Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
Andrew Kaufman
Author/Suspense Thrillers
Andrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
What is it with people and their paper books?

For me, getting my Kindle was sort of a no-brainer. Having all my books in one convenient, compact place? Check. Ordering books and then having them within minutes, often at cheaper price (well, it used to be that way)? Check. The list goes on and on. And while more and more people are converting and joining the club, it seems there are still plenty who are holding out and claiming they never will.

Which got me wondering: Why is it, do you suppose, that people refuse to go with e-readers? Is it an emotional thing? An unwillingness to adapt to technological advances? What is it? I've tried to figure this out, but every time I think I have, I really haven't. Can anyone offer some insight?

Andrew E. Kaufman/author
Andrew Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The cost of the devices is pretty high for casual readers.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I've found several reasons. Obviously eReaders are only useful to people who read a lot. If I read only one book a year, or less, I would find the price ridiculous too. eReaders are for those of us who read lots, which probably explains why Amazon is selling more Kindle books than pBooks.

There are those who read lots and get their books from the library. They also think the Kindle is too expensive.

There are those with some sort of nostalgia for reading and can't transfer that feeling to an electronic device. These folks seem to dislike modernity generally.

Then, there are the rest of us.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I heard it again today, I was showing my K1 to a pharmacist while I was waiting, and he thought it was an awesome device. He was wondering if schools and universities might move to something like it. An old man waiting with his wife popped up with the usual "I hope not. I like real books." His wife was interested in the Kindle too, especially after I showed her how to increase the font sizes.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
I think there's a very logical reason for keeping print books around. If you're stranded in the desert, it'll be much easier to burn the paperback than the kindle, which is ironic...because of it's name.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
I think there's a very logical reason for keeping print books around. If you're stranded in the desert, it'll be much easier to burn the paperback than the kindle, which is ironic...because of it's name.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
Honestly the ONLY reason I went to a ereader was simply because my husband said I couldn't buy anymore till we got more book shelfs... I thought the best way to prevent a "book overload" again was to invest in a ebook reader
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
One answer could be “Luddites” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite).
You get them everywhere… as one gets “blinded by the light” tech pro people, there are also the opposite ones…

Anyway… no problem here… everyday use will be (it’s already being) the final equalizer…
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I think there is also the mindset people are still trying to get over in the concept of buying digital media. iTunes IMHO started it off with buying mp3s and download to your computer/ipod and not actually purchase the physical media. ebooks are the same. People generally feel that buying a product you receive something physical.

My mother-in-law was very interested in ereaders last year when I got mine as she reads ALOT and has a number of bookshelves (she buys books, not borrows). Anyway I sat down and we did a cost analysis of buying the paperback versus buying the ebook, and very quickly the savings paid off the initial price of the reader. But, did she get an ereader? No, she was concerned about not having something infront of her and to show her what she got for her money.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
A simple reason: nothing beats the experience of paper!
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
nimblem-

Same here, except it was my wife that cut me off. Apparently, "under the bed" isn't a good alternative when the bookshelves are full.

So the Kindle was my savior.

No complaints now.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
A simple reason: nothing beats the experience of paper!
Some people do love it. Personally, it makes me sneeze. Plus a reader is a lot more comfortable for me to hold than a book.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
While I'm a full convert, and use my Kindle for most of my book reading these days, I can certainly understand how people can prefer reading a paper book. I still love going to an old, small bookstore and going through old, dusty books, or discovering something interesting at a garage sale. One of the main reasons I got an ebook reader was because we started running out of room... Both me and my wife read a lot, so it just made sense.

I remember my first "real" book - three musketeers, in a 1920s, leather-bound cover. An experience that made me appreciate books as a kid. I really don't see that happening with Kindle's edition of three musketeers

Listening to old LP albums seems similar. Great, large covers, the experience of heaving to clean the record before playing it. Just seems like there was more to it. Now you just download an mp3. Again, I have an iPod, and buy most of my music via iTunes, but I think we have lost something here with the digital media.

Hundred years from now, when physical media for books, music, video, etc. is something only talked about in history classes, nobody will care. But now, during the transition phase if you will, it's still a little hard to give it up completely.
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
Geographical restrictions and the difference of formats may put someone that does not want to bother with those off. My mom goes for a walk to the library every week to borrow up to 11 books a week, I asked her If she wanted a kindle. She said that the titles she would read wouldn't be free.

It makes sense to just borrow free from the library especially if they have what you want to read. I on the other hand, never read much paper books. Before I got my kindle, I only read articles online or 1 paper book a year.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #15
Suzanne Tyrpak
writer
Suzanne Tyrpak began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
People don't know they can get Kindle for FREE

A lot of people haven't discovered they can download kindle for FREE onto their MAC, PC, IPAD. So you don't have to buy a kindle device in order to download books.

Suzanne

Suzanne Tyrpak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, converts, e-readers, kindle, technology