Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-07-2021, 01:04 PM   #31
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

How would the screen saver know you cannot find the Kindle in order to display such a message? And I at least would not want that to be the default screen saver. Kindle’s are not always connected devices so there’s generally not going to be a way to push a message to them when they’re lost where you can usually do that with a smartphone.

What might work is to have some option when you have set a passcode to have a message of your choice when the passcode entry form is up ‘if found contact xxxx’.

There is a Personal Info thing you can type in, but I don’t know where that would show up or why it is there. You could put contact information there, but nobody is going to find it.
Before the current book cover screen saver feature was implemented, I used the screen saver hack to display custom screens savers that had my contact info along the top or bottom. As I always use a passcode, that would be the only place someone would be able to see my contact information. If Amazon can display an add banner on the screen, there is no reason why they can't display device owner information in a similar way.

As far as the Home Screen, yes you can turn it off, but it would be better if it could be customized. Instead of all the add junk for books I have no interest in, or have already read, it could show more recently opened books (I think the Kids edition does this) or the "reading" and "to read" lists from Goodreads. (I am usually reading 4-6 books at the same time.) There are other options.

I love kindle... for reading. Dealing with library maintenance, finding partially completed books, reading statistics (or lack of them) is not user friendly. You pay to remove adds, but the Home Screen is still full of recommendations, etc.

Numerous people complain about these issues all of the time, and Amazon does almost nothing to address them. Yes, the device is excellent at its primary function, but Amazon can still lose this game if a competitor releases a truly innovative product that is more appealing to customers.
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:35 AM   #32
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I would love to see any app including the content and devices allow sorting within the collections. As it stands once a book is in a collection you cannot sort it within the collection. Also, Amazon changed the way their books are displayed in C&D now there are only 20 shown at a time and the full cover is shown. Now I am unable to scrape the internal html and parse it so that I can create an excel spreadsheet of my books to enter into my Calibre library. Also, if you have more than 100 books going through them 20 at a time is exhausting. Especially if I am unable to sort the collections. Also, why on Earth are the collections so dang hard to check off on the Website? When you go to add a book to a collection you get a box that shows the collections in recent view and unless you know the name exactly you cannot find it unless you manually scroll through them all - again they are listed in recent view without allowing you to sort them into title. So.. the only device I have out of my Kindle Paperwhite, my ipod, my Windows 10 and my Samsung Tablet that has the best app is the ipod, which sucks because it's an ipod and really small, but you still cannot sort within collections. Also, the collections are all in grid view (I think). I still haven't figured out how to import a collection into my Kindle for PC (but since i still use the old version because of Calibre, I don't expect much). The paperwhite is pretty good about being able to sort and set up collecitons, but I want to see my covers in color and in a bigger size. So, Amazon is really lacking in this department.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:07 AM   #33
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I would love to see any app including the content and devices allow sorting within the collections. As it stands once a book is in a collection you cannot sort it within the collection. Also, Amazon changed the way their books are displayed in C&D now there are only 20 shown at a time and the full cover is shown. Now I am unable to scrape the internal html and parse it so that I can create an excel spreadsheet of my books to enter into my Calibre library. Also, if you have more than 100 books going through them 20 at a time is exhausting. Especially if I am unable to sort the collections. Also, why on Earth are the collections so dang hard to check off on the Website? When you go to add a book to a collection you get a box that shows the collections in recent view and unless you know the name exactly you cannot find it unless you manually scroll through them all - again they are listed in recent view without allowing you to sort them into title. So.. the only device I have out of my Kindle Paperwhite, my ipod, my Windows 10 and my Samsung Tablet that has the best app is the ipod, which sucks because it's an ipod and really small, but you still cannot sort within collections. Also, the collections are all in grid view (I think). I still haven't figured out how to import a collection into my Kindle for PC (but since i still use the old version because of Calibre, I don't expect much). The paperwhite is pretty good about being able to sort and set up collecitons, but I want to see my covers in color and in a bigger size. So, Amazon is really lacking in this department.
I just checked with my devices, and the only place that I can't sort within a collection is on the Content and Devices page on Amazon's website. Well, technically I can't do it on my Fire either, but I can't even view collections on that.

I'm able to sort within collections on my Oasis 3 and my Voyage, my iPad, and my Android phone. Unfortunately my daughter has my Paperwhite right now, so I can't test on that, but since the Voyage is older, I'm pretty confident that the sorting works on that, as well.

If it's only the Content and Devices page that you're complaining about, then that may be out of spec for this discussion. I was under the impression that we were talking about devices.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #34
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Oh, how I'd love to be able to edit metadata. I'd love to be able to fix the odd book that has the author name reversed or a title that still sorts with "The" or "A". And some self-published books have all sorts of metadata tacked on to the end of the title which is, in a word, a mess. Yes, some of that can be done in Calibre (if the book has no DRM or you're willing to go through lots of steps), but I'd so love to be able to simply tap an icon and then type in the name that I'd like a book to sort under.

Hey, it never hurts to dream, right?
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:41 AM   #35
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
On my Kindles (not in Kindle apps) maybe one book of 30 shows no Author, and you cannot find it by searching for author’s name, and of course it doesn’t show up in the right place when sorting by author. Remove it from device, the author name shows and the other things work as well. Re-download, it’s gone again. How is it even possible to write code that does this?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:50 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
You are correct re KAO, but why not for KV also? I am currently using Intocable, which works, but it should be part of the system.
It's not a KAO. There is no A. It's a Kindle Oasis so that would abbreviate to KO or KO1 or whatever the version is. But there is no A so it's not KAO. That's just really wrong.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:54 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now is the time to go Kobo. From he thread on the new Kindle firmware (5.13.7), the new GUI is a real mess.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=341258
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:32 PM   #38
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now is the time to go Kobo. From he thread on the new Kindle firmware (5.13.7), the new GUI is a real mess.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=341258
Yeah. Well, I'm still waiting for the new Forma... Doesn't look like it's coming this year.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:43 PM   #39
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not a KAO. There is no A. It's a Kindle Oasis so that would abbreviate to KO or KO1 or whatever the version is. But there is no A so it's not KAO. That's just really wrong.

Whatever.

I’m dyslexic, so it was supposed to be KOA, as per the message I was responding to. It was a simple typo. Get off of your friggin’ high horse.

Interestingly, it looks like the new firmware released this week may come close to fulfilling some of my wishes.

But I couldn’t care less about this topic anymore. I tried to provide some ideas for discussion. Instead, I was criticized and was pretty well dismissed. I’m sorry that I even bothered.
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:16 PM   #40
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
Instead, I was criticized and was pretty well dismissed. I’m sorry that I even bothered.
It is one click to Ignore (render invisible) posts by users that you find annoying. I have used this in the past but find them mostly ignorable without resort to that, just as I ignore advertisement banners.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wishlist