Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
sasq
sasq plays well with otherssasq plays well with otherssasq plays well with otherssasq plays well with otherssasq plays well with otherssasq plays well with otherssasq plays well with otherssasq plays well with otherssasq plays well with otherssasq plays well with otherssasq plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Kindle Watermarking format

So I just explored the watermark tag found in AZW files a bit, and this is what I found so far;

The tag has the format

atv:kin:1:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX=:YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYY=

where X and Y are base64 encoded numbers, the first 1024bit long and the second 160bit.

X has the following components

16 bytes Unknown
48 bytes Book ID (ie same for all copies of this book)
32 bytes User ID (ie same for all books downloaded to this user/device)
32 bytes Unknown

I have not compared different devices yet, that may change things.

Anyone found out anything else?

-- Sasq
sasq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
First 16 might be an MD5, I imagine the last block will be some sort of hash reference to download logs stored server side. Shouldn't be an actual device ID in there tho.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
FYI, I just noticed that on my Kindle Touch this watermark is stored in the SQLITE Collections Database at /var/local/cc.db in column p_watermark in table entries not just for DRMed books (p_isDRMProtected=1) but for one purchased book where I removed the DRM as well (p_isDRMProtected=0).

When I unpack said book with MobiUnpack the same watermark shows up in the BookName/mobi7/BookName.opf as
Code:
<meta name="Watermark" content="[...]" />
and is reported as an EXTH header when unpacking.

The cc.db also lists such a watermark for one mobi that I let Readability.com email to my Kindle. Strange ...
Dylan Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #4
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Just to add a little more information, maybe not new:
I downloaded the same book via K4PC and from Big A's website to sideload - I wanted to see if there were any differences. After DRM removal, the .awz3 files still had different hashes.
I used KindleUnpack and used a tool to diff the folders, all that was different were 2 lines in the content.opf in the OEBPS folder.

I see <meta property="dcterms:modified">2016-03-24T00:39:51Z</meta>
and then a 422 hex character long watermark.
<meta name="Watermark (hex)" content="XYZ" />

For me, the books share the same first 20 characters of the watermark.
Also, further in the watermark, there is a shared 169 characters.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote