Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2007, 05:28 AM   #1
carolirvin
carolirvin began at the beginning.

How Do I Hold Large Size PDF

My problem is this: I read two pages in the largest size I've been able to get by pressing the size button (2 presses). At the third page, the text reverts back to the smaller print and I have to make 2 immediate size button presses again. Then it is large for another two pages. Is there a way to make the whole thing stay at the largest size from beginning to end? I am reading in the pdf format. I created the pdf and there is no DRM on it. The horizontal mode seems to work better so far than the vertical for me.

As a whole, I am so far a bit underwhelmed by this device. I have no interest in buying books at Sony so if that is Sony's real purpose is providing an ereader, it will not have me as a repeat buyer. I think it is being very short sighted in this regard. It is not going to corner the ebook reading market with its approach thus far.

Mine reads all right except for this resizing problem but I don't like the grey background and I don't like the way it does not maximize pdf support in every way possible.

I also think this is very, very expensive for what you get.

I have a much better reading experience on my macbook so, but for the sony reader's size and complete absence of heat, reading on a macbook is a far superior experience.

I have 2 ipods and no desire to listen to music on a sony ereader instead.

carol
carolirvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolirvin
My problem is this: I read two pages in the largest size I've been able to get by pressing the size button (2 presses). At the third page, the text reverts back to the smaller print and I have to make 2 immediate size button presses again. Then it is large for another two pages. Is there a way to make the whole thing stay at the largest size from beginning to end? I am reading in the pdf format. I created the pdf and there is no DRM on it. The horizontal mode seems to work better so far than the vertical for me.
I'd recommend that you use PDFRead to process the PDF into something that is more readable on the Reader. Use the prs500-l profile during conversion. Please note that the tool actually converts each page to an image and runs a lot of image processing filters to improve the appearance, so the file size may be bigger than the PDF you have.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid I have no idea why your document isn't staying at the "Large" size, but I'd just comment that PDF is an appallingly bad format for an eBook. That's not what it was designed for, and it's not what it's good for. You say that you created this PDF yourself - I would recommend that you try converting it to a format like RTF; you'll get much better results on the Reader with that.

If you don't want to buy "Connect" books, then don't. There are tens of thousands of books available completely free - a lifetime's reading.

The background colour varies dramatically with the lighting conditions. Read in good light, and it's almost white. A good reading light is an essential accessory for the Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If you did create the PDF yourself, did you make its 'pages' the same size as the Reader's screen? That right there will eliminate the need to use the size button at all.

Sony has a doc that recommends how to size them, if you're interested in that, you can find a link to it in the Reader's Wiki entry.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Sorry, I didn't read the part where you mentioned you had created the PDF yourself.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote