Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Post linphone, open-source voip software

http://www.linphone.org/eng/screenshots/desktop.html

http://www.linphone.org/eng/document...-linphone.html

http://www.linphone.org/eng/linphone...e-account.html

known issues:
Typing currently puts out unwanted characters. Deletable but fiddly.
Solution: an alternate keyboard may be more suitable or a solution with xmodmap perhaps.

preferences page too wide for 600x800 resolution screen.
Solution: runs landscape in Xephyr

Doesn't fullscreen by default
Solution: click fullscreen button, should fix with something better.

To be honest it is quicker to edit the /mnt/us/extensions/linphone/.linphonerc
file sometimes than fiddle with the menus. but once it's all setup nicely it works fine.

Someone should look to build this native IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_573.png
Views:	292
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	110318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_574.png
Views:	291
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	110319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_575.png
Views:	270
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	110320  
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Very cute! Using a Kindle to voice chat? On a touch with a mic and speaker?
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:41 AM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
Very cute! Using a Kindle to voice chat? On a touch with a mic and speaker?
Touch has both of them
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #4
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Touch has both of them
Thanks, I realize that (I have the VAGUE extension installed). I was just commenting on the strange idea of using an ebook reader as a phone device! I'm curious to hear how this works out in real life - can you carry on a conversation this way?
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Yeah. First official international test is upcoming.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
Thanks, I realize that (I have the VAGUE extension installed). I was just commenting on the strange idea of using an ebook reader as a phone device! I'm curious to hear how this works out in real life - can you carry on a conversation this way?
Yes - it works.

No binaries released yet - additional testing is felt to be required.
But someday, RSN . . . .
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:48 AM   #7
nick-tech
Enthusiast
nick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: kindle touch
is there a way to get the binaries? I would like to test linphone on my kindle touch..
nick-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-tech View Post
is there a way to get the binaries? I would like to test linphone on my kindle touch..
Second person in two years to show any interest in this project.

With such overwhelming demand, it may be awhile before this add-in is packaged (like, never).

To get the binaries (I don't have them myself, pitched due to LOI and LODS) you can follow the first post links;
or
Check the current release of Buildroot (.org) - I think it will build LinPhone for you now.

Edit:
Yes, LinPhone is now included in Buildroot:
http://buildroot.org/downloads/manua...l#package-list

If the KT libraries are too old to support LinPhone -
Then check out the generalized process of running more than one version of the standard system libraries **concurrently** on a Kindle (or any ELF system) shown in my "ARMhf on Kindle" thread.

Ah, Buildroot will build the required PatchElf for your host build machine also:
http://buildroot.org/downloads/manua...t-package-list

(The Buildroot developers added that ability to support these after-market builds for Kindles, at my request - I convinced them it was a good thing to have for embedded system builders in general, they did the work.)

- - - -

I think that the ability to run modern system libraries concurrently with the aged Amazon libraries on the Kindles was close to VoIP on Kindles in winning the award for lack of community interest.

And no, it wasn't one of my *thought projects* - the thread includes working examples (nano, luajit) to show that the newer libraries are being loaded and used.

Last edited by knc1; 06-22-2015 at 07:49 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
voip