business purposes.
At nearly US$500 you'd want to get some business use out of it
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
EDIT: I misread "(Foreign Language) Kindle" as foreign language Kindle
but they were press releases in each of several languages instead, about
the new Kindle :-

I like that it's the same price right off. Not selling the old one.

- Andrys
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com (no blog entry done on this news yet :-) )

Last edited by andrys; 01-06-2010 at 01:45 AM.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:15 AM   #4
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
How nice of them to go international with all of their current devices - now if they just would go international with publishers, too ...
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:03 AM   #5
aleandre
aleandre began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Cybook Opus, iPad
No epub support... Yet.
aleandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
How nice of them to go international with all of their current devices - now if they just would go international with publishers, too ...
They are doing - eg they've recently signed up "Random House", who are one of the largest British publishers (they are the British publishers for authors such as Dan Brown and Terry Pratchett).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:10 AM   #7
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
US power adapter. Very useful for International customers
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #8
sergiodongala
Connoisseur
sergiodongala doesn't littersergiodongala doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Well I was about to give it a try when I discovered that it is not international actualy,
it is for 100 countries, and since my country is not there...
Anyway, I was reading reviews of kindle DX on amazon.com and I saw that pdf suport is not as good as it should for professional use (no zoom, and no use of the links on the file. It shows the page just as an image file), so I think its out for me, I'm going to wait for another.

Last edited by sergiodongala; 01-06-2010 at 05:17 AM.
sergiodongala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
US power adapter. Very useful for International customers
That's the same as for the K2. You just need a plug adaptor.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:43 AM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
This is good!
It should give Sony more incentive to ramp up global release of its devices..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
More good news for ebook readers! Yeah!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:37 AM   #12
windylim
windylim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 prospective
For all the fanfare about "International", the kindle (DX or otherwise) cannot be shipped to Singapore for some strange reason. Doh.
windylim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Great news! I'm loving my iKindle as my first ebook reader device.
As the 6" Kindle, the DX is also a great deal - (180 € + shipping). 340 € (plus shipping) for a 9,7" e-ink device?! In Spain that's the regular price for almost every 6" ebook reader...

Let's hope for more recent released titles in Spanish in the Kindle Store... If the Kindle is going to be global its contents have to be global too...
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #14
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's the same as for the K2. You just need a plug adaptor.
Yes, I know that. I did see the K2 release.

You'd think that for the guts of $500 + VAT they could include a UK charger. Amazon want foreign business but they don't see to be prepared to give us the same deal as the US customers. Once again, blogs and the experimental web browser are not available in the UK. As for the newspaper and book availability, I'm assuming its not much better than it was for the K2.

Why don't they forget about including the charger and reduce our price instead.
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Given that the charger probably costs about £1, if that, it's probably simply not worth the hassle of taking it out of the box.