Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Could use web browser for Newspapers and RSS

After going through the manual, I've found that it has basic web browsing. It also has its own RSS for a fee (although in reality you are paying for the cell data network).

However, couldn't you just find an RSS aggregator on the net and point the browser to it?....instead of paying the small fee.

Also, for the wall street journal and new york time....couldn't you just surf the online webpage instead of getting it delivered electornically for $10? $10 is ridiculous even if the cell data netork is free.....considering most people already subscribe via online or via daily paper. I'd say if u already have the online WSJ....then $5 is the most I'd pay per month.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

also, I should add that you can upload documents directly to the Kindle from your computer....thus someone could come up with an RSS aggregator that converts it to text....then upload it to the kindle. send a file from your computer is free...emailing it to the kindle costs 10 cents.

but....then again...couldn't u just surf the damn webpage? instead of going through the hassle.

need the new york times....just go to the damn webpage...no monthly subscription or rss or special hack program necesary.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
also, I should add that you can upload documents directly to the Kindle from your computer....thus someone could come up with an RSS aggregator that converts it to text....then upload it to the kindle. ut....then again...couldn't u just surf the damn webpage? instead of going through the hassle.

need the new york time....just go to the damn webpage...no monthly subscription of rss or special hack program necesary.
MobiReader on the PC can do this for free. Of course you can browse the net but you would need a net aggrigator which exists. However, in the long run I suspect web browsing will not be free.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
also, I should add that you can upload documents directly to the Kindle from your computer....thus someone could come up with an RSS aggregator that converts it to text....then upload it to the kindle. send a file from your computer is free...emailing it to the kindle costs 10 cents.

but....then again...couldn't u just surf the damn webpage? instead of going through the hassle.

need the new york times....just go to the damn webpage...no monthly subscription or rss or special hack program necesary.
I think the idea of having feeds on your Kindle is so you can read them when you're not at a computer.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
markbot
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
MobiReader on the PC can do this for free. Of course you can browse the net but you would need a net aggrigator which exists. However, in the long run I suspect web browsing will not be free.

Dale
Good point...i'm suspicious of this free web browser...it must be slow i'm guessing. the only thing is that i have a webbrowser on my blackberry already....so don't really need this device to browse on the go.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Youshould also be able to do Google notebook on the Kindle.

www.google/m/notebook
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
One of the questions we'll have to find out about the for-pay RSS feeds is how "push" they are. If the device is downloading stuff in the background and getting new stories within 10-30 minutes of their posting then that would be pretty impressive and maybe worth a buck or two per month at least for some.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote