Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
How about a 'night mode' option E-Ink readers?

This is just a thought experiment sort of idea. But a 'night mode' might be result better performing readers? Better performing him that there would be less white that needs to be eliminated and the lighting that's there might be perceived, or actually, to be more even lit?

FYI, by night mode I refer to a screen with white text on a black background.

Anyway that's just something different different that came to my mind. It's certainly nothing I've come across on an e-reader before. I can see where it probably would not have been relevant in a unlighted reader but in a front–lighted reader, who knows, some people might find it easier on the eyes.

Last edited by rkw; 03-28-2013 at 08:52 AM.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Cybook odyssey have that
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Cybook odyssey have that
Oh that's cool. Have you tried it? Did you find it useful at all?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When using frontlight at night, yes.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
When using frontlight at night, yes.
Thanks for letting me know. I have to hunt one of those down and check it out. Great just what I need another e-reader.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
It's called an LCD screen..... lol

(edit - sorry - slightly off topic. I should have made this a new thread)
Honestly, I have 2 PWs and I just can't see the draw of an e-ink screen. Aside from the obvious drawbacks, slow page turns, no color, and limited functionality, the only benefits I can see is the longer battery life - and that IS awesome - and possibly a lower price point, if you believe that lower price for a limited device is a better value.

I know people have said that "it feels more natural and easier on my eyes", but I can't see (not intended) how that is any different than an LCD screen with appropriately colored text and the right - slightly textured - background. Even the argument that "e-ink doesn't blast my eyes with photons" is kinda crazy when you consider all the new devices that are self-lit (not to mention that ALL seeing is the result of photons hitting your eyes...)

So, I guess I'm asking: What is it that people see in e-ink that is such a benefit over a more functional device with a good reading app installed??

Here's the beginning of a list:
1) Much longer battery life
2) Lower cost (not necessarily better Value)

Last edited by Turtle91; 03-28-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
BWinmill
Nameless Being

There is less glare, which makes it much easier to read in different lighting conditions. It is also possible to read in bright environments.

On the lower cost but not necessarily better value comment: value is in the eye of the beholder. Why pay for features that you do not use? And why pay for features that will only distract you?

In reality, I have both an LCD tablet and eInk reader. The tablet tends to be used in the winter months, and the reader tends to be used during the other seasons.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
The Onyx Boox readers have the night mode too.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
There is less glare, which makes it much easier to read in different lighting conditions. It is also possible to read in bright environments.

On the lower cost but not necessarily better value comment: value is in the eye of the beholder. Why pay for features that you do not use? And why pay for features that will only distract you?

In reality, I have both an LCD tablet and eInk reader. The tablet tends to be used in the winter months, and the reader tends to be used during the other seasons.
Yeah that. To be honest, I carry my nexus 7 AND my cybook.
It's easier on my eyes for sure. And e-ink is a must have to read in summertime in the train. (lcd are close to unreadable then)
Old 03-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
So, I guess I'm asking: What is it that people see in e-ink that is such a benefit over a more functional device with a good reading app installed??
For me the benefits are:

1. Lower initial cost.
2. Much longer battery life. I can go 3 weeks without charging it. This is nice when I travel as I don't have to bring an extra cable.
3. Easier on my eyes. YMMV.
4. Less glare outside.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I can go 3 weeks without charging it. This is nice when I travel as I don't have to bring an extra cable.
And when you do need to carry the charger, it is a lot smaller. (I'm not sure if this is true in all cases, but the charger for my reader was about 1/3rd the size of the charger for my tablet.)

On top of that, readers are smaller and lighter than tablets in many cases. Screen size is one reason (6" seems common for eInk, while the comparable tablet is 7"), but I suspect that the structure of the LCD screen and size of the battery adds to the weight of tablets as well.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And "self-lit"for e-ink still means reflected light rather than transmissive which is what a lot of people have trouble with...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:

My KPW is much lighter than my iPad is - granted, I've got an iPad 1, which is heavier than the later models, but still the KPW is 2/3 the weight of an iPad 2, even with my KPW cover.

Also, I've been having fun playing with my iPad, and I do find that, after awhile, I get a headache from reading so much on it, and I don't get headaches reading on the KPW or my K3 or any other eink device. dunno if it's eye strain or what, but I can't see reading a book for hours on my iPad, and I regularly do on my Paperwhite with no problmes.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I really don't see the point of night mode on E-Ink.

I see its benefits with a backlit display, but take away the backlight and I don't see the need. Then again I've always found light on dark to be preferable, so this may be my own bias leaking through.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
It's called an LCD screen..... lol

(edit - sorry - slightly off topic. I should have made this a new thread)
Honestly, I have 2 PWs and I just can't see the draw of an e-ink screen. Aside from the obvious drawbacks, slow page turns, no color, and limited functionality, the only benefits I can see is the longer battery life - and that IS awesome - and possibly a lower price point, if you believe that lower price for a limited device is a better value.

I know people have said that "it feels more natural and easier on my eyes", but I can't see (not intended) how that is any different than an LCD screen with appropriately colored text and the right - slightly textured - background. Even the argument that "e-ink doesn't blast my eyes with photons" is kinda crazy when you consider all the new devices that are self-lit (not to mention that ALL seeing is the result of photons hitting your eyes...)

I am nearsighted and usually read with my glasses off, holding the book maybe 12-14 inches away from my face. Before buying an eink reader, I looked at the Nook tablet (last year's model) and felt like I could see every pixel. I don't have this problem with eink.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote