Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
cnote
cnote began at the beginning.

Device: ibook
Text Alignment Options

Kindle readers typically align paragraphs in one of three ways, flush left, justified or a clever combination of both. Does anyone know how to create the clever combination? It seems that some ebooks have the ability to display paragraphs in such a way as to not allow large spaces to appear between words. Instead, it will flush left a line in the middle of a justified paragraph to prevent large spaces. How is this accomplished? Is it in the html or CSS? Can anyone help me with this. Thank you in advance.
cnote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
That is done by the ereader software, not by the book itself. The book could not know how a line is going to be displayed, as the font size can change.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
As Susan says, if a paragraph appears justified without any extraneous spacing between words, it's because that paragraph just worked out that way (for that screen size and font-size and margin settings). Luck of the draw basically.

EDIT: Actually, on reading your post again. I'm almost certain the "flush left a line in the middle of a justified paragraph to prevent large spaces" that you mentioned is just the technique the Kindle Reader uses in place of hyphenation. It's some sort of algorithm the reader uses that determines when too much spacing would be required to justify and so leaves that line "ragged" instead. It's still not something you can control (as a book creator) at all.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-13-2013 at 07:14 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
cnote
cnote began at the beginning.

Device: ibook
Hello. I am grateful for your answers, but am confused. Why then does my Kindle display some books with the creative justification and some without it? The specific issue is that some books allow an extreme amount of space between two words when justifying, sometimes as much as 1.5 inches. On the other hand, some books seem to know this is unacceptable, and make that particular line flush left so the extra space appears at the end of the line, rather than in between the words. It seems like it would have to be a deliberate setting. No? Am I just wishing too hard?
cnote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote View Post
The specific issue is that some books allow an extreme amount of space between two words when justifying, sometimes as much as 1.5 inches.
I would say white-space of 1.5 inches between words is a result of the book creator using non-breaking spaces improperly. I see "rivers of white" somewhere in almost all Kindle books, but I've never encountered that kind of spacing due to the justification algorithm alone in Kindle books.

Quote:
On the other hand, some books seem to know this is unacceptable, and make that particular line flush left so the extra space appears at the end of the line,
As mentioned before: there is just no way for a book to even begin to know what might constitute "a line" due to varying screen sizes, font sizes and margin settings (unless you want to create a fixed-layout ebook).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-13-2013 at 07:25 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote View Post
Hello. I am grateful for your answers, but am confused. Why then does my Kindle display some books with the creative justification and some without it?
Because the Kindle does this for Mobi books, but not KF8 books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote