Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
M92: Browsing the Internet, Wiki + Google

Thanks to suggestions from MatthiasR. on another thread I was able to find out (after many trials and errors) how to utilize the M92 for browsing the Internet in general and search in the Wilki and Google. Some of these operations take from a few seconds up to nearly 2 minutes, and it varies every time.

Internet Browsing in general:

Home > Web Sites > Wiki > www icon (bottom right) > keyboard icon* > type in website address (for example google.com) > OK.

(*To get the keyboard to appear keep tapping the keyboard icon once every 5 seconds or so. Patience. Usually it appears quite fast, often even right away.)

To bookmark the website page:

Once on-line > hit the small menu icon on the left bottom > Tools > + Add Bookmark.
To find it back and use it:
Once on-line > hit the icon left bottom > Tools > Show Bookmarks > hit the URL.

To search in Google:

Once on the Google page > hit the grayed out "Search" in the search bar > keyboard icon > (type in search word) > hit link of choice >

Searching in the Wiki works the same way as searching in Google:

Once on the Wiki page > hit the keyboard icon every 5 seconds > type in search word >

PS:
Question: How do I type spaces between words and sentences?

Last edited by Lode; 01-28-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
MatthiasR.
M92 user
MatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode View Post
Question: How do I type spaces between words and sentences?
Hi Lode,

On the virtual keyboard is a button for space. But it shows only (white-)space! Genious, isn't it?!
You find it between the comma and the backspace.

Considering the Browser I'have another question: Has anybody found out how to add bookmarks to the browser menu (i mean the menu with the onyx and wiki links). Would be just a nice to have to directly jump to a page instead of going to wikipedia to open an already defined bookmark.
MatthiasR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthiasR. View Post
Hi Lode,

On the virtual keyboard is a button for space. But it shows only (white-)space! Genious, isn't it?!

Considering the Browser I'have another question: Has anybody found out how to add bookmarks to the browser menu (i mean the menu with the onyx and wiki links). Would be just a nice to have to directly jump to a page instead of going to wikipedia to open an already defined bookmark.
Hi,
in the new firmware (1.7 betta) the space bar is already good visible and "add bookmark" in browser adds a new start page in the menu with the onyx and wiki.

I hope after Chinese New Year holidays (in the course of the 1-2 weeks) we will get the final 1.7 version with some nice new functionality..
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthiasR. View Post
Hi Lode,

Thank you.
An interesting thing happened: I wanted to see if one could post here using the M92. After some difficulties I finally was typing out a some text here on my M92. Then I saw the blank space to be used as a space bar, and typed that it was between the comma and the arrow. But just as I was about to hit "Save" on the M92 to post it here, its screen froze. The battery icon showed empty... so I got the box, ripped the charger out of the still unopened plastic bag, plugged it in, but then saw that I had to refresh to start all over again. That's when I saw on my M92 that you had posted the above.

I could not get a new Quick Reply in to you here using the M92, for reasons explained in a new thread: "M92 Browser Experiment": https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...79#post1942479

Last edited by Lode; 01-27-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Lode
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,
in the new firmware (1.7 betta) the space bar is already good visible and "add bookmark" in browser adds a new start page in the menu with the onyx and wiki.

I hope after Chinese New Year holidays (in the course of the 1-2 weeks) we will get the final 1.7 version with some nice new functionality..
That's great, Booxtor. For now I'm fine with the M92 out of the box. But when the final 1.7 firmware comes out I'll install it.

One more thing: I understand that one can scribble in PDFs, but not in WordPad. I'm using the free version of Jarte, which is WordPad with spell checker, word count, etc., but the documents made with it are saved as WordPad. Yet I also have Infix PDF Editor Pro, so I can convert the WordPad documents into PDFs if I would have to.
So will that be necessary if one wants to scribble annotations and corrections in a document?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
kevin.pugh
kevin.pugh began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
Is there a address box in the web browser?

Hi folks,
kevin.pugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.pugh View Post
Hi folks,
Do you mean address bar? Just click on the earth icon in the status bar (bottom) and you will be able to put a web address.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:40 AM   #8
kevin.pugh
kevin.pugh began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Do you mean address bar? Just click on the earth icon in the status bar (bottom) and you will be able to put a web address.
Okay thanks .. . I will check that once my M92 is returned - for some reason the screen ended up pulsing on and off and "hanging" every time I reset the machine and switch back on. Nor could I get the boot loader to work to reload 1.6 or 1.7.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Kevin
kevin.pugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 AM   #9
Lode
Zealot

I'm still using my M92 with the original firmware it came with when I bought it just after the device came out. I suppose some things have changed since then, although I wouldn't know which things.

It has worked fine, although I've only used it for reading, not for scribbling in texts -still haven't found out how to do that- and many of my books ended up in different places like "Downloads", "My Books" and just on the "Internal Storage" page. I wouldn't mind having them all on one page or on one list. Now I often have to look for them in different places.

Many books I see only the name of the author of instead of the title. I would prefer to see the titles of the books. Especially since I sometimes don't remember what book the name of an author is referring to.

I still think this Onyx M92 is the best looking e-reader I've seen, all white with just a thin silver line as encasing, and just a few minimal white buttons. It looks great. And I love the big 9.7" screen with excellent sharp definition/contrast easy readable texts.

Last edited by Lode; 08-24-2012 at 02:21 AM.