Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
jayz
jayz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire,android
Available only on these devices? Anyone know why or how? Mobi file

I just uploaded a fixed layout children's book onto the KDP. The Available only on these devices option, only show Kindle Fire, Kindle Cloud and Kindle for Android. It does not show Kindle for iPad. No one seems to know why and KDP is not giving out answers. In the book example here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00758BC7K
This book clearly has all of them but more interestingly the Kindle for iPad feature. What did the book publishers do to the opf, html or css to have this option show up (iPad). It has been suggested that the meta name tags could make a difference if reordered but comes with uncertainty. I was also thinking if the namespace or media queries had anything to do with this feature.
Does anyone have any answers or ideas to the, Available only on these devices option? This is for fixed layout children's books, Kindlegen.

Thank you
jayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
It's my understanding that if it's on the Kindle Cloud, you can access from any of your devices which have a Kindle app. From your account at Amazon, Manage my Kindle... find the book and make sure that it's delivered to your Cloud, not your Kindle. This works for documents too (or in my case ebooks for my clients before I send them out). You Kindle app for your iPad has a book tab plus a doc tab.

I have no problem reaching the things on my Cloud from Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone, Kindle for PC.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
jayz

I don't have an iPad to compare the downloading process. But it still doesn't change the fact that the book file itself still doesn't list the iPad in the "Available only on these devices " feature. But thanks anyway cor the Cloud recommendation.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
Does it have any flash content? Adobe flash isn't natively supported on Apple iOS.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind View Post
It's my understanding that if it's on the Kindle Cloud, you can access from any of your devices which have a Kindle app. From your account at Amazon, Manage my Kindle... find the book and make sure that it's delivered to your Cloud, not your Kindle. This works for documents too (or in my case ebooks for my clients before I send them out). You Kindle app for your iPad has a book tab plus a doc tab.

I have no problem reaching the things on my Cloud from Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone, Kindle for PC.
I don't have any "deliver to Cloud" options. Is this some US-only thing?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
jayz

KindleChickie
No Flash.

HarryT
I don't know if it's a US thing. It should say Amazon Cloud.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, no mention of it for me.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
Amazon.com/my account/manage my Kindle/... pick a title... Actions/deliver to my/'your name' Kindle Cloud Reader

Then it's available to any device... Kindle or any device with a Kindle app... and my iPhone and iPad have Kindle apps.

It may be a US thing... the Cloud.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind View Post
Amazon.com/my account/manage my Kindle/... pick a title... Actions/deliver to my/'your name' Kindle Cloud Reader

Then it's available to any device... Kindle or any device with a Kindle app... and my iPhone and iPad have Kindle apps.

It may be a US thing... the Cloud.
Seems to be. The only delivery options I get are for Kindle devices and apps. No cloud .
Old 06-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Seems to be. The only delivery options I get are for Kindle devices and apps. No cloud .
The only "cloud" delivery option I have is for the Kindle Cloud Reader. The KCR works from a web browser. Do you have that in the UK?
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
The only "cloud" delivery option I have is for the Kindle Cloud Reader. The KCR works from a web browser. Do you have that in the UK?
No, it seems not.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it seems not.
The KCR has a direct link to the Kindle bookstore on the top right corner. This acts as a workaround for the Apple ban on bookstore links within apps. It's a bit more primitive than the regular app but it allows book downloads for offline reading, all within the web browser. They've improved it to allow highlighting and note-taking.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kdp, kindle for ipad, kindlegen, mobi