Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #13171
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Started C. J. Cherryh's Betrayer (#12 in the Foreigner series) and realized it had been too long since I read #11 (Deceiver) so I decided to drop back and re-read that, since it's available at a reasonable price ($7.99).

For those who don't know the series, it's an alien/human interaction on a distant and isolated planet. Very well done, and highly recommended. Unfortunately, some of the early books are not available in eBook formats, however.
Well, no wonder I couldn't remember where things were -- apparently, I'd missed #11 entirely! Well, good, I have two Foreigner books to read then, and that's definitely a good thing. I'm about 1/3rd of the way through Deceiver, and really enjoying it. This is Cherryh at her best.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #13172
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
...My wife and I have decided to read Frankenstein together in preparation to go see the Danny Boyle adaptation....
That looks really fascinating. A monster who quotes Milton. Less like Karloff and more like Mary Shelly's book. It's going to be a very limited engagement, I'm sure. I hope it plays here.

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #13173
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Thanks for the video clip. We are big fans of Benedict Cumberbatch in this family, since his Sherlock Holmes TV series, and didn't realise he was in Frankenstein.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #13174
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I am currently reading a nonfiction, Unnatural Selection: Choosing Boys Over Girls, and the Consequences of a World Full of Men by Mara Hvistendahl. I am reading it on the library's Overdrive app. It is quite the eye-opener.

The last book I finished was The Not Yet by Moira Crone. I am from New Orleans and I have always been into Dystopia, so this was pretty much up my alley. It didn't quite meet my high expectations but I did enjoy it and do reccomend it. It is, sadly, not available as an eBook, so you'd have to read it as a physical book.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #13175
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, no wonder I couldn't remember where things were -- apparently, I'd missed #11 entirely! Well, good, I have two Foreigner books to read then, and that's definitely a good thing. I'm about 1/3rd of the way through Deceiver, and really enjoying it. This is Cherryh at her best.
I have no idea where I am in that series either. I think I've read up to and including #10.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #13176
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
...Frankenstein ... the Danny Boyle adaptation....
For those of us in the U.S., it will be a very limited engagement indeed—two days, June 6 & 7. A list of the theaters showing the play can be found here.

Thanks for turning me on to that, tecweston!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #13177
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Thanks for the video clip. We are big fans of Benedict Cumberbatch in this family, since his Sherlock Holmes TV series, and didn't realise he was in Frankenstein.
Is that the series in which Holmes abandons his magnifying glass for a laptop? I saw that for the first time last week and it was excellent!

But back to the books: I just started a re-read of Jefferson's The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth (English only).
Old 05-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #13178
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
The cool thing about the Danny Boyle Frankenstein is that there are two filmed versions, and you get to decide which version you want to see. The stars are Benedict Cumberbatch (BBC's Sherlock Holmes) and Johnny Lee Miller (who Dexter fans will remember as Jordan Chase from a couple seasons ago, and who stars as Sherlock Holmes in the new Elementary American series). Two Sherlock Holmeses for the price of one!

They both play the Doctor and the Monster, but trade off roles in the two different versions.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #13179
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Is that the series in which Holmes abandons his magnifying glass for a laptop? I saw that for the first time last week and it was excellent!
Yes! With text and emails thrown randomly up on screen from time-to-time. Sherlock brought up to date. Both series have been excellent, and we await with bated breath the third.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #13180
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I"m 2/3 through Mohawk, by Richard Russo, one of my favorite literary writers.

NEWS FLASH: (I accidentally wrote "news flesh," - hahahaha):

John Irving has a new book out and that will be my next read. The title is In One Person.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #13181
theapatra
author of Water Witch
theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm reading Daniel Arenson right now: Gods of Dream. It's YA, but a pleasant story so far. He has a unique idea in this fantasy novel about dreams being a whole different populated world
theapatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #13182
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I"m 2/3 through Mohawk, by Richard Russo, one of my favorite literary writers.

NEWS FLASH: (I accidentally wrote "news flesh," - hahahaha):

John Irving has a new book out and that will be my next read. The title is In One Person.

Don
Do you have a recommendation of a book to start with? I've had him on my list of authors I haven't read anything by that I need to. If it hadn't been for the book club here I probably would have read something by him by now for my challenges this year.

In other news, I just finished How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe. It may not be science fiction, but it was geeky and entertaining and had enough human condition and social consciousness to hit everything I might look for in a book. A great read.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #13183
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
D.C. Fontana and Suzanne Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished reading Nancy Fulda's two short stories and found them very enjoyble. Now I'm starting to read Dorothy Fontana's The Questor Tapes, a novelization of a Gene Rodenberry/Gene Coon screenplay.
I rustled up the TV movie of The Questor Tapes on Youtube and watched it first (after I'd read chapter 1), then finished the book (an old paperback from a used book bazaar quite a few years ago). It was a fun read and improved on the TV movie in quite a few instances and in different ways. Even though I had just watched Robert Foxworth play Questor the android I kept picturing Brent Spiner's Data instead, as I read the book. This book was the prototype of Data.

Now I' finally starting to read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (before the movie gets released on DVD).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Questor%203.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	86336   Click image for larger version

Name:	250px-DataTNG.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	86337  

Last edited by alansplace; 05-12-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: fix link
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #13184
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Do you have a recommendation of a book to start with? I've had him on my list of authors I haven't read anything by that I need to. If it hadn't been for the book club here I probably would have read something by him by now for my challenges this year.

In other news, I just finished How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe. It may not be science fiction, but it was geeky and entertaining and had enough human condition and social consciousness to hit everything I might look for in a book. A great read.

"A Prayer for Owen Meany" is an excellent book, as is the famous "The World According to Garp."

Irving doesn't really write 'small' books (except mostly for his earliest writings, which don't have that Dickensian depth that I so much enjoy).

Also, if you are an older person who lived through those times novelized in "Garp," then you may find that it resonates with your own life in certain areas.

Perhaps some other fans of Irving can also share opinions about which title(s) to recommend for a first-time read.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #13185
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Perhaps some other fans of Irving can also share opinions about which title(s) to recommend for a first-time read.
A Prayer for Owen Meany is a good choice. My favourite is The Cider House Rules and it's the one I recommend to people because the humour makes it a bit more accessible, although the orphan/abortion theme might offend some.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote