Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
What an idiot - I just bought a book without an ePub file!

I can't believe I have done this...
I just purchased a book from Kobobooks.com and it doesn't have an ePub file so I can't read it on my Kobo.
There was a thread a few weeks ago about this so I KNEW to check that there was an ePub file first but I was so excited to see a book I wanted at a cheap price that I grabbed it before it disappeared.
Now I know why it was so cheap... I can't actually read it on my Kobo.

So it is available as mobile or web. Is there anyway I can convert these to a PDF or ePub because I hate reading on my computer screen and I don't have a smart phone. It will have DRM issues so I don't know if Calibre will help. But I don't even know if I can get it into Calibre? Suggestions anyone?
I have sent a message to Kobo but I know from experience that I get faster and better answers here.

Just a reminder if you want to read a book on your Kobo remember to check that it is available in ePub BEFORE you buy it.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
If you contact Kobo customer service right away, they will probably let you return the book and give you credit. I had the same problem and they were very nice.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks I did send an email to Kobo (before I posted here) but I haven't heard back yet. They ususally take a while....
My problem is that I still want to read this book. I almost bought a paperback the other day as I hadn't seen it as an ebook before. Probably because I usually remember to only look at books available as ePubs.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
There should be a search option as there are with library sites or most bookstores to search by format.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Well you could remove DRM and convert via Calibre.

Otherwise, contacting customer support at Kobo to explain the situation may well resolve the issue.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
So it is available as mobile or web. Is there anyway I can convert these to a PDF or ePub because I hate reading on my computer screen and I don't have a smart phone. It will have DRM issues so I don't know if Calibre will help. But I don't even know if I can get it into Calibre? Suggestions anyone?
I have sent a message to Kobo but I know from experience that I get faster and better answers here.
Wont the Kobo-Desktop software sync the book with the reader? I noticed some of the free classics are not epub downloadable, only web.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
HarleyB
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
There should be a search option as there are with library sites or most bookstores to search by format.
Yes there is a search function that will only display ePubs which I often use. But this time I forgot/didn't think/was so excited about finding a cheap book that I had been looking for for ages that I didn't notice there was no ePub file until after I had purchased it.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
HarleyB
Fanatic

How do I get the web or mobile format into Calibre? I have only ever used PDF and ePub with Calibre and ADE.
I don't have the Kobo-Desktop software as I bought my Kobo from Borders and so I have the Borders software which I don't use as I prefer ADE. I believe the Kobo-Desktop software is similar.
I could download the Kobo-Desktop application but would this file be there if it is not an ePub?
Old 08-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre will directly read HTML format files.

What is the extension of the web format?
Old 08-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
Yes, Kobo does have a way to filter for books with an ePub version after the search.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Every book purchased on kobobooks.com can be read on the kobo. The three formats available are:

WEB: Read online on kobobooks.com
MOBILE: Kobo's proprietary internal format (stored in the built-in sqlite database)
EPUB: For other eReaders like Sony and Nook via Adobe Digital Editions (yes the kobo supports this too)

You simply need to update the library on your kobo desktop app and then sync the kobo. Your purchase will be there.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
sabredog

Excellent!

Thanks for the clarification
Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #13
HarleyB
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Every book purchased on kobobooks.com can be read on the kobo. The three formats available are:

WEB: Read online on kobobooks.com
MOBILE: Kobo's proprietary internal format (stored in the built-in sqlite database)
EPUB: For other eReaders like Sony and Nook via Adobe Digital Editions (yes the kobo supports this too)

You simply need to update the library on your kobo desktop app and then sync the kobo. Your purchase will be there.
At the moment I don't have the kobo desktop app - I have the Borders desktop app. I have looked at the Kobo website until my eyes hurt and I can't find it to download. Have found apps for mobiles etc and the confident message that it will be on my Kobo reader but of course it isn't.
The Borders app doesn't know anything about books from kobobooks.com

I know there was a link somewhere in these forums to get the kobo desktop app but I just can't find it. Does anyone have the link?
Also if I am successful in downloading the kobo app will it peacefully coexist on my computer with the Borders app?

Last edited by HarleyB; 08-08-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #14
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
At the moment I don't have the kobo desktop app - I have the Borders desktop app. I have looked at the Kobo website until my eyes hurt and I can't find it to download. Have found apps for mobiles etc and the confident message that it will be on my Kobo reader but of course it isn't.
The Borders app doesn't know anything about books from kobobooks.com

I know there was a link somewhere in these forums to get the kobo desktop app but I just can't find it. Does anyone have the link?
Also if I am successful in downloading the kobo app will it peacefully coexist on my computer with the Borders app?
Ah! Now this thread makes sense.

You can get the native kobo app from:
http://download.kobobooks.com/desktop/0/KoboSetup.exe (Windows)
http://download.kobobooks.com/desktop/0/KoboSetup.dmg (Mac)

Unfortunately, it does NOT peacefully coexist with the Borders app. One will overwrite the others sync to the kobo.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #15
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
If you go to the Kobo website and look in your library, does it have a choice to download epub? If so, you can download it to your computer. I don't have a Kobo reader, but I assume there is a way to drag and drop the file into it with usb. That's how I put Kobo books on my nook and EZReader.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote