Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
ChrisF
Edge User

Bluetooth Stereo Headset

With the new update about to be released to us, which boasts blue tooth stereo headphone support, I thought I'd share this promotional I found today.

NewEgg has this on sale for 3 days, May 21-23 at over half off plus free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-75982151-LC8C

Old 05-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
NiaTrue
Edge User

Those are cool, but I prefer the Motorola S9. Lightweight, synchs with almost everything (even iPods), decent battery life, and if you can get past the Geordie LaForge similarity, looks pretty cool. The cons however, can be dealbreakers depending on how you use it. It's water-RESISTANT, not waterproof. So if you sweat profusely and wear it every day, as in while working out, after a few months to a year, the buttons will short out and stop working--until they dry out that is, when they'll instantaneously start working again all by themselves. Another con is the I-can't-hear-you microphone. That may just be a problem with my particular headset, but it's really annoying. Thankfully, my BlackBerry can be set to automatically route calls to the phone, even when I'm listening to music on the headset. When the call ends, it automatically switches back to the headset and your music.

Overall, I love my S9, since I rarely use my phone for phone conversations, and I've learned to live with the once-a-year short-outs. I just use a wired headest for a week until the S9 dries out.

Last edited by NiaTrue; 05-21-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
ChrisF
Edge User

Given an unlimited budget I'd prefer that S9 too, but for 1/5 of the cost I'll settle for the clunkiness. Thanks for sharing that option, I had a coworker asking about earbud bluetooth headsets today, I'll send her the S9's info as its the closest I've seen to what she was picturing.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
NiaTrue
Edge User

ChrisF, she may prefer the Jaybird, which is two and a half times as expensive as the Motorola S9.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
guyjack
Edge User

I have had a Motorola S9 and loved it...until my son took it apart to see how it worked. I now have a Samsung WEP870. I love it as much as the S9.

Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
borisb
Edge User

With the major May 24 update, I've verified my Motorola HT820 bluetooth headset works (for audio). It doesn't control the Music Player app, though (for pause/volume/etc.).

Old 05-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
NiaTrue
Edge User

My beloved Motorola S9 will pair but not connect. *sigh*...*sigh*... Guess I'll have to get another headset if I can't figure out how to make the S9 work.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
borisb
Edge User

Just a note: apparently this initial Bluetooth headset supports works just for audio and not for microphones.

This means if you have a microphone on your headset it may not work at all (i.e., no audio) if the headset's Bluetooth setup requires microphone support. Others, like my Motorola HT820 headset, will connect for either audio-plus-mic or just audio, so they'll work with the eDGe's current level of headset support.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
NiaTrue
Edge User

Wait. You mean that my otherwise perfect Motorola S9 won't pair with my eDGe because of its I-can't-hear-you microphone?#%*&?!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
borisb
Edge User

It's what that post was saying to my understanding. However, I checked and the Motorla S9 is advertised by Motorola as having the audio-only support. So, I would put in a tech support request to enTourage to investigate what's up with the S9. Could be just a minor quirk/incompatibility they can fix.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
NiaTrue
Edge User

Good idea. If I can't get it working tonight, I'll definitely put in an email to tech support.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #12
borisb
Edge User

Hehehehe - maybe suggest the devs get one or more of the headsets to try for themselves - they may appreciate the perk

Old 05-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
NiaTrue
Edge User

Good news: The Motorola S9 paired and works perfectly! I'm so lovin' this thing now!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
ChrisF
Edge User

I received my headphones finally. UPS was a couple days late on the delivery and extraordinarily rough with the package which meant that the nice plastic headband was shattered in 2 places. Newegg offered me a full refund, so I shopped around some more and settled on the Motorola S9. Thanks NiaTrue for the suggestion. The fit is very comfortable and the sound quality has been very nice so far.

The down side is the buttons do not work with the eDGe (expected) nor my phone (disappointed) and when paired with my phone and both devices are on the lowest volume it is still uncomfortably loud.

The plus side is it paired with the eDGe almost all by itself and immediately had sound routed to it and I was able to get the volume to a very comfortable level.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #15
Eddy R
Edge User

Purchased at 3pm -connected to phone and EE at 5PM. Headset button answers and disconnects phone.; microphone Works fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
Good news: The Motorola S9 paired and works perfectly! I'm so lovin' this thing now!
...Thank You ...all!