Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Utahcowboy
Connoisseur
Utahcowboy is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3
Smile A call for Mormon e-book readers

I just thought that I would like to find out if there are any other Mormons on this forum besides me. Particularly those who use the new e-ink devices. I use the cybook gen3. I thought that maybe we could exchange our experience in studying our scriptures with these devices. Maybe we could exchange e-mail addresses.
Utahcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time
conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis; PW1+3g; Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro; KF HDX 7;
Well, I've never used the new e-ink devices, but I love yanceyware for my pocket pc: http://www.yanceyware.com/index.htm. There's a tremendous amount of user created content available. I teach Gospel Doctrine in my ward, and I use my pocket pc to review my lesson while I ride the bus into work in the mornings.
conanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Utahcowboy
Connoisseur
Utahcowboy is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3
Unfortunately, I can't currently use any other software with my e-ink device except mobipocket, I would get a pocket pc or a palm but the print is just too small for me to read.

Do you use your pocket pc while teaching your class? and does it work well?

Until recently I taught elder's quorum and taught the 12 and 13 year old sunday school, but I didn't have my device then. I got mine so that I didn't need to lug around large print scriptures and manuals anymore when going to church, and I have to say that I like using my e-ink device a lot better
Utahcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time
conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis; PW1+3g; Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro; KF HDX 7;
I used it today, in fact - I tend to bookmark the relevant scriptures for the lesson on my pocket pc so I can flip back and forth, but I use a hard copy of my notes for use in actually directing the discussion. I also keep the lesson manual on my device for reference if I need it.
conanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
Hate to revive an old thread, but I've got quite a few ebooks that I'm currently using on my Pre. Just wondering if you all know of any location to get more LDS/Mormon ebook content?
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 01:29 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
"The 19th Wife" great read.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:44 AM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Well, as this is a mobipocket version, it will 'work' on the Cybook Gen3 http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...4&Origine=6676

I remember getting frustrated by the first version because it didn't go into as deep of Table of Content linking as *I* prefer. (My optimal ToC for the Scriptures would be similar to the online version at LDS.org, with major book/minor book/chapter breakdowns - perhaps even as a main ToC for the main book level (OT, NT, BoM, D&C, etc.), separate ToCs for the minor books within the first three (Genesis, Exodus, etc.) and chapter ToCs for each of those...)

I don't know if they've 'improved' to my tastes.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #8
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

I have a set of scriptures that I'm happy with, although I wonder if people have checked out the Church's official pdb version. Any other way to get LDS books?? BTW, here is the link for the pdb books: http://lds.org/handheldlibrary/0,6461,342-1,00.html
Old 02-10-2010, 06:09 AM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I would say the darknets has some works by John Osborn... and there is a huge collection of lds books in a bundle called "a morman intellectuals lds bookshelf".... I realize the dark side is not what you are looking for, but if there is no other place......

By the way, I am not Mormon, I just thought i try to help....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
The Quotable Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahcowboy View Post
Unfortunately, I can't currently use any other software with my e-ink device except mobipocket, I would get a pocket pc or a palm but the print is just too small for me to read.

Do you use your pocket pc while teaching your class? and does it work well?

Until recently I taught elder's quorum and taught the 12 and 13 year old sunday school, but I didn't have my device then. I got mine so that I didn't need to lug around large print scriptures and manuals anymore when going to church, and I have to say that I like using my e-ink device a lot better

The Quotable Atheist: Ammunition for Non-Believers, Political Junkies, Gadflies, and Those Generally Hell-Bound is very nicely formatted and well thought out book on spirituality that I got for my Kindle DX. I highly recommend it - a very good read!
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
The Quotable Atheist: Ammunition for Non-Believers, Political Junkies, Gadflies, and Those Generally Hell-Bound is very nicely formatted and well thought out book on spirituality that I got for my Kindle DX. I highly recommend it - a very good read!
Just curious. Are you trying to be funny, or are you a bigot?
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Just curious. Are you trying to be funny, or are you a bigot?
No I wasn't trying to be funny. It really is a very thought provoking book on religous thought. I do find it interesting that you immediately label me a when I have a slightly different view on things than you apparently. Technically I am an anti-theist since I personally don't wish you any ill will or intend to discriminate against you in any way. While your on the topic of bigotry what is the percentage of ethnic minorities in the mormon church compared to it's caucasion membership?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #13
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
No I wasn't trying to be funny. It really is a very thought provoking book on religous thought. I do find it interesting that you immediately label me a when I have a slightly different view on things than you apparently.
The label wasn't for having a different viewpoint; it was for recommending a book directly opposed to the purpose of the thread, with apparent attempt to declare that the books actually being sought are morally or philosophically wrong.

If someone asked for good romance ebooks, a recommendation for a neurobiology book that declares that emotions are meaningless chemical interactions would not go over well.

Quote:
Technically I am an anti-theist since I personally don't wish you any ill will or intend to discriminate against you in any way.
You jumped into a religious-books request with an off-topic recommendation for a book that's disrespectful or hateful towards religions. How is that "no ill will?"

Quote:
While your on the topic of bigotry what is the percentage of ethnic minorities in the mormon church compared to it's caucasion membership?
Are you saying that, if the Mormon church is racist, it's okay for you to be prejudiced against its members? That you're not a bigot if they're bigger bigots?

I have no love for the Mormon church--but I don't try to prevent its members from finding spiritual reading material. And I don't suggest that they should read something opposed to their religious beliefs.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The label wasn't for having a different viewpoint; it was for recommending a book directly opposed to the purpose of the thread, with apparent attempt to declare that the books actually being sought are morally or philosophically wrong.

If someone asked for good romance ebooks, a recommendation for a neurobiology book that declares that emotions are meaningless chemical interactions would not go over well.

You jumped into a religious-books request with an off-topic recommendation for a book that's disrespectful or hateful towards religions. How is that "no ill will?"

Are you saying that, if the Mormon church is racist, it's okay for you to be prejudiced against its members? That you're not a bigot if they're bigger bigots?

I have no love for the Mormon church--but I don't try to prevent its members from finding spiritual reading material. And I don't suggest that they should read something opposed to their religious beliefs.
My book suggestion was very much on topic as it discusses various viewpoints about religion. Having a different take on a subject does not infer hate and I certainly have none towards you or anyone from any religion. I will say that most religous people are highly intolerant of anyone not sharing their views. I believe Jesus taught compassion and understanding. Not dogma and intolerance
Old 02-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #15
primetime34
Zealot

Quote:
No I wasn't trying to be funny. It really is a very thought provoking book on religous thought. I do find it interesting that you immediately label me a when I have a slightly different view on things than you apparently. Technically I am an anti-theist since I personally don't wish you any ill will or intend to discriminate against you in any way. While your on the topic of bigotry what is the percentage of ethnic minorities in the mormon church compared to it's caucasion membership?
There are more members of the Mormon Church that are outside of the United States than in it. It's almost impossible to know the ethnic breakdown of the membership due to those numbers not being published or even compiled. However, there are very, very large Mormon congregations throughout Asia, Mexico, Central, and especially South America. Just thought you'd like to know.

Hoping we can get this thread back on topic though.