Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Text justification on the Kobo Touch

The older Kobo Wi-Fi offered an option for setting text justification to either "Force left" or "Default" (respectively, turn off full justification, or use whatever the publisher has coded). Looking at the Kobo Touch user guide online, I see no such option there. How does the Kobo Touch handle text justification?

I very much prefer ragged-right margins, and that's one of the things I love about my Kobo Wi-Fi. I'm thinking about getting a Touch, but want to know that I can have that option there, too.

Many thanks!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Sooty
Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi Touch, iTouch, Kobo Vox
Looking at my Touch, it's justified left and ragged right so will be good for you.

All I can say is...get one
I love it and find that I'm using it even more than I did my Wi-Fi.
Sooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sooty; I think it depends on the book. On books in Kobo format there was an option under Display to "Force Left" or "Default". Can you check that?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
The older Kobo Wi-Fi offered an option for setting text justification to either "Force left" or "Default" (respectively, turn off full justification, or use whatever the publisher has coded). Looking at the Kobo Touch user guide online, I see no such option there. How does the Kobo Touch handle text justification?

I very much prefer ragged-right margins, and that's one of the things I love about my Kobo Wi-Fi. I'm thinking about getting a Touch, but want to know that I can have that option there, too.

Many thanks!
Alas, the Kobo Touch does not have a setting to set the text justification. To make matters worse, all of the books that I have looked at or read on my Kobo Touch are right justified. On a positive note, there has already been a firmware release since the new Kobo was released so there is hope that adding a setting for text justification could be included in a future release.

Regards,
Joe
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
Sooty
Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi Touch, iTouch, Kobo Vox
The books I have in Kobo format are left justified.

And yes, no format available in changing justification. Fingers crossed for next update.
Sooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
my kobobooks are justified right and right when they come. Some sideloaded epubs are ragged right. I think Kobo is introducing the option to do some of these things on your own however you like in a future update. (btw Calculating God is awesome and I like the rest of your books too)
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
I assume it is justification from book css file. Should be trivial
to change it by the hand, if matters.
I always "sideload" files, so they might differ from ones origi-
nal poster has in his library. I do all the tagging and have css
to my liking. Spite left and right justification looks professional,
just left is more readable, at least to me.
If Kobo decides to add option to format file, it is just "default"
that overwhelms book css. Some books are not standard and
eventual problem could be seen.
Best regards all.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
We've go margin and line height options coming. I would not be surprised to see text justification in there as well, but we may not know until it gets here
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
calibre can reset the publishers' margins and justification.

Last edited by EldRick; 06-20-2011 at 01:02 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
Joe563
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

There appears to be an inconsistency in the way Kobo handles text justification. On several books that I have looked at, the text is all left-aligned in the desktop application and in my Android smartphone application whereas they are all fully justified on my Kobo Touch.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
One of the great competitive advantages of the Kobo WiFi over the Kindle was the ability to turn off full justification, if the user wanted that. I'm really sorry to see that has been lost in the new implementation, apparently.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
calibre can reset the publishers' margins and justification.
Not reallyy... Only in non DRM'ed ePubs and NOT in kobo format books.

Besides the issue is people should not have to rely on all these tools just to read.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
Joe563

Quote:
One of the great competitive advantages of the Kobo WiFi over the Kindle was the ability to turn off full justification, if the user wanted that. I'm really sorry to see that has been lost in the new implementation, apparently.
The ability to force left justifcation was also a feature of the Kobo Original e-reader so hopefully Kobo will recognize their error and implement this feature on the Kobo Touch. Kobo forum members are you reading this?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I prefer full justify; but I'd also like rudimentary controls over justification and line spacing, the same way we can fiddle a bit with font family and point size. And, apparently, more control is coming (at least for kepubs).

As taming noted, patience, grasshopper.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote